• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID install

just bought some HIDs for my Hella H1 Blacks
    anyone ever done the install?
    I have no clue
    I have seen the standard Hella H1 install instructions. Ill do the high beams like that, but my lows are now Philips H1 DS2s

for those that want to get a KILLER deal, here is where I got mine:
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1170987&page=1
    Cullen is one of the greatest guys for buying stuff
    I bought the Hella/Philips DS2 H1 4300K kit.

So, anyone here have Euro H1 lights with HIDs that could tell me what Im doing?
    1995 //S6

Your US 9006 connectors should plug directly into the HID ballast. Then, just connect the ballast to the bulb with the supplied cable and plug the H1s into place. This is actually easier than converting from 9006 to H1 (US to Euro). Note that you do NOT need to convert your US connectors to H1 connectors (unless you've got some whack kit that is different from every other HID kit I've seen )

Bottom line, it'll be clear when you look at all the parts in your garage.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris F.; 01-19-2004, 04:25 PM.

Comment

totally awesome!
      easy = good
      because I SUCK with wiring
      1995 //S6

Comment

sorry to revive an very old thread. I just bought a set of smileys from someone on ebay and want to go with HID's. What kit should I buy to make it work on my US spec M3? I don't want to order the wrong kit

edwin

Comment

You bought smiley's but you want to install hid's in your US spec units? Why? Just get the H1 HID set up for your new lights. I plan on get 4300K range for my de smoked lights.

I have some other maintance items before cosmectics thou.
          Who knows where I'll be, changes from day to Continent.

Comment

I guess I wasn't clear... I meant to say that I want to install hid's on the smileys and wanted to know which HID kit would fit. H1's it is...thanks. I wish I could afford the smoked lights... those are pimp

Edwin

Comment

There is a way to do them cheap, You take them apart but it's not easy. I just get mine when I am in Germany.

I have two sets now and kit bash lights together. Euro lights are H1 low's H1 highs.

Comment

You have two sets of smoked smileys? If so, want to sell one?

Edwin

Comment

No, The second set will be install in my wife's vert. It was just resprayed and has a hardtop so the Blue/Black late model will look awesome.

I just have to decide what wheels for it, but I don't Trust her to avoid potholes enough yet.

What you can do is order them in pieces aka Hella sells the low beam outer sections seperate and the high beam assy for 52 euro each roughly.

I used to buy them new and sell them them that way a few years back when I lived in Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris F. View Post
                    Your US 9006 connectors should plug directly into the HID ballast. Then, just connect the ballast to the bulb with the supplied cable and plug the H1s into place. This is actually easier than converting from 9006 to H1 (US to Euro). Note that you do NOT need to convert your US connectors to H1 connectors (unless you've got some whack kit that is different from every other HID kit I've seen )

Bottom line, it'll be clear when you look at all the parts in your garage.

Chris
                    Im trying to do this as well, and I think the problem Im having is that there are no 9006 connectors on my car. When I pull the connector off from the back of the lights, there are connectors that have either 3 prongs or 2 prongs. Should I go to an auto supply store and buy some 9006 connectors, cut off the connectors from the car and splice them together?
                    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
                    Andrew

91 e30 M3 - White on Tan
                    05 e46 M3 - Silver on Red
                    11 X5 5.0 - Silver on black

Comment

Originally posted by OLDTM3R View Post
                      sorry to revive an very old thread. I just bought a set of smileys from someone on ebay and want to go with HID's. What kit should I buy to make it work on my US spec M3? I don't want to order the wrong kit

edwin
                      Xentec is the brand I have, with 6000k for bright white output...been in the car for 2 years

Comment

Originally posted by STR8M3 View Post
                        Im trying to do this as well, and I think the problem Im having is that there are no 9006 connectors on my car. When I pull the connector off from the back of the lights, there are connectors that have either 3 prongs or 2 prongs. Should I go to an auto supply store and buy some 9006 connectors, cut off the connectors from the car and splice them together?
                        My e30 has a CATS system and when I installed it I pulled apart some old bulbs and made my own connector out of them. In my supra on the other hand has a kit by McCulloch which already had the connectors on it. Whatever way you go at least run a new fused power and relay the lights so you don't burn up your car harness.

Originally posted by drinaldis
                        I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

question as to hooking up city lights and hids for a us spec m3. any info is appreciated thanks.

Comment

I think most graft them into the parking light harness between the lens and the vehicle wiring. That way it can be replaced without choping up the car wiring.

Originally posted by drinaldis
                            I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

I just installed mine a week or 2 ago. just unplug light plug in ballast not hard it's just a plug and play. some HID lights come with a extra connector that you cut off only after you test run them of course and all is good. I read somewhere for city lights you can also get a long enough wire to run from where the wire plugs into the parking light so you don't have to cut into your wiring

Comment

Working...
                              X