Euro elipsoid questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euro elipsoid questions

I know many of you have done the conversion, and i'm finally getting around to doing it myself probably tommorrow, a few questions for ya guys.

1. Is there anything special needed for the conversion? ( relays, etc) I found a couple tech articles that walk you through it, but I like to be completly filled with knowledge before doing it.

2. What is a good replacment bulb for the city light slot? the pair I got didn't have them in there. just need the bulb number, i'm sure th elocal Pep boys has the bulb.

3. Should I mess with the connectors? I'm also going to be upgrading to the Philips ultinon HID kit, the kit is an H1 setup to just plug and play with the euro H1's and that shouldn't be a problem. Could it be as simple as plugging the ballasts into the stock headlight connectors (9006), and then to the H1's?

4. Last one, i've always liked the yellow bulb/cibie style. Instead of spending money on a Cibie housing, I just want to get the yellow'ish effect in the brights. Anyone know of a good manufacturer for yellow H1 high beam bulbs? PIAA? HELLA? What wattage should I go for?
    Last edited by Highrever; 05-15-2004, 12:11 PM.

The Chuck giveth, and the Chuck taketh away

Just finished the install yesterday. I didnt use any special relays or wiring techniques. In fact, I just used the factory connectors with the supplied Hella adapters on the lows and removed the high beam wire/plug from the low side on the vehicle harness. I then used the supplied plugs to tap into the running lights and plugged that into the factory lamp plug where I removed the high wire. This way I can always go back to stock by replacing the high plug back into the harness.

For the high beams, I plugged the adapter wires (green ones with the plug) into the lights and then placed an adapter plug on the other end that plugs into the factory high beam stuff. Actually its a bit hard to say on paper without pictures, but Im sure that if have any experience in wiring it should be zero problems as far as tecnicality is concerned. With the HIDS, I think that they include a relay and fuse setup that should be used to power the transformers. You should probably use that rather than power the thing off of old wiring. The running current on HIDS is low, but I think that the startup current is rather high. Here is where old wiring will bite the dust or at worse, catch the car on fire.

Good luck on everything. You can PM me if you need any help.

Comment

Originally posted by Highrever View Post
      I know many of you have done the conversion, and i'm finally getting around to doing it myself probably tommorrow, a few questions for ya guys.

1. Is there anything special needed for the conversion? ( relays, etc) I found a couple tech articles that walk you through it, but I like to be completly filled with knowledge before doing it.

2. What is a good replacment bulb for the city light slot? the pair I got didn't have them in there. just need the bulb number, i'm sure th elocal Pep boys has the bulb.

3. Should I mess with the connectors? I'm also going to be upgrading to the Philips ultinon HID kit, the kit is an H1 setup to just plug and play with the euro H1's and that shouldn't be a problem. Could it be as simple as plugging the ballasts into the stock headlight connectors (9006), and then to the H1's?

4. Last one, i've always liked the yellow bulb/cibie style. Instead of spending money on a Cibie housing, I just want to get the yellow'ish effect in the brights. Anyone know of a good manufacturer for yellow H1 high beam bulbs? PIAA? HELLA? What wattage should I go for?
      I know this is 2 years ago that you posted this but do you still have the info of the articles that give you info on this issue? I have a 1991 M3 with the sealed lights and just changed over to ellipsoids and can not find any info on how to hook up the high beams without blowing a fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by wookie1976 View Post
        The running current on HIDS is low, but I think that the startup current is rather high. Here is where old wiring will bite the dust or at worse, catch the car on fire.
        The high current upon ignition of the HID's travels between the ballast and the bulb. This will not affect your factory wiring.
        Jason

'88 Zinno M3
        '78 IHC Scout II
        '99 Ducati 996

Comment

it's a totally different conversion depending on what your car came with. I've done the conversion on two sealed beam cars. If your car has sealed beam lights you will need new connectors. The list of necessary connectors is in a thread from a few months ago, I remember posting it for someone else on here. If you have US Ellips I can't help you...

Comment

Working...
          X