HELP!!!!Sealed beam to Ellipsoid conversion? Headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!!!Sealed beam to Ellipsoid conversion? Headlights

Let me preface by saying I searched here, SIG archives and Google. Not one difinative post on this subject.

The body shop got in the complete ellipsoid housings from BMW. The car had US spec sealed beam headlights. I know www.e30m3therealm3.com has a DIY on the conversion but it starts with an ellipsoid car and goes from there.

Does anyone have a write up or can describe the wiring mods required to get Ellipsoid headlights to work on a sealed beam car?

TIA,

Matt

I am of no help, since I'm about to try doing the same thing. I need the number for the orange low-beam plugs shown on that tech article. My "new" DE's were shipped after being just unplugged from the original car, and I certainly don't have the right plugs to wire them in. I'll do a search, but I suspect I'm going to get the same results Matt did.

Comment

Originally posted by Beau
      I am of no help, since I'm about to try doing the same thing. I need the number for the orange low-beam plugs shown on that tech article. My "new" DE's were shipped after being just unplugged from the original car, and I certainly don't have the right plugs to wire them in. I'll do a search, but I suspect I'm going to get the same results Matt did.
      Beau, I will ask the Sig, and report back if they come up with anything.

Comment

Here's this too...

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...ht=Euro+lights

I still need PN's for the connectors... I can't find them anywhere. A lot of the weblinks are busted.

Comment

http://www.archercc.net/tech/lighting.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Beau
            Here's this too...

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...ht=Euro+lights

I still need PN's for the connectors... I can't find them anywhere. A lot of the weblinks are busted.
            Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

This link works in the thread, you just have to cut and paste it into a browser and then click lighting.
            http://www.archercc.net/acc.htm

Yet again s14.net comes through.

I will make sure that I post the connector numbers when I get them.

Comment

Matt-

I've got an extra set you can have (sealed beam units)-

Drop me an e-mail if you want them= [email protected]-

Take Care Bud-
              Don McAdams
              Don McAdams
              1988 E30 M3
              "E30 M3 Owner & Enthusiast"

www.McAdamsAutoSport.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian3
                http://www.archercc.net/tech/lighting.htm
                Yep, that's the link I used. Towards the bottom of that page he tells you how to keep your low beams on when you use the high beams. Jumping the fuses worked perfectly. Just remember to solder the connections.

Comment

anyone know how to wire the lights so you cna put the foglights on without the headlights being on?

Comment

Originally posted by ADA///M
                    anyone know how to wire the lights so you cna put the foglights on without the headlights being on?
                    Here is the info I saved when I still had Fogs.

From the SIG.

1 way to have your fogs on with your parking light is to run a wire between #30 and #85a of your light relay. This will power the fog with the parking lights on. Its a 5 minute job.

Tim Ng
                    95 BUZZNM3
                    92 325ic M-Technic
                    91 M3 street car
                    88 M3/2.5 track car

http://members.roadfly.com/kcroncarter/phu.GIF
                    http://www.corvetteforum.com/zeroimg...es/driving.gif

Comment

gracias

Comment

Originally posted by ADA///M
                        gracias
                        De nada

Comment

Originally posted by HaroldC View Post
                          Yep, that's the link I used. Towards the bottom of that page he tells you how to keep your low beams on when you use the high beams. Jumping the fuses worked perfectly. Just remember to solder the connections.
                          Can anyone remind me what relays/pin #'s to jumper to get the highs & lows to work together?
                          I had to remove my jumper wire over the winter, and now I can't remember where it went. :( All the install links on this website are broken or no longer active...

doh!

Thanks,
                          Chris
                          Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
                            Can anyone remind me what relays/pin #'s to jumper to get the highs & lows to work together?
                            I had to remove my jumper wire over the winter, and now I can't remember where it went. :( All the install links on this website are broken or no longer active...

doh!

Thanks,
                            Chris
                            Bueller? :hi:
                            Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post

doh!

Thanks,
                              Chris
                              The information I have is for a standard E30, not an M3 so there may be differences. This is an excerpt from a document I downloaded from the web years ago:

"The only step left is altering the relay wiring so all 4 lights
                              come on when you engage the high beams. Note: This is not
                              required for the lights to work and if done improperly could
                              be dangerous and damaging. Thanks to david90is off BEN
                              for this tip.

To do this you must first identify the high and low beam relay, to be certain
                              you will want to have the Bentely manual handy to confirm the placement in the
                              fuse box. Remove the relays and locate pin number 30 on
                              each relay. Tap a small hole in the very top of the pins with
                              about 1/16th of an inch between the hole and the relay
                              housing. Feed a small amount of 18ga wire through the hole
                              of the low beam relay, then bend it back so it would be
                              pointing toward the high beam relay. Wrap it around the
                              section of wire. Its not a problem if there is some insulation
                              touching the part where its wrapped, just as long as there is
                              nothing but bare wire touching the relay pin. When the wire's
                              wrapped solder the twisted part together, any insulation in
                              the way should burn back while soldering. Do the same to
                              the other relay making sure that youhave them aligned right
                              so they will go back in with this jumper attached.

Reintall the relays and enjoy some incredibly bright high
                              beams. The only glitch with this setup is the fog lights do not
                              turn off when you engage the high beams. I have yet to
                              experience any ill affects since I don't use the high beams
                              unless I am moving and the alternator is supplying enough
                              power. Enjoy!

-Ryan Stewart"

Here's a pic of the E30 M3 fusebox:
                              Last edited by ///M3 Terr; 05-01-2008, 07:03 PM.
                              Terrance

Comment

Working...
                              X