Car won't start after intake gasket job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car won't start after intake gasket job

Hey guys. I was FINALLY able to get the car back together today and needless to say it won't start. Now it's been sitting for around 5 weeks with the battery in the car so I am thinking that it's not strong enough to crank over the motor so it's on a battery tender right now.

If that isn't it...anybody else have any other ideas? I did replace the distribution piece within the TB's and the idle screw isn't set just yet...would the idle screw keep the car from starting?

Thanks for the input!

Is it turning over? Is the TPS, AFM, and ICV plugged in? It may take some cranking to get fuel back into the rail.

T

Comment

hey...yeah, everything is plugged in and it is turning over. My guess is that the battery isn't producing enough juice to crank it enough????

Comment

Originally posted by ///Mflossin
        hey...yeah, everything is plugged in and it is turning over. My guess is that the battery isn't producing enough juice to crank it enough????
        Well now it is probably flooded too. If it is cranking slower than normal, put a charger on your battery to get it up to strength.

Pull your plugs and make sure they are not fouled. If they are, you'll want to dry them out before you try again.
        "E30 M3 . . . it's the perfect toy for an upscale closet wild man." Car and Driver, 1988 M3 Road Test

Comment

You may have switched the fuel lines......
          2000 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
          1995 Porsche 993
          2001 BMW 530iA Sport (hers)
          2004 Ford F-150 FX4
          2005 KTM 450EXC (More fun than all of the above)

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Replica
          1985 BMW M635CSI
          2001 BMW M3
          1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

Comment

also make sure you've got all the vacuum lines hooked up. When I did the M5 paper gaskets, I forgot to hook up one of the vacuum lines to the intake and it wouldn't start. I had to take most of the intake off to find it .......

Comment

Originally posted by jmarch
              You may have switched the fuel lines......
              Interesting...the fuel lines sorta line up though...no? You would have to criss-cross them to mess them up right?....Here is how they are set up....

Last edited by ///Mflossin; 12-29-2004, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Also...If my fuel lines were crossed would there be any other things happening or the car just not turning over? Thanks!

Comment

It is possible to switch them and not know it. Try switching them the other way and see if 1. they will reach and 2. if the car will start.
                  2000 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
                  1995 Porsche 993
                  2001 BMW 530iA Sport (hers)
                  2004 Ford F-150 FX4
                  2005 KTM 450EXC (More fun than all of the above)

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Replica
                  1985 BMW M635CSI
                  2001 BMW M3
                  1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

Comment

Originally posted by jmarch
                    It is possible to switch them and not know it. Try switching them the other way and see if 1. they will reach and 2. if the car will start.
                    I just tried jumping the car and no dice...I am going to switch the fuel lines now...hopefully that is the issue.

Comment

fuel lines are lined up as follows: White dot line nearest the coolant expansion tank and brow/red dot line closest to TB's. The car still won't start...now I am wondering if the plugs are fouled????????????? Looks like I should pull them and have a look. I suck at this shit.

Plugs are out...they look fine. Is there a way to tell if they are wet or not without them obviously being wet? They look good to me....:rolleyes:

This is really starting to piss me off....
                      Last edited by ///Mflossin; 12-30-2004, 03:07 AM.

Comment

help guys....I am desperate!

My wife is ready to kick me in the nuts....cursing back and forth as I travel from the kitchen to the computer room! [done]

Comment

are you getting spark?

Comment

Mick,
                            I hope so!!!!! Is there an easy way to tell?

Comment

:idea: if you have spark, not sure about 5 weeks but it could also be bad fuel :sosad: clogged injectors:sosad: did you check the fuel pump when you had the fuel lines off turn it over be sure to catch the fuel in a container good luck
                              Last edited by bmhappy; 12-30-2004, 03:49 AM.
                              " I must be a terrible driver, all the bugs are on the side of my car"

Comment

Working...
                              X