Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get it up? Well I can't get it DOWN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get it up? Well I can't get it DOWN!

:p

My idle that is! I can't get my idle down. Everything works...I have the TPS set so that the slightest movement from idle there is a click. TPS connector is grounded and idle set screw is maxed out inwards. Idle is still above 1K. Damn...what gives. The throttle cable is fine and is adjusted. I just completed intake seals but all vacuum lines are new, sturdy and plugged in. Any suggestions and/or help would be greatly appreciated. I have also sync'd the throttle bodies so that they are dead even with the carbtune II. That tool is butter for anybody considering buying it...I highly recommend it.

intake leak?
    A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Originally posted by TeamM3
      intake leak?
      I sure as hell hope not!!! Intake gaskets are good, runners and plenum have all new rubber seals.

Comment

ICV?
        A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Originally posted by TeamM3
          ICV?
          Dunno? I know that before I did the job the car idled ok. It would stumble a hair when it was cold but when it warmed up it was fine and absolutely NEVER hunted coming down to stop for a stop sign or stop light. Is it common for the TPS or ICV to go bad? The valve looked clean when I took it out for the intake job.

Comment

Disconnect the baro/altitude sensor.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Stupid but overlooked component could be retaining clip for cruise control on strut tower, make sure it did not pull through and get stuck.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nick-NY
                Stupid but overlooked component could be retaining clip for cruise control on strut tower, make sure it did not pull through and get stuck.
                I removed the CC a while ago so it's not that.

Baro/alt sensor???? Where is this located?

Comment

baro sensor is located right next to the upper section of the air filter housing attached to the support bracket, it is a 1 x 2 inch black box that has a bubble shape and a connector.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ah yes...I just searched and found a bunch of stuff. Would this box really cause a high idle though if it was no good. I guess that I should unplug it and run the car to see what happens.

Comment

I've never heard of the baro sensor causing a high idle ... the bottom line is air is getting past the throttle body from some source, you'll have to track it down

did you do a search on "high idle"?

Comment

yes....I did.

Comment

I just went outside and ran the car. With the baro sensor unplugged...it runs the exact same. It will idle at around 1050-1100 RPM. Then, after it warms up a bit, the idle will raise up to around 1300 and stay there. then, when I blip the throttle, the idle will go back to around 1050 and raise up to around 1300 or so and stay there. I am starting to think that maybe the TPS isn't set up just right? Will the car idle high at 1300 if the TPS isn't set up just right?
                          Last edited by ///Mflossin; 01-02-2005, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Must be somethng disturbed during the intake seal (gasket?) replacement. The car I will be collecting this coming week has the same problem or similar problem ,as well as a bit of a cough and splutter hessitation at 4500rpm which is probably a seperate issue, after recently having these gaskets replaced so if you find out the reason please let me know or post here.
                            Last edited by Darren M; 01-02-2005, 08:02 AM.

1988 Evo II

2006 Z4 3.0Si Sport Coupe

Comment

take a can of brake clean or carb cleaner and spray lightly around all intake gaskets, boots and lines, if there is any idle fluctuation inspect the area for cracks. also spray around the boot after the airflow sensor(they have a tendancy to crack on the bottom when moved)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X