For the love of GOD! Somebody Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the love of GOD! Somebody Help!

The car started making a horrible noise last week. It sounded like a diesel going down the road. It ran fine, but sounded horrible. I thought it might be the timing chain tensioner but wanted a second opinion, so I took it to the local BMW shop. They concurred and wanted about $1100 to fix it. So, I politely thanked them for their diagnosis, ponied up the $100 bucks for their two cents and went on my way. After a 45 minute drive home and about two blocks from the house the car stalls. I start it back up and not more then 30 seconds later it stalls again. I barely make it to the house, but manage. I park the car and go to pop the hood..... It doesn't open. I pulled apart the interior latch, but no go. I have a headache, I'm pissed, and I can't get the hood open to see how bad they f'd up my car. Can somebody, please, for the love of God, tell me how to open the hood when the interior latch won't.

There's a release lever behind the drivers side grill. Just stick a long flat head screw driver in to unlatch the hood. You should be able to see part of the mechanism.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

THrough the right grill, top left of the High beam, look for a whole. Throw a flathead screw driver in and turn it. Use a long screw driver. You'll know when you see it.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Re: For the love of GOD! Somebody Help!

Originally posted by VegasS14
        I thought it might be the timing chain tensioner but wanted a second opinion, so I took it to the local BMW shop. They concurred and wanted about $1100 to fix it
        What was included in this? Timing chain / rails / guides / etc?

It doesn't open. I pulled apart the interior latch, but no go. I have a headache, I'm pissed, and I can't get the hood open to see how bad they f'd up my car.
        Why do you think they fucked your car up? Did your hood open before this? Was the car running rough?

Comment

They wanted $1100 to pull the engine, take it apart, and give me a better estimate of what might be wrong. The car runs great, besides the noise. I did get the hood open, thanks to those who responded. Also, it appears that the coupler on the bottom front of the air accumulator broke off, or came apart rather. It seems to slide on and off now. When it's off, the car won't stay running, so a little duct tape is keeping it on right now. Has anybody else had this problem? Also, has anyone changed their timing chain tensioners and how tough is it? Do I really need to take the motor out?

Comment

I just did my tensioner, last night, I had to unbolt the AC compressor to access it (the other way is to take the hood and the radiator off. I continued the AC removal, and actually left it off since it didn't work anyway and there wasn't any freon in the system. But, for you, I would reccommend just unbolting it, swinging it out of the way and there you go... btw this is all from the underside

The old tensioner will explode when you remove it, but if you use the more popular E36 replacement, it goes in no problem. HTH

Beau

Comment

How exactly do you mean "explode"? From what I've read, it's under preasure, but will it really come shooting out? Did you have the same problem with the noisy engine? Also, where did you get your parts and for how much?

Comment

By explode, I mean since it's in two pieces with a large spring, the inner section will come shooting out at you if you aren't careful. It's not enough to do any substantial damage or anything, just might catch you off guard if you weren't expecting it. I got my new one from BavAuto sometime ago, useing the Euro M3 part number, I don't have the number or price right in front of me, but it was somewhere in the range of $100 I believe. There's another thread that recently listed the proper number - just run a search. I replaced mine mostly because it was leaking oil all over the place, but I did have a slight rattle for the first few seconds of start up with the old tensioner. Especially if I parked the car with the nose up. After changing it, the engine made a horrible ruckus for about 20 seconds, but now it's perfectly quiet.

Comment

That noise will occur because the tensioner is empty with pressurized oil (if it is newly changed). Initially, it will have airlock and oil pressure will take sometime to build up inside the tensioner. There is a bleed point at the end of the tensioner. This screw can be loosened a bit to purge the trapped air.

audibm

Comment

Thanks everybody. I've ordered the tensioner from BavAuto yesterday for $108. I told the guy that I had an E30 M3 but wanted the updated tensioner from the E36, and he exactly what I was talking about. I should have time next weekend to install it, so I'll let you know if it takes care of my diesel sounding M3.

Comment

Here is a shot of the stock tensioner as it is removed from the threaded bore. I am currently rebuilding my 2.3.

Comment

For good measure check your...

rotors and cap too.
                        Dont believe all you hear, spend all you have and sleep all you want...
                        89 BMW M3
                        00 Mitsubishi Evo 6.5 TME
                        94 MBenz E500

Comment

I was going to give it tune-up while I had it apart. Has anyone tried one of BavAuto's tune-up kits? Also, do I really need a special tool to remove spark plugs or will a plug socket work?

Comment

You need a special tool, a spark plug socket will NOT work. Luckily, you should have your tool in the tool kit located in the trunk. It consists of two round metal tubes, with one having a hex end on it. They lock together and then there's a solid metal rod with a plastic handle that you use to turn the contraption... hopefully that doesn't sound totally confusing. Anyway, if your car has lost the tool, you definitely need to get a replacement.

I don't know anything about the "tune-up" kits.

Beau

Comment

For the love of GOD! Somebody Help!

I know this is an 'Ancient' thread, but "Adminstrator" has locked me out and I cannot start a new thread for some reason:shit:.

So, here's my story:

Of late(2-3 weeks) I noticed some loss of power and most noticeably a missfire upon acceleration. I know that I am due for a tune-up soon as it's been 4-5K since my last S/P change. I thought maybe a fouled plug or clogged injector and had planned to plugs, so in the meantime I put some injector cleaner in my last fill-up on Sunday. Same runnability Monday and Tuesday, but on way home form work she really starts to hesitate and not accelerate, until finally there's no power upon squeezing the throttle. I pull over and try to re-start and it will not. I wait a few minutes and try again, but to no avail. Cranks fine but nothing else. I check the wires for breaks, pull them and re-insert including coil. Try again, same result. Pull cap and checked rotor and looked fine. Again, no start. Pulled backseat and tapped on fuel pump, tried once more and it started up but this time with an "ungodly diesel-like sound" so I immediately shut it off!! Now I'm screwed. Towed her home, tucked her in the garage and not sure what to check next:(. Timing chain? Kind of afraid to crank her over again.

Any suggestions?

Again I say:

"For the love of GOD! Somebody Help!"

Thanks in advance for assistance.
                              Paul
                              :sosad:sigpic
                              1989 E30 M3 (Sold, sorely missed)
                              1972 911T (sold, but not forgotten)
                              04 Audi 1.8T Ultrasport (sold)
                              78 Porsche 911SC(sold)

Comment

Working...