No announcement yet.

For the love of GOD! Somebody Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change the plugs first, I'm almost sure that's your problem, our cars can even run on 2 working plugs
    Godspeed,
    John A.
    "If your ship doesnt come in, swim to it..."

M3 e30 2.5L | R8 v8 6mt | 996 GT3 mk1 | Integrale Evo Martini 6 | Dallara F303/4 Toms | Defender 90 NAS

Comment

Could be dozens of things. I suggest verifying every single system. Start with spark, then fuel. Check sparkplugs, wires then caps. And so on...

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
      1989 M3 racecar
      e39 Touring

Comment

Misfire on acceleration would make me start with proper fuel pressure. Ethanol makes old fuel pumps very sad pandas. Especially in E30s with old fuel tanks.
        2011 BMW M3 Alpinweiß
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
        1990 325is Brilliantrot

1989 M3 Alpinweiß
        Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
        Hers: 1989 325iX Zinnoberrot

Comment

Thanks for you input guys,
          So far I've pulled the plug wires and tested for spark(GOOD), pulled the plugs(They look good, thanks MHENNA for letting me borrow your SP Tool), Wires and connections to Alt all look good, fuses all GOOD, checked out in line fuel filter and the small one was clean, listened to hear fuel pump engaging and "nothing". Leads me to think maybe fuel relay, fuel pump, a possible culprit? It only cranks over, but does not catch. I can smell a little fuel though. Hmmmh. What else?

Thanks!
          :sosad:sigpic
          1989 E30 M3 (Sold, sorely missed)
          1972 911T (sold, but not forgotten)
          04 Audi 1.8T Ultrasport (sold)
          78 Porsche 911SC(sold)

Comment

i don't get some forum member really!
            okay to change tensioner is a breeze you dont need to remove ac.
            dont worry about spring its nothing .i put a 1995 e36 tensioner on took me 5 minutes.
            jack up passenger side lay under car remove old tensioner put in new one wow so hard!

Comment

i will give anyone $1k if you can change the tensioner in 5 mins.
              Chairman of the Bored--Live Sockets Entertainment

Comment

The tensioner can be done fairly quickly when replacing with the S50/S52 tensioner.
                Also, it can be done without jacking the car up and accessed with from the top.

Comment

Disributor Cap and Rotor Arm ?

Comment

Originally posted by allmotorking View Post
                    i will give anyone $1k if you can change the tensioner in 5 mins.
                    were you live i'm in orange county i will take that challenge 1k gets me more parts.
                    okay uhm unscrew they oem tensioner and screw in new e36 tensioner.yes theres allot of threads but come on its about the same as changing a spark plug.just have to get to it .
                    i even used a socket to put the e36 one back on .i changed the oil filter housing gasket in the amount of time it took you to change the tensioner lol.30 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by Davew View Post
                      Disributor Cap and Rotor Arm ?
                      They looked fine as stated in my original post. Thanks.
                      78 Porsche 911SC(sold)

Comment

I thought the car runs, I would still change the plugs, impossible to tell if it's still good by looking at it and if still doesn't worK move on to the next system...which maybe the sensor wires on the flywheel since you checked the other obvious systems.
                        Godspeed,
                        John A.
                        "If your ship doesnt come in, swim to it..."

M3 e30 2.5L | R8 v8 6mt | 996 GT3 mk1 | Integrale Evo Martini 6 | Dallara F303/4 Toms | Defender 90 NAS

Comment

Originally posted by DTM LGND View Post
                          Thanks for you input guys,
                          So far I've pulled the plug wires and tested for spark(GOOD), pulled the plugs(They look good, thanks MHENNA for letting me borrow your SP Tool), Wires and connections to Alt all look good, fuses all GOOD, checked out in line fuel filter and the small one was clean, listened to hear fuel pump engaging and "nothing". Leads me to think maybe fuel relay, fuel pump, a possible culprit? It only cranks over, but does not catch. I can smell a little fuel though. Hmmmh. What else?

Thanks!
                          Do you have any measurements? Resistance of wires. Sparkplug gap? A part can "look good", yet be deffective. Sparkplugs are cheap. Change them. If any doubt on wires, change them. Visual inspection is only a small part of the testing required to deem a part good or bad.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                          1989 M3 racecar
                          e39 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by jlasuncion View Post
                            I thought the car runs, I would still change the plugs, impossible to tell if it's still good by looking at it and if still doesn't worK move on to the next system...which maybe the sensor wires on the flywheel since you checked the other obvious systems.
                            Thanks JL. MHENNA came over SAT and we looked at a few things, pulled the flywheel sensors. One had some slight nicks on it, the other none. Wiring looked intact. Tried to crank over again and still wouldn't catch. Noticeable tapping from front of the bellhousing led us to that area. Sounds like it wants to start, just seems way out of time. Unplugged sensor wires in engine compartment one at at time and same result although during test of the gray lead, the battery started to lose juice cranking motor over. Will try again later.

Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
                            Do you have any measurements? Resistance of wires. Sparkplug gap? A part can "look good", yet be deffective. Sparkplugs are cheap. Change them. If any doubt on wires, change them. Visual inspection is only a small part of the testing required to deem a part good or bad.
                            You're right, thanks Lee.
                            78 Porsche 911SC(sold)

Comment

OK, finally brought the car down to my buddy's shop in town. Found the the in-tank fuel pump bad faulty and fired it up, idled fine for a bit then died. Checked fuel pressure and got only 1.8bar, main fuel pump out as well. Replaced both + inline/pre-filter and boom, she's up running strong again.
                              Thanks for all your input[peace]. Just glad it wasn't much more than that!

Paul
                              78 Porsche 911SC(sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X