Proper Idle Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Idle Speed

I recently picked up an 88 M3 after quite a bit of hunting. The motor was rebuilt around 7k miles by the previous owner. Anway it seems to idle a bit higher than I was expecting, around 900rpm or so when warm.

After reading quite a few posts regarding ICV and DME failure I've started to get a bit worried and none of the posts directly mentioned what was a 'good' idle speed.

(hopes searchy doesn't yell at me )

1988 Silver E30 ///M3 - Sold
    1995 Yellow E46 ///M3 - Ex-GrandAm Cup Racecar
    1995 Silver E36 ///M3 - Crapwagon
    1995 Black E36 ///M3 - Crappier Crapwagon (Turbo)
    1995 Purple E36 ///M3 - Crappiest Crapwagon (Euro S50 powered)
    1969 BMW 2002/1602
    1986 BMW 325 turbo

base idle is suppose to be set to 880 +/- 50 rpm

as described in the archives :rolleyes: :p, to set base idle:

engine warm, proper operation, no intake leaks, all electrical & AC off, good air filter

disconnect throttle switch connector from wiring harness

on harness side of connector insert pins/wires/etc and ground all three pins in the connector together

adjust base idle, adjusting screw is located between valve cover and fuel rail just above the "M" in the "BMW M Power" lettering on the valve cover

technically you would do a throttle body air screw synch and set the CO afterward, then recheck the base idle again
    Last edited by TeamM3; 08-16-2004, 07:18 PM.
    A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

I'd also perform a valve adjustment before the 3 procedures that TeamM3 mentioned. These adjustments are really important to get an S14 running right.

Dean

Comment

^^^^^^^^^
        -Darren

Comment

Working...
        X