need help: car wont turn over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help: car wont turn over

i hear the starter clicking, and im too busy to investigate. the fuel in the car had basicly evaporated (under half a gallon) becuase it was parked for 3 weeks. i filled it today, and went to rank it. and it wont turn over. suggestions? cap/rotor? plugs? fuel pump?
    "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
    "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
    onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

it won't fire or it won't crank over?

None of those items you have listed have anything to with whether or not it won't crank over. They only determine whether or not it will fire as it cranks over.
    A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

i would check cap/rotor first as its so easy. a busted rotor or worn cap can easily hinder ignition. my rotor actually had the end piece break off once, cheap fix.

can you hear the fuel pump making any clicking or buzzing noises? take out the rear seat and try starting the car while tapping on the pump. sounds like a pump problem.

outta gas?

Comment

or if you have already done bijanH's remedy, take the feed fuel pressure line off the fuel rail and see if there is good pressure? Also take a plug wire out and put the plug in the wire. put t close to the valve cover and crank, if it sparkes alot, you have spark. Juswt some suggestions for a pal. Are you the carbon guy that sponsors Bill Bentzen BTW? I live like 5 houses down from him and He is like my second daddy!

///Matt
        -Matt

For Aftermarket Engine Management, Visit Electromotive Store:
        http://www.electromotivestore.com

Own a shop and need a better website?
        PM me or Visit http://www.shop-websites.com

Comment

Charge the battery first...starter click means not enough batt to turn the starter.
          After the battery has charged for 1/2 hour, stick your volt meter on it while you or a helper try to start the car.
          If the battery drops to 9V or less when the starter clicks, then you need a new battery.
          m

Comment

If the battery is ok, and you don't hear a 'click' when you turn the key, then it's probably the solenoid. This is located on top of the starter motor and can often get stuck through inactivity. Try getting a bar or length of wood (broom handle) against the solenoid and giving it a tap with a hammer.
            This may free it up for a while, but usually they will fail again sometime soon after (usually when it's peeing with rain, in a car park miles from anywhere...).
            Matt R

Comment

it wont crank. i checked for spark, it sparked, but it didnt seem right, ill check the cap and rotor later. But still the flywheel wont turn when i turn it on. it seems as if it is the starter getting stuck. ill try to check out this problem today when i get home from work.
              "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan

Comment

Check voltage at battery first should be around 13+
                Could be relay, don't know which one drives starter
                or else starter itself if all else proves ok.
                88M3 henna

73T100C
                97 540\6-Gone
                2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

How do you check for spark if the engine won't turn over?
                  A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

are you referring to battery spark or sparkplug spark?

this thread is giving me a headache :p

Comment

Originally posted by TeamM3
                      are you referring to battery spark or sparkplug spark?

this thread is giving me a headache :p
                      thats why i said it didnt seem right. i pulled out a plug wire, put in a nail, my friend held it over the valve cover bolt, i turned the ignition, and i got spark, yet the motor wont turn over. strange huh?

Comment

the first thing you need to do is get it to crank over; try another battery or jumping it with cables from another good one, usually the clicking noise means not enough juice from the battery as previously mentioned

Comment

we had the car hooked up to a battery jumper, and it is a brand new battery. it was only sitting for about 2 weeks without starting. no more then 2 weeks. anywya, im gonna try a list of things, first im gonna try jumping it off of a car, if not that, ill check the starter, and cap and rotor.

Comment

I know my battery would be dead after sitting for 3 weeks.

Comment

If it's just clicking and not turning over, check your battery first. If it's good, then this might mean there is low voltage going to your soleniod/starter motor. Try cleaning the terminals on your battery and at the soleniod/starter motor. Corrosion can really mess up your starting system.

Comment

Working...
                              X