need help: car wont turn over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrsha007
    , ill check the starter, and cap and rotor.
    again, the cap & rotor have nothing to do with the engine not turning over
    A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

yea i know.
      "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
      "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
      onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

Just smack the starter with something and start the damn car!!!!

Jordan
        "Never lift"

Comment

I talked to Shahe all he needed was a battery. Problem solved. I'll kick his ass next time I see him for you guys.

Comment

Although the problem's apperently solved I would like to make a contribution.

To rule out anything that has to do with the starter motor, the solenoid or any of the electric wiring running to it I would try to push start it. Get one or two persons to push the car (but open the trunk lid first else they'll crack your lid or spoiler) whilst you put the ignition on and have the car in second or 3rd gear and the clutch depressed. If they signal you they won't get any faster you dump the clutch. If it starts and runs you know the problem's not connected with fuel supply or spark.

Don't worry about your catalytic converter taking any damage from injected fuel which is not properly burned unless you plan starting your car like that every time

Comment

Push starting the car is not good for the clutch as well. If you were to push start it do it in reverse.

Jordan
              "Never lift"

Comment

Why choose the lowest gear ratio (i.e. reverse)?
                In my opinion the higher engine revs at a certain speed the car is being pushed only causes the car to come to an (almost) immediate standstill when you dump the clutch. I doubt theres enough time for the engine to fire up and depress the clutch immediately after to prevent it from stalling when the car halts.
                In 3rd the pushers will be able to keep the car rolling whilst the engine turns over and eventually fires up.

Comment

I always use 2nd for jump starting a car - the only time I've had to do this in the M3 (jammed starter motor) it got going almost immediately at quite a low speed (less than 2 car lengths) but the engine was warm and had been running just 20 minutes earlier.
                  Steve
                  Scottish Cecotto

Comment

Over 20 posts for a dead battery. Oh, the pain in my head.

Comment

bang a hammer on the starter a little bit. I believe it's got an internal solenoid, it could be stuck. Never had that problem with a foreign car, but I can't tell you how many GMC's and Ford's I've been under banging on starters. Worked plenty of times for me when it's just clicking and not turning over

dave

Comment

Hey guys, sorry to bring up old threads, but im having some possible starter issues.
                        Today, my car has been seeming to start a little "weaker" than normal (like when starter motor is running seems weaker, once it fires it fires up strong). Eventually i got a no start later in the day, no clicking like a dead battery, no attempt to even spin the motor. I did hear a sound like en electrical short underneath, like the starter was shorted... i put it in gear, rocked it back and forth, and bam she fired up! at first i thought "great, now i need a new starter!"... but then i got to thinking, the starter shouldnt have been engaged in a way that rocking the engine would affect it, right? What do you guys think?

Comment

better bringing up an old thread than starting a new one.

Try a new or charged battery first. The symptoms you describe point to that.
                          Rocking only wont start an engine as it requires a minimum amount of revs to start an engine that you wont achieve by rocking back & forth. Obviously it started so perhaps I understand you incorrectly.
                          Did you have the ignition key turned all the way to cranking position whilst rocking, or was the key in the 'ignition on' position. In the latter position the starter motor indeed is not engaged.
                          The sound like an electric short circuit was probably the starter solenoid activating and not succeeding due to low battery voltage.

Comment

Im sorry, it did sound like i said it started when i rocked it, lol. What i meant was that i rocked the car back and forth in gear after the no start, then i got back in and tried the key again, and then it started. Its like rocking it moved the flywheel position or starter. they key i believe was off when i rocked it, possibly in the ignition on position but definitely not crank position. the shorting sound seemed like the starter was stuck and shorting out, when i turned the key to crank, as a result.
                            Last edited by NickB; 08-18-2010, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X