Proper Belt Tension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Belt Tension?

As the original owner of this M3 I remember having belt squealing problems years ago in the early 90's but it has not been a problem for years, that is until I replaced all three belts last weekend and the squealing under hard acceleration came back. My question is, what is the proper tension on these belts and how do I know if I have achieved the proper tension other than that the squealing has gone away.

Well not only tension but also check your bracket for cracks, bolt wear, and alternator bushings!

Comment

Along with the belts I installed new delrin alternator bushings and the tensioning bracket that was replaced a year ago was still in good condition. Everything seems to be well aligned and and sturdy, I just dont know if I have the belts too tight or too loose.

Comment

I'm guessing it's your alternator belt? Could be? It should be as tight as yo ucan get it without having to cheat and use a foot. It would be impossible to tension it to much by hand. No matter how tight you wrench the belt, you will still be able to pluck and/or squeeze it and have slight movement.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

I think that I have set mine too loose then if you should only have slight movement. I will try tightening them up thanks Magnus.

Comment

Yeah! The problem is not just the sound, it's the lack of charging of your battery. Having the alternator work to recharge an almost dead battery as well as power a running car would leave you stranded in bubble-fuck. You could drive for 2 hours straight, stop to get some gas, then have the car not start-up 1 minute later when you'd like to leave the gas station.

The battery is there to reallly just start the car. Any extra draw will make you pay (such as dieing alternator, 4,000watt stereo, etc).

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Working...
            X