OBC lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBC lights

My guess is that the buttons on the OBC should illuminate when my headlight are turned on...but they don't. The Display works fine though. Is there any sort of easy fix for this? I'm guessing there is a bulb or two behind it...but I don't know the first thing about replacing it.Thanks for any advice

I thought this too but I'm not 100% sure they are supposed to. Anyone have an OBC with backlit text on the buttons?

Comment

When you hit the "check" button on the upper advisory panel, you should illuminate all bulbs including the yellow backlight identification of each bulb. Or , at least, mine did that last noc.
      m.

Comment

Not sure if Ty is talking about the same thing but I was refering to the OBC 'On-Board Computer' the LCD display is backlit okay I just thought that the buttons were suposed to be too (Range, Consum., Time, AV Speed etc.)

Comment

Yeah that exactly what i am talking about. I can read the display just fine...but the function button don't light up. I am sure there is a bulb or two back there that need replacing...but Idon't know where to begin

Comment

You are correct

Yes, the functional buttons are backlit and you'll need to replace the bulbs. Be careful however, I went to the dealership without being very specific and the parts guy gave me the backlight for the display instead of the bulbs to backlight the buttons. I'll tell you what, it's a bitch getting that OBC screwed back in.
            "Condoms break baby, Deal with it."

- Max Weinberg

Comment

anyone have a write-up on this? i don't know where to begin getting the obc out of the dash

Comment

Before you go and take out the OBC look for some pics first. I had mine out at one time, it has 2 bulbs in a light bar for the display and if I remember correctly a 3rd bulb for the buttons which is easily accessible. I "think" you can reach behind the dash and remove the single bulb for the buttons without removing the OBC. This will save a bit of work as it's a pain to get out.

Try dropping your glove box and looking around at the back of it.

Comment

Radioshack and got two 6v bulbs for $1.25 each and soldered them in. Works great for under $3 bucks.
                  Go here.:
                  http://www.bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/datacg...es&report=view
                  Last edited by ACM3; 11-06-2003, 06:55 PM.

Comment

http://www.bmwe30.net/
                    search: Articles for OBC install

Comment

Originally posted by ACM3
                      Radioshack and got two 6v bulbs for $1.25 each and soldered them in. Works great for under $3 bucks.
                      Go here.:
                      http://www.bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/datacg...es&report=view
                      That's a helpful article but it's only for replacing the bulbs behind the display. He needs to replace the bulb behind the buttons.

Comment

lights

on mine, the display light just went out, BUT each button, avg mph, range, m mph, etc,.... DO LIGHT UP

do you know if there is a bulb for the display?

Comment

http://www.bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/datacg...052&Section=02

Comment

The bulbs that light up the buttons are different from the bulbs that light up the light bar/LCD display. There are 1 or 2 socketed twist bulbs in back of the OBC that need to be changed like the ones on the back of the instrument cluster. I think they are small wedge bulbs.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                            85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                            91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

thanks again guys.... i am about to take apart my dash and re do the lights,.... i appreciate the help!

Comment

Working...
                              X