Comments on oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments on oil change

Probably I'm rehashing the obvious here, but I have found that just driving my car up on a couple of 2X6 boards lifts it enough to get a (low profile) drain pan under the motor, yet leaves it low enough to do the filter easily without moving it. I also find that if I take the rubber elbow between the AFM and the intake plenum off, wait till everything cools off, then put a bread sack over the old oil filter, that the filter change is easy enough. Peake tool will reset the service indicator lights on the dash.

I guess my point is that you don't need a lift or even a real shop to do your own oil change.

I hear so many horror stories about "stupid lube" joints, dealers charging an arm and a leg for an oil change, putting in the wrong oil, too much, not enough, stripping drain plugs, leaving drain plugs loose, etc. that I wanted to point out, particularly to the newer owners, that this is an easy DIY job.

:idea:

Good job!
    Christopher

www.brmmotorsports.com

Comment

Topsider oil change vacuum makes it all easier. You can vac your oil cooler with it too.

Comment

:surprised
        Originally posted by M3 Mitch View Post
        Probably I'm rehashing the obvious here, but I have found that just driving my car up on a couple of 2X6 boards lifts it enough to get a (low profile) drain pan under the motor, yet leaves it low enough to do the filter easily without moving it. I also find that if I take the rubber elbow between the AFM and the intake plenum off, wait till everything cools off, then put a bread sack over the old oil filter, that the filter change is easy enough. Peake tool will reset the service indicator lights on the dash.

I guess my point is that you don't need a lift or even a real shop to do your own oil change.

I hear so many horror stories about "stupid lube" joints, dealers charging an arm and a leg for an oil change, putting in the wrong oil, too much, not enough, stripping drain plugs, leaving drain plugs loose, etc. that I wanted to point out, particularly to the newer owners, that this is an easy DIY job.
        What I did was I know this carpenter who had a bunch of 2X6 and screw/nailed them together. He then had to saw cut the ends for the incline. All same length & width. When I got them back, I did the final hammering of any protruding nails to be counter sunk and get my sander to sand down all rough spots. That way, no wood splinters, nails or anything to cut the rubbers. Kinda heavy tho....Yes, you are right, they are high enough for an oil change and also high enough for my hydraulic jacks to roll under to the lifting points......:smile2:
        Lawrence

BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742
        '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen
        '09 540i Touring 6 Spd - Son's DD
        '03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD
        '03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - My DD & Range truck
        '05 330i ZHP 6 Spd - Alternate DD
        '15 Honda Pilot - Daughter's & Grandkids Hauler

Comment

My oil drain plug just spins freelly??? Its not leaking oil but I want to do an oil change...

Anyone have this issue??

Should I just use a topside oil vacuum....

Comment

Yeah topside remove it for cautious reasons, good to know it's not leaking

Comment

check out this DIY ramp on mustangworld.

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwramps/index.htm
              Chairman of the Bored--Live Sockets Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by allmotorking View Post
                check out this DIY ramp on mustangworld.

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwramps/index.htm
                man oh man. My friend showed me that same thread this morning.

Comment

Working...
                X