X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ///Mflossin
    replied
    Originally posted by Dougy Fresh
    you guys are worrying way to much about oil mobil is fine.
    Just curious as to why you think/perceive that anybody is worrying?

Leave a comment:

• M3 Mitch
    replied
    Anyone who really cares, go on over to "Bobistheoilguy" website, they have extensive discussions there - although I would say that the new Mobil 1 15-50 is at least as good as the previous version (just my opinion, not based on any research!) and the "Extended Service" stuff is no doubt better yet - you don't *have* to run it for 15,000 miles between changes, and probably in the S14 you shouldn't -

Redline is good stuff and it's an ester-based oil, while Mobil is mostly PAO. Ester-based oils do have some extreme condition advantages, they may or may not be important to you depending on how you drive. Remembering that the S14 has some oiling issues somewhere over 7000, if you habitually wind your motor up to the limit, it may be cheap insurance.

Do the math - in 3000 miles you for damn sure burn 100 gallons of gas, right (30 MPG) ? For high test around here that's $325.90 or more - the differential cost of Redline at 8.95/qt is no more than say $8 per quart so for 5 quarts $40 - and that's if you are driving VERY conservatively as if MPG was you main goal, and changing the Redline at 3000 - both are extreme cases that I picked off the top of my head just to make the math easier - as I am always saying cheap oil makes no sense in these cars.

Leave a comment:

• Dougy Fresh
    replied
    you guys are worrying way to much about oil mobil is fine.

Leave a comment:

• jht3
    replied
    I switched to Castrol TWS 10W-60 at my last oil change under the advice of James M at RRT. i can't remember the price per liter (yes, the bottles are in liters) but it's in the ballpark of $6-7 i think. Can be had at the dealer with the BMW CCA discount

compared to the 15W-50, the castrol should be easier on the engine when cold (10W compared to 15W) and better on the track in the summer (60 instead of 50)

Leave a comment:

• AlpineRunner
    replied
    After reading Redline's website I will be switching to them for the M. I always thought redline was a no detergent oil which kinda turned me off because the M is a street car for me and I wanted some detergents. Their website specifies a racing and a street oil. I will be using the 10-40 Redline street from now on. I would use it for the 5 too, but at $8.95 quart?! F*CK ME?!

Leave a comment:

• M3shark
    replied
    Seems acording to the link above that the author recomends Shell Helix Ultra 15W-50 as one of the best 50wt oils? Has anyone ever used this, or seen it? i have never heard of it and dont remember seeing it on any store shelves around me, However, i might have walked by it a thousand times.

I ask this because i am wondering weather i should stay with mobil 1 15w-50 or switch to something else.

Leave a comment:

• /christopher
    replied
    Does this come with a Coles Notes?

Leave a comment:

• Bruce
    replied
    Interesting reading...it is VERY VERY long.

http://members.rennlist.com/oil/Motor%20Oil%20101.htm

Leave a comment:

• ///Mflossin
    replied
    it's now got a gold cap.

Leave a comment:

• /christopher
    replied
    My local Canadian Tire doesn't have the red topped 15-50 anymore. It's been replaced with a nice new container but the weights have changed to---I think--- 5-50. Same reference number. I haven't asked if I can still order 15-50, I just assumed it was a Mobil 1 evolution of weights because all the old ones are being replaced, at least on my local shelves.

I'll take a closer look.

Leave a comment:

• ///Mflossin
    replied
    15/50 Mobil1 fully syn has become so expensive locally (Wal Mart doesn't carry it anymore) that I have decided to run Redline 10/40

Leave a comment:

• AlpineRunner
    replied
    What changes are you seeing? Why would you think a different weight would be better? The only thing I have heard about Mobil 1 is they are using more detergents to make their claim of 15k miles or whatever and that the detergents may lead to poorer oil quality. Is this what you are referring to?

EDIT: my source http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...threadid=17230
    Last edited by AlpineRunner; 07-03-2006, 04:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• /christopher
    started a topic Mobil oil changes

Mobil oil changes

I'm still working through my containers of 15W-50 Mobil 1, but the last couple of times I've been to my supply store I've noticed that the Mobil 1 oils are changing.

Is there a consensus on where to go from here? Keep using Mobil but with different weights or change to something else?

I'm no oil expert and I defer my decision to the more experienced...
Working...
X