No announcement yet.

synthetic vs non, let the argument begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently made the switch from regular oil to syth and one of the major things i noticed was a 30 degree differnece in runing temp. My engine used to be at 220 all day now it's at around 180-190.

When i switched i used Mobil-1 15w/50 (the first form before they changed the formula) for like 500 miles and then flushed it and changed it again. I have have poking my head around looking for leaks and have not found anything yet and no oil is being burned either.

Comment

Originally posted by MTree View Post
      I recently made the switch from regular oil to syth and one of the major things i noticed was a 30 degree differnece in runing temp. My engine used to be at 220 all day now it's at around 180-190.

When i switched i used Mobil-1 15w/50 (the first form before they changed the formula) for like 500 miles and then flushed it and changed it again. I have have poking my head around looking for leaks and have not found anything yet and no oil is being burned either.
      Hrm - very interesting.

I have not ever ran my car on dino oil, so I have not seen that temperature drop take place. However, I have always wondered why my oil temp needle sits to the left, even when the car is fully warm.

Is that 30-degree difference in oil temp going to be an issue long-term in any way? Perhaps the motor is "optimized" for 220 degrees F?

I also run Mobil-1 15w50 - I do have some slight leakage at the oil filter housing, and many have said on various threads here that the thinner viscosity + superior lubrication properties of synthetic will allow it to seep past some of the gaskets. I have seen this said on a number of forums about older cars, also.
      -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

Originally posted by Low Level View Post
        Hrm - very interesting.

I have not ever ran my car on dino oil, so I have not seen that temperature drop take place. However, I have always wondered why my oil temp needle sits to the left, even when the car is fully warm.

Is that 30-degree difference in oil temp going to be an issue long-term in any way? Perhaps the motor is "optimized" for 220 degrees F?

I also run Mobil-1 15w50 - I do have some slight leakage at the oil filter housing, and many have said on various threads here that the thinner viscosity + superior lubrication properties of synthetic will allow it to seep past some of the gaskets. I have seen this said on a number of forums about older cars, also.
        dino oil haha, classic. I'm going to steal that one from you

Comment

Working...
        X