tranny and differential oil...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am changing all of my fluids in the coming weeks and I plan to run:

Castrol TAF-X 75W-90 in the Tranny (purchased from the Lotus Dealer)
    Castrol SAF-XJ+FM 75w-140 in the Diff (expensive at the Stealer)

This worked great in my S14 powered 2002 and that car shifted much better than my e30 M3. It held up to numerous hard driving track outings and when drained always looked clean.
    1989 e30 m3 Zinnoberrot/Grey 256k Track/M3T
    1991 e30 m3 Alpinweiß/Schwartz 81k Garage Queen
    1991 325iX Diamantschwarz/M-Tech 110k Snowmobile (For Sale)
    1991 325ic Macau Blau/M-Tech 178k M-Tech Cabrio 5spd (For Sale)
    2002 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 Vortec, Alison Tranny, 4.10 gears

Comment

After reading these reviews I tried out some of the Redline Shockproof lightweight. It made the world of difference to my worn old sychros.

However i've just had to change the clutch as both the input and output shaft seals leaked and the oil got all over the clutch plate. Now is this down to the seal (which I've now changed) or the use of the Shockproof oil? The garage have now replace the Redline with their standard stuff and the shifts are back to being a bit awkward.

I don't want to put more Redline in, fix my shifts and ruin a new clutch. Anyone else had this??
      If everything seems under control, then you're just not going fast enough...

Comment

What do you guys think of Royal Purple Synchromesh Oil for the tranny?

I recently used it on my Jeep and it really quiet all my tranny sounds.
        '88 Sep 03,87 Zinno/Natur 2.5L--the queen
        '90 White/Natur 2.3L---the weekend
        '14 GT-R Red/Black ohhh..yeah!!!
        '09 E82 135i Crimson Red/ Black w/M-Tech goodies--sold
        '94 11/93 AW III 525i M50/S50 cams/5 speed swap--sold
        '11 Nissan Rogue White/Gray
        '89 Wrangler 4.2L 4x4 5 speed
        '66 VW Beetle

Comment

Originally posted by bmws14m3 View Post
          What do you guys think of Royal Purple Synchromesh Oil for the tranny?

I recently used it on my Jeep and it really quiet all my tranny sounds.
          I used some in my CR box and it has been fine, but not as smooth as my OE trans was with Redline MTL in it. I will change this out at some point and will then have an opinion on both fluids in the same transmissionm but for now I would say I would stick with Redline if I had it to over again..
          Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-04-2010, 05:21 PM.
          Mark Williams
          Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Deagle View Post
            Im also a firm believer in Redline lightweight shockproof. Works excellent, shifts smoother, and quieter.
            Just changed the trans fluid in my car yesterday after reading this post. Massive improvement in off the line engagement of first and alot smoother on the 3-2 heel toe downshifts. Immediate improvement in shift action.

Strange but the Redline LWSP was cheaper at S&K Speed than any of the other MTLs in the AUTOPEPBARNZONE parts places.

I'm sold, nuff said.
            Last edited by OnrailsM3; 05-31-2010, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Has anyone run SWEPCO in either their transmissions or diffs? I have run Redline in my track car and every time I've run it in the diff, I've broken an axle, and every time I've had it in my transmission I've broken a 5th gear. That works out to 3 axles, and 3 5th gears. That said, the 5th gears for my transmission are a press fit, 2 of those have spun then the 3rd was actually the 1st one that spun but was welded. I did up grade to the VERY hard to find splined 5th and started using SWEPCO. I'm pretty gentle on transmissions, I double clutch/heel & toe on every downshift, and don't rush up shifts unless I'm on track. All the 5th gear failures have been on the freeway, never on track. Granted this stuff is all 40+ years old, but still. The axle failures shouldn't be related to the oil used, however I went years without a failed axle (7 if you really want to count) running the Swepco. I was out so I got some Redline Shockproof heavy duty (the same stuff I was running the last time I broke an axle) and guess what; I've broken 2 of them this year. Both times running the shockproof oil. There shouldn't be any correlation between the oil used and the failure at the spline in the diff, but its the only thing that has been a constant for all the failures. It really makes me wonder.

Since we are on the topic, is an M3 box like a Porsche style steel servo-syncro design, or does it use a Warner style brass syncro, or is it something else completely? I'm just curious.

Will
              '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
              '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
              '88 M3

Comment

I'm still contemplating doing these fluids... Not whether redline or not, but which one? For an s14 with 200k+ should I he worried about the main seals leaking etc after swapping with this fluid? This car gets driven alot... Not track hard, but more street/long trip driven... Anybody have any issues or suggestions? Really appreciate it. -Alex

Comment

For high mileage, moderate to hard driving or high temperature climates I suggest the Redline Heavyweight Shockproof in the differential for sure. For the transmission it varies, if you have issues with shifting they all work but the heavyweight is for more severe problems.

If you're in colder climate go lighter weight, this is how it was explained to me by a rep.
                  Rich!

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealM3 View Post
                    What oil do you guys recommend for my tranny and diff. Ive heard redline is the way to go, but its not something I can go buy at a store, i gotta order it. Is Redline really any better than Mobile 1?Thanks in advance for the input.

ROb

Redline MTL for the trans is a well-settled, proven good gearbox fluid.

I've been using Motul Fluids for gearbox and transmission for a couple years now, no issues whatsoever.
                    sigpic
                    2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
                    2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
                    2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
                    2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
                    2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

Comment

In my garage queen I run:

Castrol TAF-X 75W-90 in the Tranny (purchased from the Lotus Dealer)
                      Castrol SAF-XJ+FM 75w-140 in the Diff (expensive at the Stealer)

In my track car and daily driver
                      Redline MT-90 in the tranny
                      Redline 75-90 in the differential

I hear good things about the Motul but I am not sure which gearbox oil is GL-4.
                      1989 e30 m3 Zinnoberrot/Grey 256k Track/M3T
                      1991 e30 m3 Alpinweiß/Schwartz 81k Garage Queen
                      1991 325iX Diamantschwarz/M-Tech 110k Snowmobile (For Sale)
                      1991 325ic Macau Blau/M-Tech 178k M-Tech Cabrio 5spd (For Sale)
                      2002 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 Vortec, Alison Tranny, 4.10 gears

Comment

+1 Motul fluids
                        sigpic
                        Photo by David Haueter
                        www.velozmedia.com
                        www.facebook.com/velozmediafb
                        www.vimeo.com/channels/velozmedia
                        1988 E30 M3 Art Car Race car M3T
                        1998 Carbon Widebody E36/S54 M3 Race car CM
                        1998 MZ3 Roadster IP
                        2006 BMW E46 3 Series Sedan

Comment

I changed the seals in my tranny and put redline MTL in. Not even 100 miles later, it has been very slowly dripping from the bell housing/tranny connection, then after the first hot day and hard drive I have a big puddle of tranny fluid the next morning. Before changing the front seal again, I'd like to try a thicker oil which might solve my leak.

Does anyone have a similar experience with MTL after fresh seals and have a solution? I'm thinking Motul 80w-90 or Pennzoil synthetic 75w90 GL-4

Comment

Also, is there cause for concern of tranny fluid harming the clutch if under hard braking some could slip its way up the bell housing? I don't think this has happened, just curious based on an odd response from a mechanic about it.

Comment

My tranny is leaking a bit and once its all fixed up I plan on putting redline lightweight shockproof as recommended by a few members here, but in the mean time I wanna make sure it doesn't run dry (its a really slow leak)... I just got in from my local dealer and he told me to use, atf dexron VI (p/n83222163514). Im just confused here as it clearly says automatic transmission fluid on the bottle?? Did he give me the wrong stuff or do I need to educate my self a little more on the subject?

Comment

Working...
                              X