X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was a great thread, thanks to all for the info

Comment

A friend of mine is an AMSOIL distributer and he had the following info to share:

AMSOIL Product Name
      Phosphorus Level (ppm)
      Zinc Level (ppm)

AMO 10W-40 Synthetic Premium Protection

ARO 20W-50 Synthetic Premium Protection

HDD Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Diesel Oil

TRO 20W-50 Synthetic Racing Oil

AHR SAE 60 Synthetic Racing Oil

So it appears that AMSOIL meets the 1200ppm zinc standard.

Comment

What about Elf?
        cars suck!!

Comment

Sometimes you have to go off the beaten path to find alternatives... like NEO Synthetics/BAKER, or Penn Grade "The Green Oil", Elf, Motul etc... ask builders and race teams what works best for them. Just my .02
          Rich!

Comment

Notice the amount of zinc in the analysis of AndrewK's Mobil 1 oil in this post:
            http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30374
            At 1313, it exceeds Mobil's published spec for Mobil 1 15w-50 (1000-1200)
            Ron
            Last edited by rongineer; 02-11-2008, 07:12 AM.

Comment

When I get home tonight I'll check the details on that oil. I believe that may have been from a batch I bought in the fall of 2006. I'll see if I can find a receipt. I'm also not sure if it was the red cap or gold cap 15w-50. From what I understand the change in zinc content in Mobil 1 is a relatively recent development. That might have been oil from before the formulation change.

In any case I got spooked out enough that I'm now running RedLine. I'm waiting to see how things sort out and may switch back to Mobil 1 when I feel it's safe to do so. Meaning, when Mobil stops changing the formulation, bottle, label, cap, etc every 3 months.

Comment

It wouldn't make a difference, as the presently published content of Mobil 1 clarifies that it is suitable for our application.
                2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
                1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
                1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
                  When I get home tonight I'll check the details on that oil. I believe that may have been from a batch I bought in the fall of 2006. I'll see if I can find a receipt. I'm also not sure if it was the red cap or gold cap 15w-50. From what I understand the change in zinc content in Mobil 1 is a relatively recent development. That might have been oil from before the formulation change.

In any case I got spooked out enough that I'm now running RedLine. I'm waiting to see how things sort out and may switch back to Mobil 1 when I feel it's safe to do so. Meaning, when Mobil stops changing the formulation, bottle, label, cap, etc every 3 months.
                  If you switched from Mobile to Redline (or from any oil to Redline for that matter) and are doing oil analysis, you may see higher numbers all around on your first Redline sample. I'd be interested to see if you do. Redline seems to have a "cleansing" effect when first changed. The numbers should settle down in your next sample.

I've been very happy with Redline 10w-40 going on nearly 4 years now.
                  Last edited by M3Solo2; 02-19-2008, 06:04 PM.
                  "E30 M3 . . . it's the perfect toy for an upscale closet wild man." Car and Driver, 1988 M3 Road Test

Comment

So... four years on. Are Red Lline and Royal Purple still preferred over M1 and Castrol?
                    John 3:17

Comment

So, I am a few days away from using Mobile 1, 15W-50. Dramatic, I know, but once I start with this it will probably be the oil of choice for the long term.

As of 10/17/2011, Mobil's Product Guide* states that their 15W-50 has:

Nominal Phosphorus Level, PPM of 1200

Nominal Zinc Level, PPM, PPM of 1300

The viscosity, full synthetic quality of the oil, ZDDP level, Mobil's reputation, price, and availability seem to be a winning combination.

Any advice / direction is appreciated.

* http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...duct_Guide.pdf

Comment

Buy it by the jug and not per quart, way cheaper!

Comment

Originally posted by MTree View Post
                          Buy it by the jug and not per quart, way cheaper!
                          Yessir, Wally has the 5 quart jug for $24.97

Comment

Working...
                          X