X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• markseven
    replied
    Originally posted by MTree View Post
    Buy it by the jug and not per quart, way cheaper!
    Yessir, Wally has the 5 quart jug for $24.97

Leave a comment:

• MTree
    replied
    Buy it by the jug and not per quart, way cheaper!

Leave a comment:

• markseven
    replied
    So, I am a few days away from using Mobile 1, 15W-50. Dramatic, I know, but once I start with this it will probably be the oil of choice for the long term.

As of 10/17/2011, Mobil's Product Guide* states that their 15W-50 has:

Nominal Phosphorus Level, PPM of 1200

Nominal Zinc Level, PPM, PPM of 1300

The viscosity, full synthetic quality of the oil, ZDDP level, Mobil's reputation, price, and availability seem to be a winning combination.

Any advice / direction is appreciated.

* http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...duct_Guide.pdf

Leave a comment:

• markseven
    replied
    So... four years on. Are Red Lline and Royal Purple still preferred over M1 and Castrol?

Leave a comment:

• M3Solo2
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
    When I get home tonight I'll check the details on that oil. I believe that may have been from a batch I bought in the fall of 2006. I'll see if I can find a receipt. I'm also not sure if it was the red cap or gold cap 15w-50. From what I understand the change in zinc content in Mobil 1 is a relatively recent development. That might have been oil from before the formulation change.

In any case I got spooked out enough that I'm now running RedLine. I'm waiting to see how things sort out and may switch back to Mobil 1 when I feel it's safe to do so. Meaning, when Mobil stops changing the formulation, bottle, label, cap, etc every 3 months.
    If you switched from Mobile to Redline (or from any oil to Redline for that matter) and are doing oil analysis, you may see higher numbers all around on your first Redline sample. I'd be interested to see if you do. Redline seems to have a "cleansing" effect when first changed. The numbers should settle down in your next sample.

I've been very happy with Redline 10w-40 going on nearly 4 years now.
    Last edited by M3Solo2; 02-19-2008, 06:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ted B
    replied
    It wouldn't make a difference, as the presently published content of Mobil 1 clarifies that it is suitable for our application.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewK
    replied
    When I get home tonight I'll check the details on that oil. I believe that may have been from a batch I bought in the fall of 2006. I'll see if I can find a receipt. I'm also not sure if it was the red cap or gold cap 15w-50. From what I understand the change in zinc content in Mobil 1 is a relatively recent development. That might have been oil from before the formulation change.

In any case I got spooked out enough that I'm now running RedLine. I'm waiting to see how things sort out and may switch back to Mobil 1 when I feel it's safe to do so. Meaning, when Mobil stops changing the formulation, bottle, label, cap, etc every 3 months.

Leave a comment:

• rongineer
    replied
    Notice the amount of zinc in the analysis of AndrewK's Mobil 1 oil in this post:
    http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30374
    At 1313, it exceeds Mobil's published spec for Mobil 1 15w-50 (1000-1200)
    Ron
    Last edited by rongineer; 02-11-2008, 07:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ///schwartzman
    replied
    Sometimes you have to go off the beaten path to find alternatives... like NEO Synthetics/BAKER, or Penn Grade "The Green Oil", Elf, Motul etc... ask builders and race teams what works best for them. Just my .02

Leave a comment:

• ///MDeuce
    replied
    What about Elf?

Leave a comment:

• roberte
    replied
    A friend of mine is an AMSOIL distributer and he had the following info to share:

AMSOIL Product Name
    Phosphorus Level (ppm)
    Zinc Level (ppm)

AMO 10W-40 Synthetic Premium Protection

ARO 20W-50 Synthetic Premium Protection

HDD Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Diesel Oil

TRO 20W-50 Synthetic Racing Oil

AHR SAE 60 Synthetic Racing Oil

So it appears that AMSOIL meets the 1200ppm zinc standard.

Leave a comment:

• Mick
    replied
    This was a great thread, thanks to all for the info

Leave a comment:

• Ted B
    replied
    Originally posted by ShiftBMW View Post
    Well it seems that after a reinvestigation that Mobil 1 Synthetic 15w-50, both new and old blends are ok for use as far as ZDDP are concerned.

So do we consider this myth busted?

That appears to be the case.

It wasn't entirely untrue, it just didn't apply to all grades, nor was it restricted to a single brand. Nevertheless, it sparked an interest, and we all know more about it now. I'm glad this topic was brought up, as it eventually yielded a good deal of very useful information.

Leave a comment:

• Drevaen
    replied
    Originally posted by rvuorenr View Post
    I've been running Motul 300v 15W-50 but can't tell any results, because haven't tried with anything else. My choise was purely based on the correct viscosity and the fact that this is about the only fully esther based oil with a reasonable price (on par with TSW).

Drevaen, what did you mean with 'non longlife' ? I change mine with about 5000 km intervals.

This oil is a motorsport oil intended for racing, so it was not tested for long life like the current oils in Europe(15000km between oil change)
    But, I know a lot of people using it in E46 M3 since their car was new, without any problems. The main difference in this oil is the detergent additives, it has a lot of it, mainly because of fuel content in oil, commonly found in race engines(richer air/fuel mixture)

With oil change every 5000Km, it is as safe as any other oil, and as you said, the 300V is ester based oil. Ester is an unbreakable molecule.

Leave a comment:

• rvuorenr
    replied
    I've been running Motul 300v 15W-50 but can't tell any results, because haven't tried with anything else. My choise was purely based on the correct viscosity and the fact that this is about the only fully esther based oil with a reasonable price (on par with TSW).

Drevaen, what did you mean with 'non longlife' ? I change mine with about 5000 km intervals.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X