Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Non-Synthetic for these cars?(To offset the synthetic thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Non-Synthetic for these cars?(To offset the synthetic thread)

I've been running Valvoline 20-50 for a couple years with no (knock wood) problems.

I change the oil so much that synthetic is not really cost effective for me to go synthetic. I change it every month or so over the summer and first thing in the spring so that's 4-5 oil changes for 5K miles...

I change oil before each track event, that's why.

What type of regular oil are you guys that use regular oil using?

My PO had Frank Fahey change the oil and he swears by Kendall GT1 20W50...which is still in the car now...I wasn't sure if I was going to stick with it though.

Comment

Damn oil threads. I've spent countless hours reading them at bobistheoilguy.com over the years and there is no definitive answer. From what I've gathered, Castrol GTX is a premium dino oil with lots of Moly, Chevron Supreme is actually a decent oil (and often on sale for .99 a quart), basically all of the HM oils like Maxlife which may be part synthetic. I think BMW used Castrol GTX and Valvoline at the dealer back in the day before they had their own oil. All seem to agree that these oils are good for upto 5K miles. They would also ask why you're running such a thick oil? Hard to say what's "good" for the S14 without doing used oil analysis to be sure.

Personally, since cost is the only reason not to use synthetic. I try to catch them when on sale. You can run longer OCI's with a good synthetic which will actually save you money in the long run and the environment by not changing the oil as often.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
      85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
      91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Barry - not sure if you were asking why such a thick oil, but 20/50 is what the manual says.

Comment

The scary thing is guys,,, all the stuff you have known to be true or good about oils is no longer in play.
          All the rules have changed, with the reduction in ZDDP.

Yes castrol used to be the chosen oil, yes non synth HDEO (Diesel) oils used to be good, the "NAME" Kendall GT1 that Frank Fahey used to rely on was sold to Conoco.

Just the NAME Kendall 1 GT was sold to Conoco.
          The formulation which was the semi famous oil with drag racers "green oil" that made the name is not in the bottle anymore.
          That green oil is from the Bradford Penn refinery in PA, which used to pump KENDALL, and is now sold under the Brad Penn racing oil mentioned in the LN Engineering link.

You really have to watch what you are putting in because everything you ever knew or trusted about over the counter retail street motor oils in the US has changed in the last year.
          Whats in the bottle now,,, is not what was in the bottle a year ago that you may have trusted for over 20 years. If its an over the counter street oil, its got less ZDDP in it than it always did and you should be wary of it.

HTH
          jimmy
          jimmy p.
          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
          92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
          98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
          04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
            The scary thing is guys,,, all the stuff you have known to be true or good about oils is no longer in play.

HTH
            jimmy

That's a bummer. One of the last things you could do without special mail order was run down to the Pep Boys and get oil for the car. I have used Castrol GTX for years on all my cars for years with really good results and many miles and now that trust is out the window because of a new formulation.:shit:
            There'll be Spandex jackets one for everyone ...

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

Yes castrol used to be the chosen oil, yes non synth HDEO (Diesel) oils used to be good, the "NAME" Kendall GT1 that Frank Fahey used to rely on was sold to Conoco.

Just the NAME Kendall 1 GT was sold to Conoco.
              The formulation which was the semi famous oil with drag racers "green oil" that made the name is not in the bottle anymore.
              That green oil is from the Bradford Penn refinery in PA, which used to pump KENDALL, and is now sold under the Brad Penn racing oil mentioned in the LN Engineering link.

You really have to watch what you are putting in because everything you ever knew or trusted about over the counter retail street motor oils in the US has changed in the last year.
              Whats in the bottle now,,, is not what was in the bottle a year ago that you may have trusted for over 20 years. If its an over the counter street oil, its got less ZDDP in it than it always did and you should be wary of it.

HTH
              jimmy
              So basically I'm fuked? Should I just abandon this thread and read the synthetic thread? I like dino oil cause it tastes better but I guess I can switch.

Comment

Originally posted by OnrailsM3 View Post
                So basically I'm fuked? Should I just abandon this thread and read the synthetic thread? I like dino oil cause it tastes better but I guess I can switch.
                Initially I wanted to reply by saying that there is no good reason not to use synthetic but then I decided not to since your thread was asking something very specific. But now seems like I can chip in. Even the cost differential isn't a good reason.

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Originally posted by OnrailsM3 View Post
                  Hey Matt,
                  No there are some good non synth oils.
                  Brad Penn Racing is a blend but primarily dino, Swepco is a blend I believe and Lubrication Engineers is all dino.

I think that Valvoline Racing Not Street Legal is also dino.

HTH
                  jimmy p
                  jimmy p.
                  04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

I have been using Valvoline vr-1, but with the reduction in ZDDP I was planning to use Valvoline Racing Not Street Legal. Does a switch to synthetic solve the problem with reduced ZDDP or are they plagued by the same problem?

Jason

Comment

I use Redline full sythetic 10/40. I used to use Amsoil full synthetic 10/40. I do not feel any difference. It's just that I have a friend who works at Redline and he throws the stuff at me. At the dealer, the older cars get what comes from the tap, regular 10/40. The old bottled BMW oil is non synthetic high performance 10/40, in which they still stock in parts if anyone requests it. I use synthetic primarily for the longer interval for oil changes. I don't race or anything, just commute back and forth to work. Maybe in the summer.
                      Last edited by bmrtech; 02-04-2008, 02:43 PM.
                      BMW Maintenance. Repair. Performance.
                      Factory Trained, Performance Driven

[email protected]
                      cell: 707.373.4000

Comment

Originally posted by jrm3 View Post
                        I have been using Valvoline vr-1, but with the reduction in ZDDP I was planning to use Valvoline Racing Not Street Legal. Does a switch to synthetic solve the problem with reduced ZDDP or are they plagued by the same problem?

Jason
                        Jason,
                        Not to my knowledge. Someone else may know more.
                        To attain the newest oil rating (SL I believe), all oils dino or synth had to drop ZDDP levels below 800ppm.
                        The Valvoline Not Street Legal version seems to get the nod as good stuff (ZDDP over 1200 ppm).
                        jimmy p.
                        04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

The newest rating is "SM". Those oils that carry the "SM" rating are not recommended for us due to reduced ZDDP (800ppm as opposed to ~1200ppm for unaffected grades). According to the product info on their website ALL Valvoline regular synthetic products are affected and carry the "SM" rating. The Valvoline Racing Synthetic is not affected however, and contains 1200ppm ZDDP (the same as Mobil 1 15w-50). The 20w-50 would likely be the best bet where Valvoline Racing Synthetic is concerned.

I also agree that synthetics are superior lubricants, and there is no good reason not to use them. Heck, just switching to the synthetic equivalent in my old Harley dropped the avg running oil temp by 20 deg F, and this isn't unusual.
                          Last edited by Ted B; 02-05-2008, 05:14 AM.
                          2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
                          1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
                          1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

I just finished looking up the oils on NAPA.

napa part number for Valvoline Racing Not Street Legal (regular) is "VAL 851"
                            napa part number for Valvoline Racing Not Street Legal (synthetic) is "VAL 855"

J

Comment

Stupid question...but why is it "not street legal?"

Is this just marketing?

Comment

Working...
                              X