Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil temperature on track....a question or 2 please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil temperature on track....a question or 2 please....

Hi guys,
    I was at a track day on Saturday, and the weather was only mild, not exactly hot. My car is a Sport Evo with MoTec , 284/272 cams (see post below). There was some debate at the circuit about what is the highest acceptable oil temp our cars should run at. Mine hit a steady 115 degrees after several laps on the circuit. It runs at about 90 in daily driving. Is 115 too high? One guy with lots of knowledge recommended I fit a bigger oil cooler from an E28. Do you think this would be a good idea?
    Another bloke with a Sport Evo hit 135 degrees. He new that was too hot, and stopped lapping the circuit.
    Thanks for the input,
    John W (UK)
    John W
    1990 E30 M3 Sport Evo
    1990 E30 M3
    http://www.bayareamotorsport.com/john_uk/

I posted at roadfly as well but i trust here more...

That sounds really low to me. I go by the oil temp gauge in the bottom of the tach. My car runs all the time when warm just under 210F If I push it hard it will go above by a little. Is My car running way to hot?

Comment

It is fine. IMO (not that it's worth much )

Your oil will run hotter when driven hard ,also during 100 days and 85 days in stopped traffic (for long periods of time). Just be aware (like you are) of it and don't run it too hot for long periods of time(make it brief). Shutting the car down and giving it a rest is a good idea.

Some track goers change their oil after every event, and I was told that some even double change their oil (Stan) to make sure they get out all the sludge.

Will the electrical fan upgrade spin air through at a faster rate then stock?

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Originally posted by Jess e30 ///M3
        ...That sounds really low to me. I go by the oil temp gauge in the bottom of the tach. My car runs all the time when warm just under 210F If I push it hard it will go above by a little. Is My car running way to hot?
        I'm sure John is quoting temperatures in degrees celcius.

210F is fine.
        -Han

Comment

Yes, I'm sure the reading in my car is celcius.
          Does anyone think that fitting a bigger oil cooler from an E28 would be a good idea?
          John W
          1990 E30 M3 Sport Evo
          1990 E30 M3

Comment

I think the manual states a max of 130 deg when being driven hard.
            What oil are you running John?
            "It's not the mountain we conquer but ourselves"

Comment

Martin, Bexleys put in Mobil 10/40 semi-synthetic.
              Can you try and confirm the figure of 130 degrees please? If that's true, then I nned not bother with the bigger oil cooler. Cheers, mate.
              John W
              1990 E30 M3 Sport Evo
              1990 E30 M3

Comment

hey john...i know this wont help much but try putting like castrol or mobile 15W40...i work at a quik lube/mechanic shop and thats what i will be putting in my ///M.
                ///M Power
                "Dream as if you live forever,Live as if you'll die today"-James Dean

Instagram- S14Pwr

Comment

Working...
                X