Roundel Tech Talk: E30 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roundel Tech Talk: E30 M3

The latest Roundel has a Q&A in the Tech Talk section about E30 M3s. FWIW, here's what Mike Miller had to say about a couple topics I've seen discussed in this forum.

The $15,000 Rule. The consensus is that it's now more than $15,000. Miller says make that $20,000.

How many? Miller estimates 1000 working street examples of the E30 M3 left in the US, of which he thinks half "need to be completely restored," 25% are "drivers" and 25% are well-sorted, well-maintained examples. Those numbers sound all around low to me. Only 250 well-sorted, well-maintained examples left? I bet the members here could list more.

I agree with you slowguy,

those numbers sound low. I was at a SIGFEST one year with something like 68 really well cared for M3's. And that was only in one spot! That didn't count the midwest, west coast and everthing in between.

There's definitely more than 1000 working street examples, and def. more than 250 well sorted cars driving around. At least I hope there are!

Comment

I think his all his numbers should be doubled...

2000 total. 500 prestine ones

the $20000 rule makes sense

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

value up....yay

Comment

I think a lot of long time CCA members are disconnected from the new BMW world online and so they don't meet many E30 M3 owners outside of the CCA. I could totally see how a CCA member would believe those numbers were true but there are those owners who have clean examples sitting in their garage who don't bother coming online or joining the CCA. I know I've randomly met a couple of those.

Oh as for the 20K rule...I still think 15K is about right because there are those who were able to restore the car for under 15K and some over 15K. Considering what you could pick up a neglected but decent M3 for, 15K is still a good median for now at least.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
          85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
          91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

I'd like to believe that my car is one of 250...but I doubt it
            "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Originally posted by ADA///M
              value up....yay
              Yup.

Save a copy of it in case you ever need to prove value to insurance companies.

Comment

My car would not even qualify as a T*rd by BMWCCA s most generous standards.
                It most definitely is in need of a body restoration.
                It looks so bad that most guys on s14 would say "that F*ckwit doesn't know what he's got"

But Knock on wood, I have to say that it is in good mechanical fettle and would likely give a "bubble Condition" car a good thumping, as those cars tend to be ignored mechanically.
                m

Any of you guys use Porker 944s? I think If I was not trying to refresh my car it would be cheaper to maintain than a 944.
                Last edited by Mmark; 08-05-2005, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Low for sure. I can think of 5-6 in Seattle and that is one City.

Tyler
                  http://www.europeanplates.com S14.net 10% Code: s14

http://www.europeanplates.net Build and Preview plates

Comment

my favorite line was about all the virgins (for those who restore) and how they would be traded away for EVO3 parts. :cool:

Comment

Re: Roundel Tech Talk: E30 M3

How many E30 M3's were officially imported into the US from 1988 to 1991?
                      There must also be about 500 dedicated track cars in the US as well.

Originally posted by slowguy
                      The latest Roundel has a Q&A in the Tech Talk section about E30 M3s. FWIW, here's what Mike Miller had to say about a couple topics I've seen discussed in this forum.

The $15,000 Rule. The consensus is that it's now more than $15,000. Miller says make that $20,000.

How many? Miller estimates 1000 working street examples of the E30 M3 left in the US, of which he thinks half "need to be completely restored," 25% are "drivers" and 25% are well-sorted, well-maintained examples. Those numbers sound all around low to me. Only 250 well-sorted, well-maintained examples left? I bet the members here could list more.
                      Mel Abrahams
                      Abrahams Motorsport
                      www.abrahamsmotorsport.com
                      Direct contact:[email protected]

Comment

Randomly...

Originally posted by Reelizmpro
                        there are those owners who have clean examples sitting in their garage who don't bother coming online or joining the CCA. I know I've randomly met a couple of those.
                        Barry, how would you rank mine?
                        Last edited by ///Mous3; 08-06-2005, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Re: Re: Roundel Tech Talk: E30 M3

Originally posted by Mel A
                          How many E30 M3's were officially imported into the US from 1988 to 1991?
                          "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Re: Randomly...

Originally posted by ///Mous3
                            Barry, how would you rank mine?
                            Among the cleanest "stock" M3's I've seen.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                            85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                            91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Saving this...

Originally posted by Reelizmpro
                              Among the cleanest "stock" M3's I've seen.
                              I am saving your quote!

Perhaps, make a die-cut decal and posted on the winshield like those moviews posters in LA Times.

"Among the cleanest "stock" M3's I've seen." - Barry Robinson, S14.net

Comment

Working...
                              X