Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying Tips? Anyone have a list of questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Tips? Anyone have a list of questions?

OK has anyone created a list of typical questions I should be asking as I continue my search for a e30 M3? Any problem areas the "should" be addressed? Common problems? etc.

I'm guessing the first response will be SEARCH. I have and information is all over the place but nothing is consolidated.

Thanks in advance,
    Puma
    Last edited by puma1824; 09-10-2005, 02:25 PM.
    (Oo=[][]=oO)

Looking for:
    BMW e30 M3
    BMW e28 M5
    Mercedes-Benz 190e 2.3-16 / 2.5-16

I have a checklist in HTML form and a Word document. I found them on the net. It says it was from unofficialbmw.com but doesn't list an author. Email me for the files (don't PM as I can send you the attachments.

Comment

Okay, here are a few I would ask or look for:

Mileage?
      Title?
      Accidents? check the panels for rust, particularly around the windshield area (may be underneath seal) and alignment, check the front strut towers and the areas behind them and under the fusebox for cracking or buckling.

Has the car been tracked? if so, how often?
      Maintenance records? if so, who serviced the car?

Repaint or color change?
      Does it have an aftermarket oil pan baffle?
      Check for worn control arms and bushings, driveshaft and center support bearing, engine and tranny mounts, rear shock mounts, subframe cracks and rear subframe bushings.

Check for oil leakage from the pan gaskets, rear seal and switches, etc.

Of course some of these questions will be too involved for the "average" owner so you may have to draw your own conclusions based on their maintenance records and the owners character. Is the owner informed about the car or does he just like the way it looks....etc. etc.

BTW: there are a few E30 M3 buyers guy published in magazines. Recently, I think it was "MPH?" magazine ...i forget. Just check out your local Barnes and Nobles for more general info.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
      85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
      91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Well first of all, it mainly depends on what you want to spend on the car and how much you are buying it for...for less money more problems are acceptable.

The 15k rule is close. Personally I don't mind maintainance issues because I plan on keeping my car forever and spending lots of money to keep it in tip top shape...so some of the chronic problems like worn alternator bushings, buzzy shifter, rear interior panels coming off, airbox mount coming off, leaking intake manifold gaskets, intermittant instrument cluster gauges, etc...would not deter me from a purchase.

I would stay away from cars that have more serious problems like rust, whether it be on the metal below the windshield, below the rear window, by the license plate lights, on the firewall. I would also stay away from any car that has or may have frame damage (or maybe any body work).

It really depends on what you want to put into it though....with the M3 I don't mind putting money into it so more things are acceptable...maybe even a blown motor because I wouldn't mind rebuilding it to a 2.5. However if you are looking for a pristine weekend car and low-maintainance DD, you want to spend more money and be more careful. for instance I just bought a 95 525 and a DD and I don't want to put money in it so I bought a nice 1 owner low-mileage one that I won't have to do the timing chain or clutch on or anything else for a while.
        Hope that helps.
        "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Re: Buying Tips? Anyone have a list of questions?

Originally posted by puma1824
          OK has anyone created a list of typical questions I should be asking as I continue my search for a e30 M3? Any problem areas the "should" be addressed? Common problems? etc.

I'm guessing the first response will be SEARCH. I have and information is all over the place but nothing is consolidated.

Thanks in advance,
          Puma
          Someone has created this list...

E30 M3 Questions - click FAQ
          1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
          1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
          1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

obviously you haven't SEARCHED hard enough then.

Comment

Originally posted by ///Mflossin
              Sorry :(
              (Oo=[][]=oO)

Looking for:
              BMW e30 M3
              BMW e28 M5

Comment

Originally posted by ///Mflossin

Whatever!
                Mark Williams
                Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Re: Re: Buying Tips? Anyone have a list of questions?

Originally posted by L James
                  Someone has created this list...

E30 M3 Questions - click FAQ
                  AWESOME!

Thanks,
                  Puma
                  (Oo=[][]=oO)

Looking for:
                  BMW e30 M3
                  BMW e28 M5

Comment