Avg Maintainence in dollars per year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avg Maintainence in dollars per year

I've been thinking about purchasing an e30 m3 for about four years and I've taken many things into consideration when thinking about purchasing one. Something that I've always read and consiquently feared is the fact that the car is 16-19 years old and maintainence is going to be an unavoidable issue.

I was wondering if you guys could just give me some estimates or softnumbers on how much you spend a year on maintainence (preventative and required). If purchased, the car would be in California so winterization isn't a factor.

The reason I ask is because I'm currently a college student and my annual income is not alot and I don't to be drained dry by the car. Thanks for the imput.

most of the time if your asking these questions, its not the car for you. i on the other hand ignored this advice and paid the price. they are expensive, and old. bottom line. you cant half ass them, or they will bite you in the ass (ask me how i know). if you have another car to drive regularly they are a fun hobby. if they are a daily driver and your pretty broke they are a time bomb waiting to explode!

search "15k rule".

1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

I suggest to invest your money in school, then when time comes, get yourself a nice m3.
      :burn:RED DRAGON

Comment

15k rule is key, when it comes down to it you really get what you pay for.

I bought my car for 9k and now one year down the road i have dropped almost 4k into it, i have completely replaced the suspension, put in a new clutch, etc.

Spending money on this car is more mental than anything, I swear once i did one thing i saw something else and had to replace it, and it all snowballed from there.

You also save loads of money if you do repairs yourself, the car is fairly easy to work on and pretty straight forward.

I am also a college student but i have a work truck that i can drive when the m is down for repairs.

Anyways my point is its definately worth it if you have the money to buy a nice well maintained one.

Hope this helps.

Comment

If you are still in college and your parents aren't sugaring you...I'd wait until you get out of school and have a job. Where I went to college...kids were driving around in brand new 911's, M3's etc. but mommy and daddy were making the payments and paying their credit card statements.

It's hard to put a number on how much per year b/c the variables are so widespread. How much you drive, how hard you drive, occassional autocrossing etc...etc. I would say regardless of all these variables...you could easily pour $1K or more in maintenance and repairs. Some years might be better than others but there's going to be a point where you really need to throw some serious coin at the car.

It's tough not to want but you'll appreciate it more and be glad that you waited until you had a steady income and preferably somewhere to house the car (garage). Good luck.

Comment

Re: Avg Maintainence in dollars per year

Originally posted by Ether.T.M3

I was wondering if you guys could just give me some estimates or softnumbers
            Hi,

I set aside $.30 per mile... not cheap but, when the car needs attention, the money is always there.

rt

Comment

usually around $1k per year in preventive maintenance or repairs. And as was stated before, it helps if you can do some of the work yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by ogi///M3
                I suggest to invest your money in school, then when time comes, get yourself a nice m3.
                I GOT MINE WHEN I WAS 16!...no my parents didnt buy it for me...I am also a college student and well...for the college cash flow mine sits in a heated garage for about 8 months out of the year now...its just to expensive..plus theres about 3ft of snow here at Michigan Tech...i spend about $1000/year on preventive maintenance or repairs and alot more on performance parts but thats my call....i also do 100% of the work myself so i have had zero labor costs....if your not going to work on it yourself its going to be very expensive...and the quality of work is hard to find cuz most mechanics have never seen one of these before...so when you hear "its a 4cyl?"...dont go there...your car will be there learner car..

but man is it FUN!:OMG: E30 M3's
                Michigan Technological University

www.a2sportcompacts.com

Comment

I say buy it. You will love the car. It'll even make your GPA higher (as soon as you realize that without the six figure job you will never be able to keep the car.)

I have owned mine for ~6 months purchased for 8K and have already spent a little more than $1500.00. with no end in sight. It's a hobby

It is the kind of hurt that feels so good.

Jason

Comment

^agreed

yeah i got mine for 5300...im over 10K into it now....just tooooooooo much fun to stop!
                    Michigan Technological University

www.a2sportcompacts.com

Comment

We can't answer that question without knowing how you intend to use it. A lot of the people here, myself included, use their M3s primarily on the track, so I'm not sure I'd be a good comparison.
                      Seattle, WA
                      currently:
                      1988 M3 ex j-stock
                      1984 911 RoW 3.2
                      http://cars.g93.net

Comment

Re: Re: Avg Maintainence in dollars per year

Originally posted by rontyler
                        Hi,

I set aside $.30 per mile... not cheap but, when the car needs attention, the money is always there.

rt
                        Hey that sounds like a cool idea. Never thought of that!

At that rate, I would have about $60ish/week. Might have to try this... just not so high of a rate (.30/mile)
                        Last edited by AutoM3otives; 01-28-2006, 04:02 PM.

M3 E30 | 318Ti Sport | 190E-16V

Comment

I am in college and I don't have deep pockets. I had work tonight but I had to call in sick cause my radiator blew up on the way home from fixing my exhaust. It hurt, double wammy style. Now I have to hope that I can get a nice radiator by next week so I don't miss school or work. If you can't do it yourself and you aren't car creative then you need to have a lot of Ben Franklins ready to work for you or else you're gonna be selling to a guy like me who likes project and also likes pain. If you can do the work buy it, otherwise get an Integra and throw a B18C in there.
                          1986 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNJ-qVPBkU

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Avg Maintainence in dollars per year

Originally posted by flipnautics
                            Hey that sounds like a cool idea. Never thought of that!

Glad I could help :-)

rt

Comment

You definitely need another reliable car and it really helps to be able to work on the car yourself. You'll need $$$ unless you have a garage, tools and plenty of time. In addition to the money I've spent on those things I average about 1500/year doing everything I can myself. If you know cars and stay on top of things an E30 M3 can be reliable enough to be a daily driver. Still it's a big gamble because if you can't do a repair yourself, its going to cost $500-8000+ to have someone else do it.

Dya like ramen noodles? Good thing I do.

Comment

Working...
                              X