No announcement yet.

Avg Maintainence in dollars per year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and remember a lot of these people quoting $1000 a year are driving cars that are already sorted/in good shape. most E30 M3's need a lot of shit done when you first buy them. unless that is, your paying around 15k for it get it?
    1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

I was also once in College and had dreams of owning one. It makes the best "Congratulations to yourself for making the grade" gift .

I picked one up but am just storing it for now until summer time. Timing was perfect because it is sitting in the garage looking pretty while I paid it off. Now Itís ready to go, ready to fix, ready to mod. Leaning how to fix the little things will end up saving some coin, but still be ready to folk it over for the $$$$ parts.

I would hold off until your certain that this car for you. There is m3 owners and M3 owners. Nothing pains me more then seeing a good M3 getting an m3 owner.

m3 = Likes the look, hates the motor,
      M3 = LOVES THE MOTOR, LOVES THE CONTROL, LOVES THE STYLE, LOVES THE HISTORY, LOVES THE SOUND, LOVES THE SMELL, HATES THE STEERING WHEEL
      Project M3 - Part Sell Off

Comment

haha you were on a roll there until "HATES THE STEERING WHEEL" i dont get it. like it doesnt have tilt?
        1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

I love Ramen noodles, $1 cans of chili and large bags of pasta served of course with no sauce to save $.
          1986 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNJ-qVPBkU

Comment

It made a perfect "thank god I graduated and no longer have to see any of these spoiled bitches again" present. Even though it is breaks a lot, its still a good present and I try to take every problem with a smile on my face, because in the end I drive an M3 when I could be driving a civic.
            1986 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNJ-qVPBkU

Comment

Originally posted by aaronmjr
              haha you were on a roll there until "HATES THE STEERING WHEEL" i dont get it. like it doesnt have tilt?

The BUS STEERING WHEEL! Everyday I take the bus to school and I occassionally see the bus driver turn that sucker, I think to myself "I'm glad I got rid of that for my MOMO haha!"
              Last edited by AutoM3otives; 01-29-2006, 06:58 AM.

M3 E30 | 318Ti Sport | 190E-16V

Comment

Originally posted by flipnautics
                The BUS STEERING WHEEL! Everyday I take the bus to school and I occassionally see the bus driver turn that sucker, I think to myself "I'm glad I got rid of that for my MOMO haha!"

^HAHAHA thats awsome....
                Michigan Technological University

www.a2sportcompacts.com

Comment

Not sure what the dollar is against the pound right now (Jan 2006) - is it about 1.7?

Using that as a conversion figure I can tell you that I paid $5,950 for the silver M3 and $6,800 for the white one. Both have a bit of a 'history' shall we say but have been perfectly well repaired. Both were purchased off ebay without viewing them first!!!

Neither have presented me with a big bill yet. Last year I did over 10,000 miles in the white one within four months. That included three trips across to Germany to the Nurburgring and three UK trackdays. I changed the oil and filter every 3,000 miles and I got through three sets of front pads and two sets of front discs in that time. Other than that it cost me nothing in routine maintenance. The electric fan packed up once - but funnily enough it was an aftermarket one, not the original BMW one. Make of that what you will.

The silver one did rather less intense mileage and only two track days during the later half of 2004. I (again) changed the oil and filter like a man obsessed but other than that the only faults were the gearbox mounts breaking and (as a result of having to drive back from Germany like that) a propshaft joint.

On top of that I get through a fair few tyres but that's my fault - not the cars. I have actually been totally amazed just how reliable these cars can be as long as they are mechanically pampered. I never thrash them cold, I never leave them ticking over for long and I never cane them just before I turn them off. I also disable them every time I change the oil and filter and use the starter to put out the oil light - not kind to the starter motor but it's better that way in my opinion.

A problem I did have with the silver one was that the optional extra 16" split rim BBS wheels started leaking after both trackdays I did in it.

If properly looked after I believe they are as reliable as any other car. Perhaps even more reliable than the e36 M3 with it's Vanos issues????

In short - I believe they have cost me an average of around $1,000 to $1,500 per annum in maintenance.

As a proviso to the above - I believe I have been extremely lucky with my two purchases - I would never recommend somebody else buys one of these little beauties off ebay without seeing them first!
                  Last edited by Harty; 01-29-2006, 07:33 AM.

Comment

I loved daily driving my M3. Its hard to believe this but now I enjoy only taking it out on the weekends and having a decent DD much more.
                    Makes the weekend that much more special, driving the car that much more special, working on the car that much easier, and generally I donít worry about racing up miles or it getting harmed as much. It becomes a special treat and unlike ice cream doesnít make me fatter.

I got mine as soon as I could after college, My father insisted this was the right choice and he was right. My car came to me IMPECABLY maintained and I still find stuff (mostly preventative maintenance) to be performed. Itís simply an expensive car to keep in tip top shape. I find this an extremely rewarding part of the ownership experience, however itís a large sum of money. I figure in six months I have spent 1k already just to get all of the little details sorted out (fluids, tie rods, brakes, plugs, cap/rotor, inspection, blah blah.)
                    Steve
                    "Technology is the only replacement for displacement" - TRD

(For business related questions please contact my other user name '[email protected]')

Comment

Originally posted by E30M3Pilot
                      ^HAHAHA thats awsome....
                      Thats what I am talking about. The Bus Wheel
                      Project M3 - Part Sell Off

Comment

Working...
                      X