X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ColinM
    replied
    Originally posted by ///Mous3 View Post
    This thread is making me want to keep my car!!!

You ought to! Why not?

Leave a comment:

• ///Mous3
    replied
    This thread is making me want to keep my car!!!

Leave a comment:

• Wolke9
    replied
    Originally posted by Dominic View Post
    Do you have a helmet? Come down to VIR during a driving school weekend. The next BMW club school (Tarheel Chapter) is March 1-2. Bring your helmet and get a ride with some instructors. There will be lots of E30 M3s (mine will be one of them, but I'm not an instructor so I can't offer you a ride).

After an instructor blows your mind with how amazing the E30 M3 is on the track, you can go home, take out your check book, and start scouring the internet until you find your new love!

Good luck! :drive:
    Thanks for the heads up on this event. I actually got an email from the local chapter recently and it completely slipped my mind. I'm already a member of BMWCCA and somehow overlooked this event in March. I would like to see if someone might be able to give me a ride sooner, but if nothing happens. . . it'll have to be that weekend. Seriously, if any of you reading this know of anybody near my area, I would pay for a tank of gas and lunch so that I can pick someones brain on these M3's.

The other ? I have is how hard it is to "relearn" how to drive. I've had FWD vehicles pretty much most of my driving life with the exception of my 1st car, a '68 Buick Skylark Convertible. I was too busy learning how TO drive in that car and not focused on actually "driving".

Obviously, I'll have to retrain my mind for oversteer instead of understeer. My concern is that the car is squirrely when you get on it kinda like the M roadster I test drove a couple of monts ago. The Mroadster has more power, I know, and is more like a little beast(not that the e30 M3 isn't a beast in it's own right). I guess I'm wondering how much the car sticks in cornering and how forgiving it is vs an understeering/torquesteering unbalanced Japanese coupe?

After watching Barrett Jackson tonight, I can see one of these rolling up on the block 20 years from now commanding the same kind of $$ that the American Muscle cars are now. . .

I guess I shouldn't wait!

Leave a comment:

• kmicinski
    replied
    If you are going to be doing a 2.5 conversion and suspension mods, then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't buy a ratty one. People that take a fairly nice car and do that to it are just throwing money away. Really the only thing I would stay away from is rust because once it starts it just never seems to stop. That having been said mine is stock with 79,000 miles on it, with the only performance mods on it being Eibachs and Bilsteins because they needed to be replaced. I just couldn't see doing a whole lot else to my car even if I wanted to. Everyone can have a 2.5 conversion with custom exhaust, chips and a j-stock suspension setup. A car can only be original once. Every time I come on here and see someone talking about there new upgrades it makes me smile knowing my car just got worth a little more and I can still go out and have plenty of fun driving it in its stock form. This car is still a very competent driver in its stock form and it seems like people are starting to forget that more and more.

Leave a comment:

• ///M3 Terr
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolke9 View Post
    I have no credit card debt
    Oh wow, what that must feel like. Everytime I get my cards down to zero, I chuck $3K at the car. It's an obsession for sure.:shit:

Leave a comment:

• K otiK M
    replied
    I'd definately say that it is always the right time to buy an e30 M3

Leave a comment:

• Dominic
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolke9 View Post
    My only ? is. . WHERE CAN I DRIVE ONE OF THESE? . . .or at least take a ride? In good conscience, I cannot/will not buy a vehicle with at least seeing how it feels/handles/drives. Is there anybody in the Richmond/Williamsburg/Va Beach area that is willing to help me out on this?
    Do you have a helmet? Come down to VIR during a driving school weekend. The next BMW club school (Tarheel Chapter) is March 1-2. Bring your helmet and get a ride with some instructors. There will be lots of E30 M3s (mine will be one of them, but I'm not an instructor so I can't offer you a ride).

After an instructor blows your mind with how amazing the E30 M3 is on the track, you can go home, take out your check book, and start scouring the internet until you find your new love!

Good luck! :drive:

Leave a comment:

• Wolke9
    replied
    Originally posted by NSXM3 View Post
    You sound like me. I paid about $10k for a stock, high fwy mi. good running, rust free example that needed a "few" things. Have put about $5-6k in it since purchase doing most of my own work. Your comment:
    "I think the 2.5l stroker kit would be a great for what I am looking for"
    is fine, but a rebuilding a 2.3 plus the 2.5 kit could easilly run well over $10,000.00

Food for thought.
    Roger that. .

It may not be in the cards for me right away to upgrade to the 2.5l kit. In the meantime I'll definitely work on getting the bugs worked out and get it running like it should. I guess I can always chip it and do some less expensive mods (relatively speaking) such as air intake, fluids, exhaust, and suspension. I'm sure that will keep me happy for a while. . . I just need to find someone in the area willing to take me for a spin/take their baby for a spin. . I'm even willing to drive a couple of hours.

I have no credit card debt but feel that may change when I get one of these M3's. Everyone's gotta have a hobby. . right!:drive:

Leave a comment:

• NSXM3
    replied
    You sound like me. I paid about $10k for a stock, high fwy mi. good running, rust free example that needed a "few" things. Have put about $5-6k in it since purchase doing most of my own work. Your comment:
    "I think the 2.5l stroker kit would be a great for what I am looking for"
    is fine, but a rebuilding a 2.3 plus the 2.5 kit could easilly run well over $10,000.00

Food for thought.
    Last edited by NSXM3; 01-17-2008, 01:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wolke9
    replied
    Originally posted by ///MCon View Post
    If price is on the mind E30 M3 not a smart choice, it is 20 years old.

Collector car why? Its a drivers car and thats how it should be!

Unfortunately, I'm not one of the many millionaires (possibly on this board) who have tons of cash to throw around on several toys. I do have some extra $$ to spend on ONE toy. And who ever said a a collector's car can't be driven. This isn't going to be a trailer queen!

Let me make one thing clear here. . I'm not going to be beautifying my garage with this car. I am going to be driving it every weekend weather permitting. And I'm not a badge whore. If I were I wouldn't be spending my bucks on a 4cyl BMW. Above all else I love to drive and do not plan on letting the grass grow underneath of it

I'll have to watch and see what I can find for my budget. For those of you that are able to put $1k's of bills into a car each year, more power to you. I choose not to live beyond my means but that shouldn't preclude me from having one of these M3's.

I think I should be able to find a decent example to drive the stink out of. I'm hoping that it will still be somewhat of an undiscovered "collector's" vehicle into the next 5 years or so. I am somewhat mechanically inclined since my Pop had a Vette shop for 30 years. I know my way around most of the basics and plan on saving money where I can.

Again, thanks for the input

Leave a comment:

• NSXM3
    replied
    "I'm looking @ spending $11k-$13k as I will probably want to save some cash (can you even do that w/ this car?) for some tasteful mods power and handling wise. . "

You can do this with these cars, but may spend a several thousand getting it up to speed. (ask me how I know) As far as power mods go, I just added a Turner chip. Good bang for the buck & really helped 2000-4000 rpm range (gave the car some mid range, what it needed most IMO) & lightened fly wheel makes it rev more happily. (just went from 19lb stock, to 14 lb) This is one of the worst cars out there bang for the buck wise to add HP. Your looking at 5k-15k+ just to get started...... And in the end, your still probably not going to put down 250 to the rear wheels.
    The factory did a pretty good job. Anything reliable on top of that is big bucks. With a little susp work, its like adding 100hp. But it only comes out when your going around corners.

Just my humble opinion after a yr of ownership.:healthyjake:
    Very helpful group here, saved my bacon many, many times...........

Leave a comment:

• allmotorking
    replied
    I just got one w/ all the suspension upgrades and can't wait to beat on it this weekend after replacing the brakes. hehe.

Leave a comment:

• OnrailsM3
    replied
    Of all the cars in your collection I bet this one will be the most fun below 80mph.

FWIW: Screw the stock garage queens, what you want is a pretty whore you can take out and whip like the family pig. Get a car with a JStock or JPrepared setup that can still be plated and get your ass on a racetrack in one of these puppies.

Buy a Hemi 'cuda for an investment, those drive like shit but appreciate like nobody's business.

These cars are for driving, buy one that's clean and run up the miles.

Leave a comment:

• ///MCon
    replied
    If price is on the mind E30 M3 not a smart choice, it is 20 years old.

Collector car why? Its a drivers car and thats how it should be!

Leave a comment:

• ///M3 Terr
    replied
    11-13K will get you a decent example (2.3l), not great, maybe not even good. I think for a good example (inside and out) that needs nothing but basic maintenance, you're spending $15K. Of course it really depends on what kinds of things you can do on your own. Are you looking for a car that you can mod yourself, or one already modded? It will be difficult to find a 2.5l car for 13K.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X