Is now the time to buy the M3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is now the time to buy the M3?

Hi everyone, I've been a lurker here for some time. I've always wanted a E30 M3. My daily driver is a E39 M5 that I love.

Is now the time to buy a M3? I consider the E30 M3 to be a collectible car destined to increase in value. I've several exotic cars and think now is as good a time as any to add one to the collection.

I am well aware of the maintenance costs that this car will require. But TO YOU the owners, do the costs incurred outweigh the joy of ownership?

:thank you
    www.clubBimmer.com

:jakeroutine:

Originally posted by 4re308 View Post
    But TO YOU the owners, do the costs incurred outweigh the joy of ownership?
    Welcome!

To me, the E30 M3 is my favorite car in the whole world. Out of every car I've ever seen, driven or even just read about it is my favorite. So no, the costs incurred will never outweigh the joy of owning one for me, because I feel very lucky :

they are quite reliable cars, but just remember that they are getting old, so any car at this age is going to need at least something. The engines can get pricey real quick depending on how deep you go. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by aaronmjr; 12-28-2007, 03:43 AM.
    1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

Hi 4re308

If you buy a well cared M3, maintenance costs are nothing more than regular oil changes. Many horror stories may have come from people buying basket cases and paying for the lack of car from the three previous owners.

Te M3 is increasing in price year after year. Perhaps 5 to 10% yearly for good exemples. So, wait longer, pay more.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
      1989 M3 racecar
      e39 Touring

Comment

In simple terms, it ain't getting any cheaper and fewer and fewer are around or changing hands. When comparing the production numbers, even by today's standards of limited runs, it is very rare.
        1991 E30 M3
        2007 Jeep Commander Overland
        2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

>But TO YOU the owners, do the costs incurred outweigh the joy of ownership?

We all have one don't we

First few years you will notice the biggest hit if the car wasn't in good hands, after than the costs taper off as long as you do the right things at the right time.

Now the mod bug is another story...

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Welcome to the addiction... this is just the 12 step program

If you keep the M5 as your daily, and as mentioned before take care of the usual suspects in the first year (rod bearings, oil pump, rubber hoses and vacuum hoses) this will be the funnest investment you'll ever be addicted to... A few track days, canyon runs, a trip to the grocery store so you get people gawking and offering cash for you to sell it, priceless!:click:
            Rich!

Comment

[QUOTE=aaronmjr;263087]Welcome!

To me, the E30 M3 is my favorite car in the whole world. Out of every car I've ever seen, driven or even just read about it is my favorite.

+1

Amen. I feel like you need and E30 M3 hanging around so that you can then buy all the other more practical BMW's on the market.
              '91 318i "does it all"
              '91 Klein Rascal "eco-friendly"

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for your replies! You guys are right, the cars seem to be going up in value about 5%-10% each year. I need to start looking!!
                www.clubBimmer.com

:jakeroutine:

Comment

If you are going to buy an m3 as a collector car, I would get a mint low mileage one. Most other e30 m3s that have been modified, poorly maintained, will not appreciate in value anywhere near as much as a pristine example.

Comment

Over ther in the US I find the M3's still haven't "jumped" in price (yet) like here in Europe. The price has doubled in the last 6/7years and an Evo 2 or 3 is worth considerably more. There is a growing demand for these cars but the good ones are settling in the hands of real enthusiasts that are willing to spend whatever it takes to keep them in top condition and are not planning to part with them in the near future.

Comment

You want to look for the best E30 M3 that you can buy. Trying to skimp out on buying a decent one will cost you. Finding one that is taken care of is hard, but they are there and pop up once in a while. Going to meets with other E30 M3 owners really puts things into perspective, it's like a private club that one a select few can enjoy.

According to Automobile Magazine, the E30 M3 is one of the few collector car that's still affordable.

Comment

I just bought my M3, and I'm sorry I waited as long as I did. In addition to paying more today than I would have 2-3 years ago when I first started considering an M3, I have missed that much time enjoying one.

I am happy with my purchase, both emotionally and financially, and if you really want one of these cars, there really isn't a bad time to buy one, as long as you buy a good example and don't go crazy on the money.
                        "Now I drive real f***ing fast, so keep up." - Winston Wolfe

Comment

Originally posted by noro View Post
                          >But TO YOU the owners, do the costs incurred outweigh the joy of ownership?

We all have one don't we

First few years you will notice the biggest hit if the car wasn't in good hands, after than the costs taper off as long as you do the right things at the right time.

Now the mod bug is another story...
                          The mod bug is what gets you. These motors are pretty reliable and the rest of the car is pretty stout, but having a stock M3 is a huge tease, especially when you watch old DTM videos of these things tearing up the track. My opinion is anytime is the right time to buy an M3, but thats just me and I have a problem.
                          1986 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNJ-qVPBkU

Comment

I say.... get one before the prices goes up again. Just a thought, and you're already a collector so why not add one more.

Comment

The M3 is now Vintage eligible with many organizations. Meaning that suddenly new people are getting interested into such cars for racing. Prices are going up for sure.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                              1989 M3 racecar
                              e39 Touring

Comment

Working...
                              X