Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm thinking of taking the plunge... Is this a good deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fellow BMW Enthusiasts

Sorry - font screwed up - here it is colors swapped.

Originally posted by alexw View Post
    I'm curious why EnthusiastAuto hasn't came in here and posted. They are members of this forum... This is a very interesting thread as they're a dealer I'm keeping an eye on for when I make my purchase. Hopefully they add their 2 cents.
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]

Just saw the thread, would have posted earlier, thanks to a customer for forwarding the link

[quote=eastsideM3;268863]If you want a low mileage car, why would buy one that is painted the incorrect color? That will always be a big knock against that car. I admit sterling is one of the best colors, but it wasnt on the 88 cars. There is some low mileage cars on Autotrader right now for the same money, so I suggest you check that out. I wouldnt touch this car for that kind of money. This one might be worth checking out.

]

*Be careful, salvage title - check the carfax. The car was on the market a year ago w/same issue.

__________________________________________________ ____________

We purchased the vehicle from a BMWCCA member/instructor in the greater LA area. He has a small collection of cars and is a VERY knowledgeable enthusiast. He purchased the car roughly four years ago to my understanding. He sparingly used the car on weekends and attended 4-5 driver's schools with the car.

We have been in contact with the party interested in the car before the thread was started and have given him all the details, disclosures and history on the car.

Some of you know us, have done business with us, or are just now learning about our company. We are in business to fuel our passion of BMW's (esp. M-Cars) and ensure that quality examples go to quality homes. We take a much different approach to selling cars and stand behind each one to the effect that we ask for the first right or refusal to buy each car back when the owner is ready to move on. To date, we have bought every example back. Not many shops have this level of dedication to these cars and their customers. This is not a charity calling, but not one to take advantage either. We are a BMW specific service/repair/upgrade facility and offer labor rates of only $70/per hour to our customers and CCA members. This labor rate is quite inexpensive across the market.

This particular car has been fully gone over and sorted out by our BMW Master technicians, who work mainly on E30 M3's.

We have disclosed that this car is a full repaint and the car has had the front seats recovered. To our knowledge - both of these issues were due to sun damage.

If anyone has any specific questions about this car or about our business - feel free to call 513.554.1BMW (1269) or [email protected]
    Specializing in late model M-Cars
    Visit us at: www.EnthusiastAuto.com

Comment

Any thoughts on what Eric at Enthusist Auto has had to say?

I will say also, that despite the fact there are questions about this car, Eric has been straightforward about everything so far, and I'd certainly consider buying a car from him, should I not purchase this one. He runs a business, and has to make money, so I don't take issue with him for doing so.

Comment

I agree with your comments about Eric. I spoke with him one day about a car on his site and he was very straightforward and honest about its history and condition.

Comment

The most important thing is that YOU the buyer feel comfortable and confident that you are purchasing a solid car that you really like. Personally I think it was a mistake to paint the car a different color especially since the guy ended up selling the car. I agree with others that changing the color from stock devalues the car.
          Terrance

Comment

Originally posted by ///M3 Terr View Post
            The most important thing is that YOU the buyer feel comfortable and confident that you are purchasing a solid car that you really like. Personally I think it was a mistake to paint the car a different color especially since the guy ended up selling the car. I agree with others that changing the color from stock devalues the car.
            Is that the primary concern of everyone?

Perhaps I'm mildly retarded, but it seems that main concerns of my fellow S14 enthusiasts are the paint coulour, the seat material, and the shine of the engine bay.

Comment

If it was a TRUE ENTHUSIAST that painted the car, he would have painted it STOCK Colour for the Year. The PO would have also done a little touch-up on the Engine bay also for another 5-600..

I know how you feel on the search. I looked for almost a year and found a GEM

G' Luck..
              Richie
              In an Embassy Somewhere..

91 M3 - SOLD but not forgotten (to J.R. Nagy)
              03 Land Cruiser with the works
              06 Royal Enfield 350

Comment

Originally posted by m3 bavaria View Post
                Is that the primary concern of everyone?

Perhaps I'm mildly retarded, but it seems that main concerns of my fellow S14 enthusiasts are the paint coulour, the seat material, and the shine of the engine bay.
                Heres the thing, for the car to be worth that kind of money, you should look at it and go holy SHIT! that car is perfect! You can find resprayed cars with lots of half assed work done for $10-15 k.
                Ask yourself how you will feel about the car after you drop another $10k into it just to have it nice.
                Just my .02 though, if you love it, buy it. However, I suspect you will sink a lot more into it.
                Good Luck either way,
                John
                88M3 henna

73T100C
                97 540\6-Gone
                2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

I'm sure that the individual at this delearship is straightforward and honest.

Bottom line is I don't feel the car is worth $27.5k. And a lot of people on here seem to agree.
                  Manager's reply upon my exiting a customer's E30 M3 after moving: "Hey your zipper's down!"
                  Mine: "Holy crap, its not what it looks like!!"

Comment

I'm not at all bothered by the paint job and interior work. My '90 is a 100% Florida car and it's showing the effect of 17+ years of sun & surf. I'm not at all surprised a Hawaii car needed a paint job and some interior work -- my main concerns would be regarding the quality of the work and the issues that can't be seen in web photos.

IronHead said it best -- people obsess about low mileage when they really should be focusing on overall condition. I once bought a 1980 320i with 127,000 on the clock and drove it to 232,000 without any issues (other than normal maintenance).

Jeeze -- this car is 20 years old! 62,500 miles means nothing if it has more than a few hard-running track miles. Somewhere the description mentions reinforced subframes -- that could me the PO blew out the OEM subframe bushings on the track, or clobbered the suspension in a minor wreck. I'd be very concerned about a noisy diff or tranny, or wheel bearings, brake disks & calipers, etc. that give up after hard use.

The problem, as I see it, is that $27k should buy one heck of a trouble-free car. Without a good mechanical/bodywork history, the new owner could easily end up sinking another $5k or $10k into over-due fixup on its 20-year old drivetrain, brakes, engine, etc.

(BTW: I agree it was a mistake to change the car's color -- no true enthusiast would have done that, IMO)
                    Last edited by ///mike; 01-25-2008, 07:08 AM.
                    The day ain't over yet....

Comment

My dad had an 83 320i with 65,000 miles, up to about 2 years ago....all original everything.

if it's garaged and well taken care of it shouldn't have need a repaint.
                      Manager's reply upon my exiting a customer's E30 M3 after moving: "Hey your zipper's down!"
                      Mine: "Holy crap, its not what it looks like!!"

Comment

Originally posted by S14addict View Post
                        My dad had an 83 320i with 65,000 miles, up to about 2 years ago....all original everything.
                        Yep, the old 320i is a tough little 4-cylinder BMW, to be sure. Kind of sounds like another car we're familiar with!

Comment

Having looked at dozens of valve covers over the past year, It seems low mi cars valve cover paint is almost solid, 100k mi 10% or so missing,
                          150k- 200k 30%- 50% flaked off.

Repainted, or bead blasted = unknown.

Not very scientific, but seems semi reliable....

Comment

My car has 80 thousand and it needs the valve cover repainted.

Comment

look at the car look did not 270000 either although look like mine

Comment

Originally posted by shanghai View Post
                                look at the car look did not 270000 either although look like mine
                                I love those wheels and how it makes your car look.
                                That's how E30 M3's should look! (IMHO!)
                                I wish mine was as good.

Comment

Working...
                                X