Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

damned 15k rule... how did everyone else do?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bought for $13.5K put $4k in right away = $17.5K
    "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Thanks Bryan, that's reassuring... The removal of the subframe still scares me; just dont want the car falling apart on me. It seems like I need some welding/reinforcement done on the subframe, so i might leave that to a shop. ill give everything else a try though.

Comment

Mine will come out to about $25K (I bought it for $6K), but it will have a new interior, 2.5 EVOIII copy rebuild, and new paint. I'm basically redoing everything.
        2000 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
        1995 Porsche 993
        2001 BMW 530iA Sport (hers)
        2004 Ford F-150 FX4
        2005 KTM 450EXC (More fun than all of the above)

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Replica
        1985 BMW M635CSI
        2001 BMW M3
        1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

Comment

my dad got his for about 6500... and since then has added a bunch of evo stuff, and done a fair amount of maintenance... the car is problem free (i'm sure at least three things will fail on the car now that i said that...knock on wood nothing happens...) and only needs some minor paint work to be a good ride, and i think he's into his about 11k... i got mine for about 10k back in 2000, since then i've broken the 20,30,maybe 35k? rule...... regardless, the car(s)provide enough enjoyment that you cannot put a price on how special, cool, fun, pimp, ect. these cars are....
          1990 e30 m3

Comment

The removal of the subframe isn't bad. I really suggest that you invest some money in a compressor and tank (if you don't have one) and an impact wrench, it can really help tough jobs go a lot faster. I would also suggest getting a manual, I have the Koala CD and I think it is really helpful. It has step by step instructions with pictures. I used to print up the instructions, and follow each step through the process. It really helped me get through all the projects.
            Bryan K.
            Texas A&M Formula SAE

Comment

It is ALL ABOUT what "you" want in a car.

Some owners want to mod to the max and some want to keep it original (concourse!). If you are the former, you should beat the $15K rule so long as the chassis is straight and if you are the latter, sky is the limit.

The question is how much you are willing to pay for a car that is right in front of you and she exceeds ALL your expectations.

Previously, I ask how much would someone pay for a well-kept no-accident-Sport Evo in the US. Some replied; $23K. What I believe is that, regardless of how much you love your E30 M3 at the moment, I believe that the majority of them will jump on that Sport Evo.

This is the Law of Supply and Demand! What is your demand counts more?

And those who think that a well-kept no-accident Sport Evo in the US is worth $23K; [mark my word] I will pay $30K!

Comment

15k rule +/- $2500

one other thing to consider is how nice you want the car to be. You can go crazy fixing every cosmetic/slightly imperfect part or fix the important mechanical stuff and have a solid car.

You car doesn't sound too bad, but it there's a definite shock factor when the first couple repairs pop up. If all you need is
                - a fuel hose (easy fix)
                - exhuast hangers (really easy if you're talking 'bout the rubber hangers)
                - and subframe/motor mounts (I would pay a shop to do this 100% right and get the subframe reinforcements)

you're in pretty good shape.

Bryant

Comment

"$15k rule" is an overused, oversimplified saying, I hate it :thumbsdown:

bottom line for me is that it's not an inexpensive car to own and maintain properly; if you have to ask how much, you are already in over your head.

I see cars where people claim they beat $15k, but the front seat side bolsters or carpet is ratty, or the engine bay looks like it sat out in the weather without a hood for the last ten years, or the suspension does a hula dance everytime it hits a bump. There's big difference between "being in excellent operating spec" and "it hasn't fallen off the car yet"

and that difference is $$$ :p

ps: I broke the bank with the initial purchase, but if I had to pin a number down in my search, it was $20k. It all depends on your standards, or your luck.
                  Last edited by TeamM3; 08-13-2004, 09:50 AM.
                  A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

I beat the rule too. I spent $3000 for the car, rebuild the engine ($2500 in parts), and went head to nose with anything rubber, or a wear item. I think i'm at about $8k. It dont not NEED anything but it could use a paint and some body work. I still got a deal.

///Matt
                    -Matt

For Aftermarket Engine Management, Visit Electromotive Store:
                    http://www.electromotivestore.com

Own a shop and need a better website?
                    PM me or Visit http://www.shop-websites.com

Comment

I paid $11 k back in 96 for a decent kept car with 17" Racing Dynamics on it with a chip, K&N replacment filter and a Borla exhaust from the original owner who could not afford to have 3 cars including his girlfriends in his underground apartment complex's garage. Original California car so there is ZERO rust anywhere except for the #@$%^# battery area which i'm sure everyone has issues because of acid leakage, interior in great shape aside from a small 1" rip in the passanger door door panel that isn't even noticable unless you look hard. I even have the original floor mats that are a bit battered to say the least, it's on the "to do " list.

Since then I would guess I've put about $15-20K in 2.5L goodies, rims and other go fast parts and I still need a good paint job and other trinkets to get it where I'm heh, "happy" but not finished, I'm in no hurry, all it can do is appreciate in value while it slumbers in my garage, covered.

The Chuck giveth, and the Chuck taketh away

Comment

$3400 for the car. Spare renewed head and timing components, seals, etc ~2600.
                        Probably an additional $1k in expenses over a sensible period.

Yeah, it needs paint and other work, but it's to the point of reliability. And I have a spare head.

Comment

Well Marsfire, let me help you feel better...

I bought it for about $10K shipped, had it inspected by a VERY VERY reputable BMW guru in Austin Texas (caveat, inspection done not the owner but the staff) walked away with a estimate of $3-4K to put the car in good health. Cosmetically the car was a 5 or 6 out of 10...and nothing has been done to resolve that.

I would say I've put in about another $10K already...just in mechanicals and some mods. The only mods are, used Fikse wheels with Toyo R compounds, so that was $2K, and maybe another $300 to $500 in mods..so about $7500 is mechanical repair from driveshafts to brake rotors to tie rods and control arms to whatever

Granted, I now have a fairly well sorted car with alot of new parts and gaskets...but still so much more to do...

Feel better ??

The key is finding a meticulous or caring previous owner, unfortunately I got impatient and got what I deserved... :sosad:

Jeff
                          Last edited by JLee; 08-13-2004, 02:36 PM.
                          1988 E30 M3, my Lachsilber Track Rat

Comment

$22,500 cost of car............

with 30,000 miles ,it was perfectly sorted thanks to 155mph.
                            $250 for chip,$250 evo steering wheel. $100 for tow hook covers and evo hood seals. $750 for nakamichi and boston pros, $200 for finned differential cover. $450 for short shift and hawk brake pads.$50 for baffle.$500 labor.........so $2550 add ons and i still can't sleep at night. the car is perfect as it is and i'm getting sicker and sicker by the day. no hang overs or dui's ,a great addiction!
                            190 rev reject

Comment

bah none of you guys should complain ive spent over double that on a non m lol, if i could do it all over again sigh

Shes sold now :(

Comment

Re: $22,500 cost of car............

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dfwidner
                                with 30,000 miles ,it was perfectly sorted thanks to 155mph.
                                $250 for chip,$250 evo steering wheel. $100 for tow hook covers and evo hood seals. $750 for nakamichi and boston pros, $200 for finned differential cover. $450 for short shift and hawk brake pads.$50 for baffle.$500 labor.........so $2550 add ons and i still can't sleep at night. the car is perfect as it is and i'm getting sicker and sicker by the day. no hang overs or dui's ,a great addiction!
                                [/QUOTE

You have an awesome car, no doubt about it
                                A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Working...
                                X