Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

damned 15k rule... how did everyone else do?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: $22,500 cost of car............

Originally posted by dfwidner
    with 30,000 miles ,it was perfectly sorted thanks to 155mph.
    $250 for chip,$250 evo steering wheel. $100 for tow hook covers and evo hood seals. $750 for nakamichi and boston pros, $200 for finned differential cover. $450 for short shift and hawk brake pads.$50 for baffle.$500 labor.........so $2550 add ons and i still can't sleep at night. the car is perfect as it is and i'm getting sicker and sicker by the day. no hang overs or dui's ,a great addiction!
    Brings a tear to my eye. :sosad: So glad it went to such a loving (funded) home.

Comment

hey 155///MPH. did you get your head examined yet? :p
      A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

7700 for the car
        2000 for paint
        500 for fixing junk on it
        1000 for tires

i beat the 15k rule, but im over 30k in now :-/
        "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
        "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
        onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

Re: Re: $22,500 cost of car............

Come'on, seriously.....I would say your economic gains on that car are more than enough to wipe away any tears

Originally posted by 155///MPH
          Brings a tear to my eye. :sosad: So glad it went to such a loving (funded) home.
          1988 E30 M3, my Lachsilber Track Rat

Comment

>Previously, I ask how much would someone pay for a well-kept >no-accident-Sport Evo in the US. Some replied; $23K. What I >believe is that, regardless of how much you love your E30 M3 at >the moment, I believe that the majority of them will jump on >that Sport Evo.

well, given my modifications and very new and sound
            technical nature of all things under may car,
            Id have to pass on the sport evo Perhaps add
            the sport to the stable and fix it up, but I wouldnt sell mine for it.
            My car will wipe the track with a sport. No contest there.

To think, Id buy a sport and then it would be full of used
            parts compared to all brand new & better running gear
            under neath my car. I dont think so...

anyway, the "price" or better said cost of running the car
            (that includes upgrades) depends on how you drive it.
            I drive mine at an accelerated rate, so it breaks and gets
            fixed with new or better parts at an acclerated rate.
            That defines the newness of my car, and it is pretty damn
            new in most respects.

Im not one of these "Ill mod my car to the max, but I
            cant drive it now because it might break" type people
            Nor the "I just turboed/supercharged my engine, but Im afraid to
            track it because it will blow" type.

John

Comment

be kind to 155mph

i'm sure he's grieving all the way to the bank!
              190 rev reject

Comment

Re: be kind to 155mph

Originally posted by dfwidner
                i'm sure he's grieving all the way to the bank!
                ha-ha, I was only kidding, it was a win-win situation for both parties
                A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

absof***inglutely!

i got the fruit of all his labor and grunting. couldn't have been luckier.
                  190 rev reject

Comment

I bought mine for $8.5K,, it's a 91 with 81K miles.. Now that I've put in about 8K miles in a year and a half.

What I need done soon: Control Arms, a minor leak around the timing chain cover.

Spent about 500.00 in maintenance and apent 800.00 on the suspension upgrade..

I'm projecting about another 2K to get all sorted out. That is if I continue to track hard..
                    Richie
                    In an Embassy Somewhere..

91 M3 - SOLD but not forgotten (to J.R. Nagy)
                    03 Land Cruiser with the works
                    06 Royal Enfield 350

Comment

I think the 15k rule may not apply to me. :p

I paid over $41,000USD (yes, fourty one thousand) just for the car. Fairly stock when I purchased it excepting a few bits here and there.

Has cost me over $50,000USD so far including purchase. I estimate before I finish it will owe me at least $60,000USD.

To put it into percpective, a new E46 M3 will cost you about $105,000 USD here in Australia. My friends E46 M3 CSL cost about $164,000USD
                      Last edited by OZM3; 08-14-2004, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OZM3
                        To put it into percpective, a new E46 M3 will cost you about $105,000 USD here in Australia. My friends E46 M3 CSL cost about $164,000USD
                        Pardon my ignorance, but why are cars so expensive in Australia?

Comment

I paid 10k for my car in 1997 with 84k miles on it...

I hardly spent any money on it undtil about 2000 and 100k miles on it. It was in great condition. So for 3 years I was under the 15k rule by far.

Since then I've probably dropped nearly 15k on it. and thats without an engine rebuild

So there you have it....im way over the 15k rule...but thats because of shit i chose to do...not what i needed to do.

Aside from an engine rebuild and some body work(which will be done ASAP) there is almost nothing left for me to do...i hope.

Comment

I'm already over the 15k rule, having spent 16.5k for a 60k miles one owner 1990. By appearance and records, the car seems to have been very well maintained. I'm waiting 30 days to accumulate a list of any quirks and questions, then I'll probably have a shop do an Inspection II.

Comment

I'm doing well, but can see myself tapping the 15G mark down the road despite the fact that I paid $3K for my '89. I've laid out a total of $7500 for this car so far and could easilly go another 4-5G in the next year. Final thought: there is not a single used car that could touch this thing for $7500, now that's piece of mind!
                              '91 318i "does it all"
                              '91 Klein Rascal "eco-friendly"

Comment

I paid $7k for my bone stock 1990 with 142k miles and a sketchy history.
                                Then I did;
                                Total suspension overhaul to J-Stock spec
                                Some body work (no, not the white fender, before that)
                                Wheels
                                VSR exhaust & roll bar
                                LOTS of other tid-bits on the body, suspension and driveline

I'm now at about $15k and I haven't touched a single thing on the motor yet I,m planning a 2.3 rebuild over the winter and expect to be well over $20k after that.

Yeah, I could have simply dropped the $20k on a nicer car. But 1/2 the fun of owning this POS is slowly bringing it back from the brink of death. I wouldn't sell it for any amount of money right now. She's my baby (< forest Gump voice)

Comment

Working...
                                X