What brackets are lower for Recaro Speed/SRD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What brackets are lower for Recaro Speed/SRD

Ok, so I have recently purchased a set of Recaro Speed seats and have been trying to figure out what brackets to use as I am 6'3". I have searched here as well as on the SIG and come to the conclusion that there is no conclusion. One thing is universal though, the standard Recaro and original Wedge Engineering brackets are all too high. The grey area begins with Speedware brackets with non height adjustable recaro universal sliders vs. Wedge engineering low profile brackets with Recaro sliders vs. custom made stuff. It honestly has given me a headache. My interior is out of the car right now awaiting installation of new carpet and heater core, followed by the seats. So I am going to have to make a decision soon. I like this website that lists different heights and is a great start for some data:

http://limitedslip.net/motorsports/e30seats/

I measured my stock seat in the lowest position and it was almost 36.875 to the headliner and 37.675 to sunroof. I am looking to get at least this amount of headroom and preferably more.

I know there are a lot of you out there running Recaro SRDs or other after market seats and I would like to add some data to the site on this for myself and others in the future to benefit from. So if you would not mind taking a tape measure and seeing what the distance is from the bottom of the seat cushion (near the backrest) to the headliner and the sunroof (if you have one) and post it here that would be awesome. And if you are feeling ambitious, maybe email it to the guy who started the website above as well.

Thanks!

Re: What brackets are lower for Recaro Speed/SRD

Originally posted by sacM3
    Ok, so I have recently purchased a set of Recaro Speed seats and have been trying to figure out what brackets to use as I am 6'3". I have searched here as well as on the SIG and come to the conclusion that there is no conclusion. One thing is universal though, the standard Recaro and original Wedge Engineering brackets are all too high. The grey area begins with Speedware brackets with non height adjustable recaro universal sliders vs. Wedge engineering low profile brackets with Recaro sliders vs. custom made stuff. It honestly has given me a headache. My interior is out of the car right now awaiting installation of new carpet and heater core, followed by the seats. So I am going to have to make a decision soon. I like this website that lists different heights and is a great start for some data:

http://limitedslip.net/motorsports/e30seats/

I measured my stock seat in the lowest position and it was almost 36.875 to the headliner and 37.675 to sunroof. I am looking to get at least this amount of headroom and preferably more.

I know there are a lot of you out there running Recaro SRDs or other after market seats and I would like to add some data to the site on this for myself and others in the future to benefit from. So if you would not mind taking a tape measure and seeing what the distance is from the bottom of the seat cushion (near the backrest) to the headliner and the sunroof (if you have one) and post it here that would be awesome. And if you are feeling ambitious, maybe email it to the guy who started the website above as well.

Thanks!
    I have SRD's with the low profile wedge brackets and it is 37" and 38".

T

Comment

Re: Re: What brackets are lower for Recaro Speed/SRD

Perfect. Does the bracket have a spot to install the stock seatbelt?

Originally posted by HANDBLT
      I have SRD's with the low profile wedge brackets and it is 37" and 38".

T

Comment

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...lower+brackets

http://www.s14.net/forums/search.php...der=descending

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Re: Re: Re: What brackets are lower for Recaro Speed/SRD

Originally posted by sacM3
          Perfect. Does the bracket have a spot to install the stock seatbelt?
          yes

Comment

I went through the same painful process of finding no consensus regarding "lowest" seat-bracket configuration for Recaro SRDs.
            The combination, that was mentioned more than any other was as you said - Speedware brackets + Non-adjustable Recaro sliders(vertically non-adjustable).
            So I have bitten the bullet and have ordered those pieces from Speedware and will take a look at what I get next week when the package finishes it's journey across the states(from WA to NC).

Comment

yup lowest I found was the sliding only brackets and the speedware ones. I'm 6-4" and can fit in with a helmet
              Chris
              90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

Originally posted by cramer
                yup lowest I found was the sliding only brackets and the speedware ones. I'm 6-4" and can fit in with a helmet
                Exactly..

The slightly non-height adjustable sliders and the sparco brackets were the only parts that worked for me being 6'4" also.... its a great setup though with excellent finish on the parts from speedware.

1990 e30 m3

Comment

Cramer, uofom3 - would you guys mind measuring your seat bottom to headliner heights? I would really appreciate having some numbers to compare to as I am sure others would as well.

Small - Keep us posted how they turn out.

Magnus - Read all those threads already. I am trying to get data to go with peoples opinions.

Thanks all!

Comment

I bought my car the way it is so I don't have details but I am 6'4" and have plenty of clearance above me. The seats are recaro srd's and the brackets have been cut and welded custom to be lower. I'm not sure what bracket it was to start out with but.... I can measure the clearance if needed.

Ben

Comment

i can get to my car tomorrow afternoon or maybe friday morning.... if no one else measures before then i'll take it for you then no problem
                      1990 e30 m3

Comment

Originally posted by UofOm3
                        i can get to my car tomorrow afternoon or maybe friday morning.... if no one else measures before then i'll take it for you then no problem
                        Sounds good man, Thanks!

Comment

here is the original post I made about the brackets with the measurements (37.5") back in 10/03 the pics are on imagestation so you'll need to copy/ paste to see them. http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...&threadid=2586

edit- for whatever reason copy/paste only works on some pics.. so here is the direct link to the album: http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=4288855945
                          Last edited by cramer; 01-12-2006, 06:17 AM.
                          Chris
                          90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

I too went through all of this and it made my head spin also. I ordered the Speedware brackets and non-adjustable sliders. I found this set up to be too LOW. I am 6 feet even and felt like I was sitting on the floor. Obviously this is subjective.

I found the quality of the speedware brackets to be just Ok for what I paid for them. They use thin 1/16 inch steel plate to make their brackets, which felt a little flimsy to me. I did like the design however and used it to copy and made a custom bracket out of 1/8 inch steel plate. The paint job on the speedware bracket was poor in my opinion and chipped and flaked easily durring normal instalation. Not a real issue, but my car is more concours than it is autocross and I did'nt want my high dollar Recaro SRD's mounted in my clean interior with cheap looking brackets....

Sorry that I do not have any exact measurements. I just wanted to share my experience.

Good Luck!

~WL

Comment

Thanks cramer. That is one of the better threads in the archives. The link was really helpful as the pics don't work directly for me.

Originally posted by cramer
                              here is the original post I made about the brackets with the measurements (37.5") back in 10/03 the pics are on imagestation so you'll need to copy/ paste to see them. http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...&threadid=2586

edit- for whatever reason copy/paste only works on some pics.. so here is the direct link to the album: http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=4288855945

Comment

Working...
                              X