Mounting Shell Seats - Sparco etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting Shell Seats - Sparco etc

Looking for help mounting shell seats - using the stock mounting points.

Has anyone used the VAC Motorsports brackets? Any good?

I don't want to use sliders - I will be the only driver. My seats are Sparco Pro2000's.

I'd appreciate any of your experience / handy info

Also --- anyone know where I can read up on FIA homologation standards, etc?

Thanks and Happy New Year,
    Last edited by Low Level; 01-01-2007, 11:16 AM.
    -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Found the FIA homologation stuff, thanks!
    -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

VAC is nice, try to mount the seats close to the tran. tunnel...

Comment

VAC mounts in mine with Recaro Profi's.
        It'll be a bit canted if you keep the carpeting in. I am using sliders, and I had to stack some washers under the VAC plates to keep the stock mounting studs in the front from hitting the sliders.
        Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Hi Low

If FIA certification is a minor concern, you could use a system like the one the picture. It keeps the OEM sliders and allows to use different widths of seats. It bolts directly on the stock sliders. I tested it for the whole track season and like it a lot. It also allows to use the stock safety belt buckle.

BTW Sorry for the lousy picture.
          Last edited by LeeVuong; 01-01-2007, 12:52 PM.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
          1989 M3 racecar
          e39 Touring

Comment

I'm using the VAC mounts with my Profi's.

this is what it looked like with a test fit before harnesses.

to get the mount to lie flush i had to cut a few slits into the carpeting and tear out some foam backing. you don't see any of it, but it fits much better.

only problem I had with the brackets is how I can't get the seat any more forward then you see right there. I have long legs so its great but for other people that get in they don't like it. The bolt that goes UP from the floor up front is the cause of this. The rear is a bolt that goes down. I don't know why they couldn't have done that front and rear, because the threaded rod upfront gets in the way of the side mount. If you trim it a bit you could go forward but you'd have to run a die over the thread again, and if you screw up then you messed up a bolt welded to the car.
            ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by paintpro21

to get the mount to lie flush i had to cut a few slits into the carpeting and tear out some foam backing. you don't see any of it, but it fits much better.

only problem I had with the brackets is how I can't get the seat any more forward then you see right there. I have long legs so its great but for other people that get in they don't like it. The bolt that goes UP from the floor up front is the cause of this. The rear is a bolt that goes down. I don't know why they couldn't have done that front and rear, because the threaded rod upfront gets in the way of the side mount. If you trim it a bit you could go forward but you'd have to run a die over the thread again, and if you screw up then you messed up a bolt welded to the car.
              The stacked washers as I mentioned solved both these issues... no modification to the carpet, and still allows 100% use of the full adjustable mounting of the VAC plates with or without sliders.

There is still PLENTY of thread left on the stud to safely attach the plates, so no need to worry about under-threading on the front nut.

Best,
              Chris
              Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

When I mounted my Cobra Suzuka GT drivers seat I used the Cobra bracket and it was a direct bolt in. No adapters needed. I mounted a Cobra Imola on the passenger side and had to fab up a couple of brackets. They were pretty simple and work well.
                http://www.mydig.com/auto/articles/cobra_seats/

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL
                  The stacked washers as I mentioned solved both these issues... no modification to the carpet, and still allows 100% use of the full adjustable mounting of the VAC plates with or without sliders.

There is still PLENTY of thread left on the stud to safely attach the plates, so no need to worry about under-threading on the front nut.

Best,
                  Chris
                  I'm not a huge fan of the use of washers as spacers. But its something I'll consider testing since I'll be pulling the seats out soon to do some work upfront.
                  ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

Hi, I have the sparco seat brackets without the slider, I used it from my old 318is with sprint seat.
                    not 100% sure if the mounting holes from M3 & e30 318is are the same. make me an offer if you want it. Ogi
                    :burn:RED DRAGON

Comment

I mounted my OMP ARS seats without sliders using the stock mounting holes and hardware. I used the 6mm aluminum OMP brackets. The inner (tranny tunnel) bracket was mounted with the bracket "tab" facing inboard. The outer (door) side bracket was mounted with the "tab" facing outboard (towards the door). I put the brackets in a milling machine to increase the bolt hole bores. She's nice and low, with a clean installation - FIA approved!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Christopher
                      Christopher

www.brmmotorsports.com

Comment

Thanks fellas, for all the info!

Do ALL of you have rollbars / rollcages in your cars...?
                        -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

Originally posted by Low Level
                          Do ALL of you have rollbars / rollcages in your cars...?
                          It's really your only option when properly mounting 5/6 point harnesses with race buckets. Plus, it looks really cool!

Christopher
                          Christopher

www.brmmotorsports.com

Comment

Mick / Christopher,

Could you guys take photos as to where you mounted your drivers side (right/tranny tunnel) harness mounts?

Mick,

Did you use the driver side stock belt hole (bottom) to mount the left side harness mounts?

Lee,

What do you charge again for those side mounts and could you make side mounts with a flat floor like Micks or Christophers side mounts?

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian3
                              Mick / Christopher,

Could you guys take photos as to where you mounted your drivers side (right/tranny tunnel) harness mounts?
                              I used OMP eyebolts and OMP eyebolt backing plates:

I drilled a hole in the floor behind the seat, near the tranny tunnel. There is a flat area underneath, so you have to measure carefully. The harness clips-in like this:

I also sell all of this stuff ;-)

Christopher
                              Christopher

www.brmmotorsports.com

Comment

Working...
                              X