Recaro SRD vs. Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recaro SRD vs. Speed

Owners of Recaro Speeds and/or SRDs might be interested in this. I put them next to each other and took pictures to show exactly what the differences are between them. The Speed is on the left and the SRD is on the right.

There are 3 main differences I could see. The two obvious ones when you look at the seats are that the Speeds have a higher head rest but have narrower shoulder supports. Another difference I noticed between them after sitting in them is that the Speeds have a thinner seat bottom which makes the lower side supports more pronounced. This makes the seats more supportive here than the SRDs I think. The shoulder supports dont stick out as far so the seats dont look quite as cool, but I dont notice any difference in support here between the seats. Maybe if you have very wide shoulders you can notice more of a difference.

Anyway, they are small differences but might be helpful if you have the choice between the two - they are for sure different. Here are the pics (I apologize for the size):

Jeff J.
    1990 E30 M3

Can you weigh each?

Stan

Comment

great pics Jeff. I've had SRD's in my car for a couple of years now and I just heard that the new SPEED seats had larger bolsters. I was thinking of replacing one of mine with a speed, but I think I don't want two different seats in there at the moment.

Sounds like if you could get the bottom of the SPEED and the top of the SRD in one seat you'd have an awesome street seat.

I'd also like to know the weight of each, particularly the SRD. I never weighed them or my stock seats to see how much weight, if any, was saved.

Dave
      Last edited by 1990m3; 05-19-2004, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I like a seat with a large lower back support. I keep my OEM seats adjusted all of the way out. I'm driving a rental car now without adjustable back support and my back hurt after only 90 miles. How do racing seats do toward holding your spin in a proper position?

Comment

I think I'd like the Speed more. The SRD has always seemed to wide to me, I'm pretty lanky and like the narrower seats. I still have room in my Sparcos.

Comment

>>>I think I'd like the Speed more. The SRD has always seemed to wide to me, I'm pretty lanky and like the narrower seats. I still have room in my Sparcos.<<<

Well...these ARE steel framed seats...so you could bend them a bit to make them wider or narrower to some extent. On the shell seats the same thing, except by adding / removing foam under the covers.

Stan

Comment

Meh. I just bought narrower seats.

The Recaros are the business though. I still want a pair. Great seat either way.

Comment

The Speed is tight for me, 36" waist. I have broad shoulders and the speed is all around tighter. The SRD was my first choice if I got a tilt seat. I opted for a one piece seat instead for the best mix of comfort and support. The Pole Positions fit perfect for me but are not as comfy as the SRD.

Aren't the SRDs discontinued?
                Last edited by OnrailsM3; 05-19-2004, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Here is my take...

SRD is the Football player
                  Speed is the Basket Ball player

I'm built like a Football player, so the SRD is for me.

6ft 225lbs.

Do not click
                  At least it's German

Comment

sweet, im a basketball player...thanks for the summary Mike

Comment

To get the best of both worlds, can you swap the SRD seat back onto the Speed base? Yes, expensive it would be, but you'd get the deep seat base with the shoulder bolsters.

RedShark Racing http://www.brannfors.com
                      1988 M6
                      1990 M3
                      1991 M5

Comment

Well I'm 5'10" and about 155 and I love my SRD's. I have virtually no lateral movement and I love the seats. Matter of fact, I hate driving my Volvo without the SRD's, I think I'm going to get a set for my volvo next year

Comment

Great write up Jeff...thanks. I thought the Speed was only available in velour?

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                          85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                          91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

If you want a LOT of support in a reclining seat...checl out the Bride Brix. I sat in them at an autocross...they are like SRDs on steroids. The pic doesn't do them justice. I think I may have a PIC from the event, if I can find it I'll post it. They appeared to be well made and were not cheap. Check out the leg support.

Stan
                            Last edited by Stan; 05-20-2004, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik_Brannfors
                              To get the best of both worlds, can you swap the SRD seat back onto the Speed base? Yes, expensive it would be, but you'd get the deep seat base with the shoulder bolsters.
                              Dam Erik, nice to see you on the board, it's about time!!

Do not click
                              At least it's German

Comment

Working...
                              X