18mm Spark Plug Socket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18mm Spark Plug Socket

I'm looking for a plug socket that will work with Bosch and NGK plugs. I assume an 18mm will work with both. Anyone ever try this one?

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...646&Division=6

Mike

I got the a Hazet socket here is the number 880Mg T-18. It works with bothe the Bosch and NGk plugs. it was $40 on eBay.

Comment

As the correct size is 11/16" or 17.5mm for the Bosch X5DTC you are taking a risk here.

Why not order the right size from the dealer, part no 90 00 0 121 160, should be abt $ 30-35?

Dunno about the NGK's though...
      Rgds,
      Jeroen

Stealth M3

Comment

I dont know the tool Jeroen refers to, but I do know that the tool box socket also works on NGK (D7EA) plugs that have an 18mm hex.

Any pics of that OEM tool? cant find it on realoem.com

Comment

No pics, but it's a long 11/16" spark plug socket which are hard to find here...
          Rgds,
          Jeroen

Stealth M3

Comment

^Snap-On has a similar socket as well if it is easier for you to get in touch with them.
            1990 e30 m3

Comment

I bought the factory toolbox socket thru maximillian imports. Around $40 and it is a really nice socket. May take a little while to get. Mine came in from the motherland.
              John
              88M3 henna

73T100C
              97 540\6-Gone
              2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

You can PM rally guy. He machines a craftsmen socket to fit the S14 head. It’s a beautiful looking and working item, he even FedEx me one in a jif and it’s perfect.
                Steve
                "Technology is the only replacement for displacement" - TRD

(For business related questions please contact my other user name 'Steve@VAC')

Comment

x2 for Rally guy. Thats who I got mine from. Great product and price!

Comment

I bought mine from ebay for $20.00 cdn including shipping. keep checking in ebay it comes out once in awhile.
                    :burn:RED DRAGON

Comment

Originally posted by hardtailer
                      I dont know the tool Jeroen refers to, but I do know that the tool box socket also works on NGK (D7EA) plugs that have an 18mm hex.

Any pics of that OEM tool? cant find it on realoem.com

Here is the BMW Tool P/N 88-88-6-121-160 List $37.75. Make sure to buy a locking extension like toe one shown so it doesnt get stuck down there. The socket has an extremely powerful magnet.

Jeremiah

Originally posted by drinaldis
                      I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

Does the factory tool fit on 18mm NGK plugs? I thought it was 11/16", which is fine for Bosch. I've had no problem finding 11/16" Hazet sockets, but it's harder to track down 18mm. An 18mm socket should work on Bosch plugs also without a problem. There may a tiny bit of play, but we're only talking 17 lbs. of torque. I think I'll order the Hazet 880Mg T-18. I found it for $42 at Maryland Metrics. That locking extension is great, much better than the gaffer's tape I usually use.

I thought I'd try to save a few bucks by using the motorcycle socket. The thin wall 18mm motorcycle sockets are pretty common, and should work well. They are designed for Honda XR400's, which evidently have a very tight plug hole. They're usually around $20, but I don't think most of them are magnetic.

Thanks.

Mike

Comment

Guys, I know some of you may just be tool junkies,,, but any motorcycle shop will have thin wall spark plug sockets inn all the sizes you want for 4 valve motorcycles.
                          Cheap, and a walk in purchase at any decent motorcycle shop on the planet.

HTH
                          jimmy p
                          jimmy p.
                          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                          92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                          98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                          04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p.
                            Guys, I know some of you may just be tool junkies,,, but any motorcycle shop will have thin wall spark plug sockets inn all the sizes you want for 4 valve motorcycles.
                            Cheap, and a walk in purchase at any decent motorcycle shop on the planet.

HTH
                            jimmy p
                            Yeah but where's the fun in that.
                            88M3 henna

73T100C
                            97 540\6-Gone
                            2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

Hey smiked1,

did you ever get that motion pro 18mm spark plug socket? how does it fit? is the socket wall thin enough to get in there? I was going to pick one up today but thought I should search on the forums first.

Comment

Working...
                              X