Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

spark plugs, how do they look (img included)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spark plugs, how do they look (img included)?

What is there to tell about these spark plugs?

cilinder1

cilinder2

cilinder3

cilinder4

I had some issues lately with a malfunctioning O2-sensor and thus a rich running engine (CO > 1% at idle). After cleaning up the sensor the measured values where ok.

The engine is now running very badly and hardly keeps running at idle when cold.

No 4 looks oily? And they all look sooty to me, although im not a massive expert

Comment

They look rich and the last one is oil fouled. They are also the wrong plugs.

Look at this.

http://www.boschautoparts.com/NR/rdo...kplugfaces.pdf

Jordan
      "Never lift"

Comment

Originally posted by jordantii
        They look rich and the last one is oil fouled. They are also the wrong plugs.

Look at this.

http://www.boschautoparts.com/NR/rdo...kplugfaces.pdf

Jordan
        Thanks for the link. I'm about to do a compression test this week. Already wondering about cilinder 4 . . .

The plugs are Bosch X5DTC and as far as I know the correct type.

Marc

Comment

If you have access to the equipment try conductinbg a cylinder leakdown test as well.

Comment

Those are not stock plugs...

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian3
              Those are not stock plugs...
              Well I'm sorry but ETK says:

BOSCH X5 DTC
              12 12 9 061 868

Maybe US-models do have other stock spark plugs? What type are you using?

Comment

Even though the stock plugs in the U.S. are the X5DC, the X5DTC are the specified plugs in some other markets. They are supposed to be equivalent (other than having the two other ground electrodes).

But I agree, #1-3 look very soothy, like the car has been running very rich, and #4 looks very oily. They should all be replaced with new ones.

Seems from your post that like the rich running condition has been fixed, but the oily #4 is more worrisome. Could be very worn rings/bore, or maybe some valve stem seals are bad? Either way, check the plugs every couple hundred miles after you put the new ones in to see if the condition persists.

-Luis

Comment

Obviously they're all rich.

I don't think #4 is oily, I think it's misfiring. I've seen situations like this where a sooty rich running cylinder stops firing properly the gas loosens up the soot making it *appear oily.

It could also explain why the car won't idle.
                  Check the wires, cap, rotor and connections... and get yourself some proper plugs.

Comment

US models had the X5DC with one single ground elctrode. Euro got X5 DTC with 3 ground electrodes.
                    NGK D7 EA is a good and good-value alternative.

Comment

Well, I have to say that the plug from cilinder 4 is now looking like the one from cilinder 1. I took out the plugs and photographed them very shortly after the engine run for a moment. So I guess the plug from cilinder 4 had still some gasoline on it that vaporized slowly?

I do have a set of new plugs (same type). I'll fit them tomorrow and see if the engine runs better.

And I'll take the advise of marques and take a look at the plugs every now and then.

Oh . . . distributor and spark plugs (Magnecors from Gustave) are new.

Thanks for the replies/suggestions.

Comment

You say "After cleaning up the sensor" what did you clean the sensor with? you shoould NEVER EVER EVER clean o2 sensors you will destroy them. Go buy a new sensor.

Comment

This is true. In fact I don't even know how you can clean the sensor because it is enclosed in the metal tip, with small slots to allow the gasses in.
                          "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...threadid=22156
                            "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

I didn't clean the sensor myself. My neighbour - who's a mechanic (for nearly 30 years) - did. As far as I know he did some cleaning on the metal tip after which my car passed the emission test with the right figures. If the sensor couldn't be cleaned the way he did, he for sure would have told me.

@AlpineRunner: thanks for the link but when I'm gonna change the O2 sensor it will be a wideband.

Comment

Working...
                              X