Announcement

Collapse

SIGFEST 2017, Please join us this June 16th-17th

If you're in the North East of the US this June, please join us for SigFest in NJ. Registration is open. http://www.sigfest.com/events.php
See more
See less

Spark Plug CAPS...wtf...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plug CAPS...wtf...

I bought some NGK D7EA's, which didn't come with the caps on the ends of them. So, since I had read that it was hit or miss whether you get the caps or not, I figure it shouldn't be that difficult to unscrew the little bastards from my old plugs. Well, I was wrong, and I mauled one.

Are all caps created equal? I'm now doing a mad scramble to get some plugs for my car before leaving for a trackday. Apparently a local supplier can get some X5DC's with caps, but I'm not counting on it...so if I can just take any cap from any random plug places have in stock, and put them onto my new NGK's, that would be good to know.

Here's a nice picture of my incompetence :p

I ran through the same thing the other day and I have to dig up some old caps I had. I believe all Bosch caps are the same.
    Because anything worth doing is worth doing fanatically!
    Born date 01/88
    Ryan

Comment

The X5DC's that came with caps are non-removable caps.

When i got some without caps i just asked nicely for some caps from my mechanic and they gave them to me free of charge.

I believe all the caps are interchangeable. Grab some and see if they fit, i believe they should regardless of the type of spark plug.

Comment

Re: Spark Plug CAPS...wtf...

D'oh non-removable... I'll look for some other Bosch plugs w/ removable caps to try tomorrow.

Comment

Nick,

Just go to the auto parts store and buy any el cheapo plugs that have removable caps. You are not looking for M3 plugs, you are just after the caps. I know autolite has many plugs with removable caps. The threads on the plug caps are all the same as far as I know.

I have several sets of caps, if you need me to I could fed ex them to you. I will take a set with me to work.

Best,

Jordan
          "Never lift"

Comment

Thanks for the offer Jordan, I got some el cheapo caps and everything is good.

I think this is a sign for me to buy 100 plugs and just keep stock

Comment

excuse my ignorance.. but what's the advantage on having a removable spark caps? I just changed mine and I the plugs comes in with the cap..( fixed ones I guess). is the removable cap better? thankx, Ogi
              :burn:RED DRAGON

Comment

There is no advantage, just because some X5DC come with cap, some don't :-) So if you have removable caps, save them :-)
                Because anything worth doing is worth doing fanatically!
                Born date 01/88
                Ryan

Comment

Nick,

When you change out the plugs in the future just remove the old caps and save them. That is what I do. I have 2 spare sets and a set on my plugs.

Glad it worked out.
                  Jordan
                  "Never lift"

Comment

Originally posted by d2a4
                    There is no advantage, just because some X5DC come with cap, some don't :-) So if you have removable caps, save them :-)
                    thankx Ryan. Ogi
                    :burn:RED DRAGON

Comment

the removeable caps are installed with thread locker.

m

Comment

Originally posted by Mmark
                        the removeable caps are installed with thread locker.

m
                        Not mine.
                        "Never lift"

Comment

Originally posted by jordantii
                          Not mine.
                          This is getting scary.
                          Bosch plugs seem to be all over the place in terms of percieved quality.

1, Nice uniform cross section caps.
                          2, Waisted removeable caps w/o thread lock.
                          3,waisted removeable caps with thread locker.
                          4, non removeable waisted caps.
                          5, no caps at all.

BMW boxed Bosch plugs seem to have non removeable caps.

I think I'll use NGK next time

m

Comment

Mine did not come with caps either. I just bought some cheap Bosch plugs for $1.09 a piece so I could harvest their caps.

Lame to not supply them in the first place.

- gabor
                            October 1987 build date.

Comment

Working...
                            X