Announcement

Collapse

SIGFEST 2017, Please join us this June 16th-17th

If you're in the North East of the US this June, please join us for SigFest in NJ. Registration is open. http://www.sigfest.com/events.php
See more
See less

Uneven Spark Plug Readings......

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that doesn't look too lean to me
    A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian3
      Just a tad bit...

Tony,

Did you figure out the problem?
      Not yet. We have had four consecutive weekends of tropical weather. Doesn't look too good for next weekend either with Ivan coming:sosad:

T

Comment

Originally posted by ADA///M
        so i appear to be running lean :sosad:
        ....at least its consistent across all the cylinders

they arent as white as they look in that picture due to the flash...they are more of a light brown

i need to do some tuning huh?
        Not good. See those little balls of alum on the plugs? Those are coming off of your piston tops from detonation.....:sosad:

They are too hot also, the color on the ground strap should only change half way up the strap.

T

Comment

so basically im fuxored

Comment

you can't tell that for sure from the pic, you need to look at it with a magnfying glass to be sure, there are numerous guides with demostrative pics on diagnosing your plugs, do a google and get a magnifying glass or eyepiece
            A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

I dont think they are running too lean, but they are on the leaner side which I dont
              think is a real problem judging by your picture.
              if I put X5DTC in my engine, that is how they look, but that is too hot a plug
              on my engine. my other plugs dont look like that.
              I dont know if that is really alum on the plug I cant tell from the pic.
              youve got oil on #1 plug seat, are the 2 small valve cover gaskets ok?
              if you look thru the spark plug hole (rotate crank to bring piston up if necessary)
              can you see flaking? e.g. the piston should be brown/black, do you see any
              bare spots? what kind of AFR are you seeing under full load?

if you feel like it, you might consider getting different spark wires...

John

Comment

Originally posted by HANDBLT
                Not yet. We have had four consecutive weekends of tropical weather. Doesn't look too good for next weekend either with Ivan coming:sosad:

T
                Your telling me! Florida = Frances = Bad Weather!

Comment

any help: http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Sp...s_catalog.html

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...ead-plugs.html

"DragStuff Home > Article Index

Reading Spark Plugs
                  by Meaux Racing Heads

* This is only valid if you shut-off the engine after the finish line then tow the car back to the pits where you remove the plugs for reading !!
                  * Or if you are on the dyno
                  * VALID ONLY for full load acceleration or steady state dyno tests

Plugs are best viewed with a 10x power illuminated magnifying glass.

* The "Ground Strap" = Heat Range
                  * The "Plug's Base Ring" = Jetting
                  * The "Porcelain" = signs of preignition/detonation

Heat Range

Heat Range = Ground Strap, the ground strap indicates the heat-range of the spark plug. If the "color" of the ground strap "changes" too close to the ground strap's end, (which is above the center electrode), then the heat-range is "too cold", meaning that the strap is loosing heat too quickly to the base ring, and is not able to burn off deposits until near its end.

If the "color" of the strap changes near where it is welded/attached to the base ring (last thread ring), then it means that the plug heat-range is "too hot", because heat is not being transferred/cooled from the strap to the base ring quickly enough !!!! The strap might begin to act like a "glow-plug", eventually causing preignition and/or detonation later on.

Proper heat-range is when the "color" is at the halfway point on the strap, neither too cold or too hot.

_ (Color = meaning the evidence of heat/or lack of heat by the appearance dark vs lightened color of metal)
                  Jetting

Jetting = the air/fuel mixture ratio shows up on the base ring (the last thread ring, it has the strap welded to it). You want a full turn of light soot color on the base ring!!! If you want to tune for max. power, then you want 3/4 to 7/8ths of a full turn of light soot color to show up on the base ring, but this is on ragged-edge of being too lean, but will make the most HP on most engines.

To be safe, leave it at a full turn of light soot color. If the base ring has a full turn of color, but there are "spots" of heavy buildup of "dry soot" on top of color, then jetting is too rich .

* If the base ring has a full turn of color with some spots of heavy dry soot, then jetting is too rich, REGARDLESS, if the porcelain is "BONE-WHITE", jetting is still TOO RICH !!!

* Do not look at the porcelain to read jetting !!!

_

Preignition/Detonation

Porcelain = the porcelain shows up preignition/detonation, it will not accurately reveal jetting/air/fuel ratios. To look for the first/beginning signs of detonation, search the white porcelain for tiny black specks or shiny specks of aluminum that have fused to the porcelain. When detonation occurs, part of the air/fuel mixture explodes instead of burning, the explosion is heard as a "metallic knock", this audible knock is the result of a sound shock-wave, this shock wave travels back and forth across the clearance volume "disrupting" the cooler boundary layer gases that cover the entire clearance volume area. This disruption allows "more" heat to be transferred into parts, especially, domes/piston tops,...along with the very rapid rise in pressure like a hammer blow, pistons can get torched with melted sides and holes !!! With the early signs of detonation, the shock-wave will also rattle rings causing the tiny amounts of oil that now gets by rings, to be fused to the white porcelain as tiny black specks, also fused as specks are soot that was clinging to clearance volume surfaces in the relatively "still-air" of the boundary layer. One step beyond the black specks, will be tiny specks/balls of aluminum coming off the pistons that will be fused to white porcelain,....the next step to be reached is occasional pieces of the porcelain being broken-off as detonation gets worse, ETC. Soon after that are holes, blown head gaskets, broken connecting rods, ETC.

* Additional signs of beginning detonation are piston rings. By comparing ring's "free-diameter" to "out-of-box" free-diameters of new unused rings will reveals beginnings of detonation before much harm is caused !!! This is a result of the above previous explanation about heat being transferred more readily because the of the relatively insulating/cooler boundary layer being disrupted by the shock-wave. A piston ring is a simple spring, when a spring is overheated it will loose tension.

"Remember when reading plugs...

* The "Ground-Strap" = Heat Range
                  * The "Plug's Base-Ring" = Jetting
                  * The "Porcelain" = signs of preignition/detonation"

Last edited by UK215M3; 09-06-2004, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John
                    I dont think they are running too lean, but they are on the leaner side which I dont
                    think is a real problem judging by your picture.
                    if I put X5DTC in my engine, that is how they look, but that is too hot a plug
                    on my engine. my other plugs dont look like that.
                    I dont know if that is really alum on the plug I cant tell from the pic.
                    youve got oil on #1 plug seat, are the 2 small valve cover gaskets ok?
                    if you look thru the spark plug hole (rotate crank to bring piston up if necessary)
                    can you see flaking? e.g. the piston should be brown/black, do you see any
                    bare spots? what kind of AFR are you seeing under full load?

if you feel like it, you might consider getting different spark wires...

John
                    Thanks John....i agree that its not as bad as it looks in the picture...the flash really made it look a lot whiter than it really is...its really more brownish.

I put in some colder plugs today and it seems to be running better...ill pull them out soon and check them do see if thats any different.

The oil i believe is comign from between the cam carrier and the head....i think one of the o-rings might have gotten messed up on my re-install.

Im too lazy to fix that right now though :(

Comment

Working...
                    X