Heater core leaking???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater core leaking???

OK, I suspect my heater core is leaking. Getting condensation on the windshield while driving, small amount low over the grilles. Small amount of coolant under car when sits in the garage. I think the driver side carpet may be damp, have not pulled it.
    Can anybody verify known symptoms of failure and replacement procedure?
    Thanks guys,
    John
    88M3 henna

73T100C
    97 540\6-Gone
    2008 MINI Clubman S

When mine went bad:

-Excessive fogging of the front windshield, coupled with a more "dirty fog" covering of the inside window glass. Also had a coolant smell when the heat was turned on and fan was blowing.

- Small puddle of coolant under the car (below transmission) when the car was running with the heat on

-Slow but steady consumption of coolant. (Very slow... maybe half the bottle in 2-3 weeks of daily driving)

Replacement:

Drain radiator
    Disconnect hoses in engine bay that pass through firewall
    Cover drivers floor/tranny tunnel with plastic and keep a bunch of towels handy
    Remove center console
    Remove D.Side floor vent tube
    Undo 3 or 4 screws on heater core
    Remove/Loosen 2 tubes that come down through firewall
    Slide out old HC - be ready to absorb spilled coolant
    Slide replacement in
    reverse procedure
    add coolant... bleed system with Heat turned ON and engine running.

All done.
    It took me less than 2 hours maximum.

HTH,
    Chris
    Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Like Chris said...

Comment

Sounds right. Guess I'll order a replacement.
        Thanks Guys!
        John
        88M3 henna

73T100C
        97 540\6-Gone
        2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

I think I'm now in the same boat. I get a coolant smell with the heat on. So much that I can't drive the car to work if I am going to turn the heat on.

I also have wet (not damp) carpet on the driver's side in the rear footwell. I can't really tell if it's coolant (doesn't have the coolant smell).

Cheapest place to order a replacement?
          www.ubertechnik.com

Comment

Optimo-
            That is what I had. Sounds right. Easy way to check. Pull the center console out along with the under dash cover. The heater core is center of the dash. Once you can see it, start the car and you should see the leaking coolant. Make sure it is not an oring or the valve leaking instead of the core. If you have been losing coolant slowly, that will be a good indication.
            I don't think there is a "cheap" place to buy the core. However, I got mine from Maximillian. Easy replacement job.

John
            88M3 henna

73T100C
            97 540\6-Gone
            2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

Who/What/Where is Maximillian?
              www.ubertechnik.com

Comment

A leaky core should not result in a wet floor behind the seats. That is a whole other issue by itself. :(

Maximillian Importing Company. Online Parts sales I think, although I cant find their web address.

You'll need to pull your center console and see if you have a plastic or metal core heater core before you order one.

Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Thanks. I need to snake my sunroof drains tomorrow. If it was coolant I'd be able to smell it in the footwell.

I definitely smell coolant when the heat is on, however.

Then I need to take off the front bumper and remove all my AC plumbing and troubleshoot my aux fan. So much work, so little time to do it. :(
                  www.ubertechnik.com

Comment

just guessing here....

If you have a coolant smell with the heat on but no coolant leaking to the carpet it might mean that your core is leaking. Since there are drains at the bottom of the heater box where the core is located that lead under the car. So it would not necessarily get on the carpet. You could possibly see evidence under the car in the way of coolant dripping though the outlets might dump onto the top of the trans housing...
                    Petro

Comment

Originally posted by petro
                      just guessing here....

If you have a coolant smell with the heat on but no coolant leaking to the carpet it might mean that your core is leaking. Since there are drains at the bottom of the heater box where the core is located that lead under the car. So it would not necessarily get on the carpet.
                      Correct.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Originally posted by OPTIMO
                        Who/What/Where is Maximillian?
                        Maximillian 1-800-950-2002
                        Ask for Jim, he bought my old M so he know these cars.
                        88M3 henna

73T100C
                        97 540\6-Gone
                        2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

Here is Max's website:

http://bimmer.com/

Joey
                          http://JoeysM3.com

Comment

Related to this post - how do you remove the coolant smell from the car. I suspect that this car had leaking coolant at the heater core long before I bought it. The smell is one with the carpet now and I'm not sure the best way to try and get it out (I even thought about stripping the carpet because it smells funny). The seats also have the smell but I'm hoping they won't be in the car much longer.

Any ideas?
                            www.ubertechnik.com

Comment

Originally posted by JEDM3
                              Sounds right. Guess I'll order a replacement.
                              Thanks Guys!
                              John
                              Be advised that there are two different versions available.

m

Comment

Working...
                              X