Water problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water problem

My front driver side floor is getting wet in the rain. Any suggestions how to resolve this, Drain lines, etc? And where the water is coming in from?

make sure the moonroof drains are clear, the cowl drains are clear, and make sure the clear plastic vapor barrier is intact and correctly glued to the door. (look for dust/water tracks around the bottom length of the sill.)
    m.

Comment

The windshield seal also has small drain holes. Windshield installers sometimes forget to keep the glue out of them. To see these you need to pull the little black grills off in the panel just below the windshield. The holes are about half the size of a pencil and are located in the corners.

Also, feel down around where the wires from your fuse box come in through the firewall and in the upper aft corners of your wheel well. You’re looking for rust holes. Here are a few pics of what can happen...

You are looking at the LH side firewall from the inside. You can even see the LH front suspension spring through the hole. This was the fate of my firewall and the beginning of my restoration project. Scary... I know.

Below is a pic of the same hole looking up through the wheel well.

Also, make sure it's water and not brake fluid. Clutch master cylinders can spring a leak wetting the driver’s side carpet. You've also got the old heater valve housing failure. From what I understand it’s usually a sudden thing if it were that.

But most likely it’s the sunroof drain as Mark said. What I like to do is pass a few feet of safety wire all the way down through the bottom, enough to grab ahold of. Then wrap a few feet of it up so it takes the shape of a spiral and pull it out the bottom. This will 'gently' clean the inner walls of the drain. Coat hangers can actually do some damage so I try to stay away from them.

HTH,
      Jake Larsen
      Last edited by Jake; 06-23-2012, 06:17 AM. Reason: Fixed links

Comment

There's also the rubber seal which is missing from the first pic Jake has posted. It is located in the center. It can pop-out easily.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
          The windshield seal also has small drain holes. Windshield installers sometimes forget to keep the glue out of them. To see these you need to pull the little black grills off in the panel just below the windshield. The holes are about half the size of a pencil and are located in the corners.

Also, feel down around where the wires from your fuse box come in through the firewall and in the upper aft corners of your wheel well. You’re looking for rust holes. Here are a few pics of what can happen...

You are looking at the LH side firewall from the inside. You can even see the LH front suspension spring through the hole. This was the fate of my firewall and the beginning of my restoration project. Scary... I know.

Below is a pic of the same hole looking up through the wheel well.

Also, make sure it's water and not brake fluid. Clutch master cylinders can spring a leak wetting the driver’s side carpet. You've also got the old heater valve housing failure. From what I understand it’s usually a sudden thing if it were that.

But most likely it’s the sunroof drain as Mark said. What I like to do is pass a few feet of safety wire all the way down through the bottom, enough to grab ahold of. Then wrap a few feet of it up so it takes the shape of a spiral and pull it out the bottom. This will 'gently' clean the inner walls of the drain. Coat hangers can actually do some damage so I try to stay away from them.

HTH,
          Jake Larsen
          Jake, do you still have these pics? Can you repost them if you do? I am trying to locate a good sharp picture of the bulkhead area with everything removed from the interior of the car but am having a hard time finding one.

Comment

Hi Todd. I fixed the ones above but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for. Here are some new ones that show the entire firewall after depopulation.

HTH,
            Jake

Comment

Thanks Jake, your the best.
              Exactly what i am looking for.

Comment

Working...
              X