Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todd black 88
    replied
    I have pulled the entire interior, except the dash, and there is zero rust anywhere visible. I have pulled the fuse box and the firewall sound deadening and all is clean there also. Drivers side appears to be coming from a seam where the side of the car meets the firewall.

If i flood the vents and let the water stand in there by blocking the drains, nothing leaks. It only leaks when it drains out the sides.

Leave a comment:

• inastrangeland
    replied
    Firewall. The water gets into the blower vents and the seam sealer has given way, causing rust through the firewall into the interior of the car. You have to look behind the wire loom below the dash. This area was completely rusted out on my car. Had to replace the firewall along with a lot of other rust areas on the car. Sorry to hear about this, it's a lot of work but it needs immediate attention.

Leave a comment:

• Todd black 88
    replied
    Originally posted by Todd black 88 View Post
    Anyone have any ideas?

It seems like the water goes out the sides of the air inlets to the fan, then somehow gets back inside via the Ac lines.
    Does anyone have a pic with the front fenders removed to see if there are any channels back in.

Anyone have an idea? The water that drains into the fender area somehow finds its way back into the car up high under the dash, on both sides. Anyone had a similar issue?

Gulp....help

Leave a comment:

• Todd black 88
    replied
    Anyone have any ideas?

It seems like the water goes out the sides of the air inlets to the fan, then somehow gets back inside via the Ac lines.
    Does anyone have a pic with the front fenders removed to see if there are any channels back in.

Leave a comment:

• Todd black 88
    replied
    Ok, here we go.

I have found multiple spots where water gets into my car, the problem is i dont know how the water gets to those spots.

1/. I have water leaking from the area where the ac lines enter the cabin, behind the glove box. They show up in the engine bay. I cannot for he life of me figure out how the water gets there, as its under the hood and dry.

2/. Water dripping down the drivers side corner where the firwall meets the side panel the speakers are on, up under the dash. It looks like the seam sealer on the drivers side heater air inlet ( where the wiper linkage sits) has cracked and split open. Would that be causing water to get in by getting past that seam? Anyone know what is under that seam? There are no rust areas that i can see, and i have everything but the dash out. Fusebox moved also.

3/. Heavy rains cause water to leak around the heater box gasket as well as the gromet where the heater lines come in. The first one i understand, as the gasket is original and 24 years old. Has anyone succesfully sealed it up or replaced it without pulling the dash?

The leak on the grommet makes no sense to me as i also comes through the engine bay and is dry on that side. Only thing i can think of is that seam in #2 is dripping into a channel below it and these wires/ac lines/ heater lines run through his channel? I have never had the hoses or ac lines etc removed so i have not visibly seen if there is actually anothe void in there. Anyone know for sure? Jake? Your car is stripped right now right?.............Gulp.......help.

Thanks for reading if you got this far, and i hope you can help.

Cheers
    todd

Leave a comment:

• orb0554
    replied
    Did you get this resolved? If so, how did you replace the gasket?

Leave a comment:

• jht3
    replied
    well found it

water is getting past the 20yr old gasket that seals the heater box to the cowl. i tightened down the four nuts, but i don't think that's going to cut it

has anyone changed that gasket w/o taking apart the entire dash?

Leave a comment:

• jht3
    replied
    well i can stick my finger into the hole. i'll be pulling the access panel for further investigation

as for the windshield seal, i have no idea how to go about checking that out

Leave a comment:

• Todd black 88
    replied
    Windshield seal? Or... the line to the elephant drain is plugged. My elephant drain was so plugged when I bought my car, the blockage continued into the drain itself.

Leave a comment:

• jht3
    replied
    well after the 8" of rain we got here the last few days it's like i didn't even close the windows in my car. elephant drain wasn't even connected, so that aint it

pass side is a complete disaster, drivers side is slightly better. i believe i can trace the water up the tranny tunnel along the firewall, but from there it disappears as i can't see any further. that's why my guess as to where the heater box bolts up

it's like a complete kick in the nuts as i had JUST put the interior back in and was patting myself on the back for a job well done. so now it's time to strip the carpet and other bits out and try again

Leave a comment:

• Magnus
    replied
    I don't think it has anything to do with the heater box (remember I know nothing).

I think you need to run some tests. Break-out a hose and "make it rain!" Light the
    whole area up and watch for leaks. For comfort, either remove the seats, or adjust it to the
    flattest position. Then remove the center consoles (back, front, upper). Also, remove
    the glovebox and Ecu cover.

Leave a comment:

• jht3
    replied
    found my elephant drain was clogged up

carpet is still getting soaked....on both sides

is there a seal around the heater box or something?

Leave a comment:

• jht3
    replied
    well sonofa.......

it poured here the last 2 days. so tonight i decided to check on my car. carpet is still out so i figured if i have any leaks, they'll be super easy to find. welllllllllllll, i popped open the pass side door so as not to disturb anything on my drivers side and what do i discover?

about an inch of standing water on the PASSENGER side. drivers side is bone dry, but wtf!?!?! i discovered a small trail of water coming from way up behind the aircon/heater box. i'm guessing i need to check the screws holding it to the firewall and also make sure water is clearing out the elephant trunk. i've never had a problem on this side before, so i'm guessing its a combo of the heavy rains and a drain i havent checked on in a year+

Leave a comment:

• jht3
    replied
    UPDATE (yes another)

with the help of [email protected], i believe my car is repaired. aint gonna win any car shows, but it should be structurally sound and water tight. i wish i had pics but i forgot my camera

after inspecting other e30's at the shop, we discovered that the area under the fusebox should be flat. mine was bent 90* about halfway between the strut tower and firewall, and was pulling the spot welds from the firewall. a SpecE30 at the shop also exhibits the same exact structural problems, so i'll try and get some pics of that as the "before"

so i broke out the MAPP torch and scraped all the old sealer, paint, and undercoating from the area, which also had the effect of revealing just how big one of the cracks had become. james then pounded the metal as flat as he could (it has stretched), which also started forcing the fender back to where it should be against the firewall. he then stitched the tears with the MIG and welded a rectangular piece of flat metal stock against the firewall and stitched it to the top of the fender. i then used Wurth seam sealer on both sides of the repair as well up behind the dash. i followed up with rubber undercoating underneath and spray paint above.

next up i'll probably get the cabrio reinforcements welded in and install the sparco bar that's been in my closet (i could never get it to fit)

i also found the time to install new exhaust clamps (vw parts), new parking brake shoes, plug the nail in my tire, and swap out my track pads. so i think it was a very successful weekend. i'll report back in with some pics and whether or not it's still dry after the rain we got today

Leave a comment:

• jht3
    replied
    UPDATE

well i found the source and it's a compound problem

1) below the fusebox it appears the fender is separating from the firewall
    2) there is a crack forming its way from the separation towards the strut tower
    3) inside the car, way up under the dash there is a hole and crack that matches up with #1

so what seems it happen is water enters the scuttle area below the wiper arm, then somehow makes its way to the separation then through the hole and into the floorboard. its a very complicated area where all this is going on and isn't easy to get to. where i think this all started is from an accident the previous owner had and it wasn't repaired well. i'm going to take it to a body shop this week and see what the diagnosis is. :(

Leave a comment:

Working...
X