• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLDTM3R
    replied
    Originally posted by Dietrich View Post
    OLDTM3R ,

Nice work. Mystery solved and with a happy ending.

-Dietrich
    Thanks Dietrich. Car is up for sale if anyone is interested

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25734

Edwin

Leave a comment:

• Dietrich
    replied
    OLDTM3R ,

Nice work. Mystery solved and with a happy ending.

-Dietrich

Leave a comment:

• OLDTM3R
    replied
    Just an update... I ended up replacing the windshield to confirm there is no rust... and there isn't. Here's the pics

After taking out the old windshield but before cleaning off the old urethane

After taking off old urethane

Cleaned

Passenger side

Final product

Leave a comment:

• loonibab325i
    replied
    That is what I was thinking, my # 1 main concern is rust being UNDER the windshield, I know the leaking stuff is not rust, but it's not urathine, (the black stuff used to put windshields on). The only logical reason why I think their would be glue or some kind of "sealent", is a attempt to fix a leak.

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    Nah, I think that's someone's attempt to fix a leak. 1) windshield glue should not make it out that far, and 2) it's black, not clear. If there was a leak and this is the 'temp fix' then water definately got between the windshield and the frame. You're likely to find rust as a result.

Jake

Leave a comment:

• AlpineRunner
    replied
    Well no one, including OLDTM3R, can know if there is rust under the strip unless it is removed or has been removed recently. However, that stuff in the picture is not rust.

Leave a comment:

• Lumanikus
    replied
    Originally posted by ADA///M View Post
    just looks like a crappy window install
    +1

Leave a comment:

• d2a4
    replied
    The rubber seal on M3 is glue in on the glass side, but not the other side, so you can lift it up a bit by hand to see under it.

Leave a comment:

• loonibab325i
    replied
    I beleive, AND HOPE it's just a crapy install, again, the owner (OLDTM3R) swears to me there is no rust, and I really do trust him, it's just the fact that again, you never know, untill you take of the windshield!

Leave a comment:

• ADA///M
    replied
    just looks like a crappy window install

Leave a comment:

• onutsguy
    replied
    It does look like some type of sealant to me, though.... Wierd. Let us know what you end up finding out.

Scott

Leave a comment:

• anonymer
    replied
    looks fishy

in my experience the previous owner decided to use some kind of goop (but he chose black) to hide the real problemo.

the good thing is that it happens so often to these cars you can find someone who has done a handful of these repairs in the past.

hardtailer makes a good point. just running your hands up there and feeling around should let you know whats going on.

Leave a comment:

• hardtailer
    replied
    remove the driver's side wiper and then the little black grill/cover. Look in there with a small mirror and flash light.

If you see no rust there, especially around the tiny (2-3mm) drain holes in the corner, you're ok.

The yellowed stuff is definately not original but a later try to get it to seal properly. I dont think it's wind screen bond either.

Leave a comment:

• loonibab325i
    replied
    Thank you,

So if i pull up the strip, and look in there, and see no rust, you think I would be ok?

Leave a comment:

• UNHCLL
    replied
    Windshields are bonded in, but every one I've seen has been with black adhesive, and no 'squeeze' out.

You can pull back the windshield strip to reveal more.
    There is no lock strip on an M3 windshield.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X