Bad rust around windshield...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad rust around windshield...

I just bought an E30 M3. It has rust that has caused several pencil eraser seized holes under the windshield the typical spots. How would this be repaired? Would metal be cut and new metal welded in?

I'm just wondering, this is my track car so I couldn't care less about looks. Of course, at some point that might change. I am interested, however about how to keep the rust from spreading.... I'm thinking sand paper and spray paint will do for now (I know I know, it hurts some of you to hear that but TRACK CAR).

unless you go inside and cut & grind it out you won't prevent it from spreading, it will just keep boiling up and rot away from the inside
    A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Plan on losing the car for the winter.

Windsheild cowel rust = the devil. It will spread under the window and destroy the whole front cowel. Just ask Jake to post pics of his car.

Get it taken care of ASAP. It'll be $$$ but worth it in the long run.
      Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

You can buy the scuttle pan and simply have it welded in. Just make sure they use the upper part and cut the lower part off. You don't want them to remove the VIN # area in the rear of the hood.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Hhhhmmmm.

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...highlight=rust
          http://www.s14.net/forums/search.php

Comment

Originally posted by Searchy!
            Hhhhmmmm.

I was waiting for that
            A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

You should be able to order a scuttle panel from your dealer with your vin number stamped in at the factory. The dealer will ask you for proof of ownership and would want to see the orginal licience document. The part cost peanuts, but fitting is the expensive bit. I recently obtained one from my dealer and is being fitted next week.
              E30 M3 for the Road
              & one for the Track &
              a S14 2002 for fun

Comment

how much did you pay for the scuttle piece and do you have a part number? im replacing my window soon and i found some rust under there also.

thanks
                chris
                Old School

Comment

D.R.,

We all love race/track prepared cars. NONE of us have an issue/problem with it at all. There were issues regarding a single member. His posts were taken to be negative and judgemental. Rumor had it that he only wanted an E30 M3 to rip it up, thump on it for a year or two then toss it to the trash. Something regarding the "new" hot car being allowed into a new scca class, then trashing it in 1-2 years for the very next "hot car."

Just thought I'd clear it up. We do accept track only cars!

We accept every e30 m owner....

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Originally posted by Searchy!
                    Hhhhmmmm.

Searchy has been out in full force as of late. When starting a new thread, maybe you could make it so a little window pops up and asks if you have tried searching for your topic before proceeding. You would have to click yes to proceed. Just a thought.......

-Clayton
                    Last edited by greateratlanta; 06-28-2004, 06:58 AM.

Comment

I did try a search, actually. But problem is I couldn't find anything pretaining to having a LOT of rust, which I do.

But it doesn't seem to matter the amount if the whole piece will eventually be ripped out.

Comment

Here is some info and pictures.

http://www.davelength.net/car/m3/index.html

Compliments of Dave Adams

Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus

We all love race/track prepared cars. NONE of us have an issue/problem with it at all. There were issues regarding a single member. His posts were taken to be negative and judgemental. Rumor had it that he only wanted an E30 M3 to rip it up, thump on it for a year or two then toss it to the trash. Something regarding the "new" hot car being allowed into a new scca class, then trashing it in 1-2 years for the very next "hot car."
                          don't you just hate it when people jump to the wrong, misinformed conclusion :p

Comment

Originally posted by aaron_silva
                            Here is some info and pictures.

http://www.davelength.net/car/m3/index.html

Compliments of Dave Adams

Aaron
                            I noticed a few bubbles around my windshield near the bottom. Nothing huge, but I'm thinking next winter I may have to undertake a similar project. Forcus for this winter is getting her track worthy again. Track all next year then come winter, redo the shell. Not really looking forward to it, but I'll have a white E30 M3 after all when I'm done with it.
                            www.ubertechnik.com

Comment

I don`t think it is worth trying to repair it. I think the brand new piece from BMW was around £35 ukpounds. Fitting it isn`t cheap, neither would repairing it properly be. Mind had been repaired by the previous owner. Although it looked nicer to the eye for him I am sure, the major part of rust was not visible I don`t think so it just spread again from that area and got even worse where you couldn`t see it. Do it properly, cut out the old complete panel and weld in a new one. Have a good look around for other rusty bits underneath while it`s out too

1988 Evo II

2006 Z4 3.0Si Sport Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X