funny smell in car!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• funny smell in car!!

Hey guys. lately when i trun on the heat in my car i get the smell of antifreeze....what could this be....also sometimes when i really "get on the car" there are smells of gas in the car like strong fumes(one of my buddys' eyes get irritatedand he cant see well when this happens)..this is killing me...:sosad:

thanks for any help in advance
    Joey
    http://JoeysM3.com

Ther car will smell like gas for the first few minutes. If it continues than I would guess that you have a hole in your exhaust.

Coolant smell
    http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...ht=heater+core
    http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...ht=heater+core

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Thanks alot Magnus......

Comment

smell of gas in the car & fumes can be the boot seal. When you have windows or sun roof open this will be alot worse.

Comment

Originally posted by UK215M3
          smell of gas in the car & fumes can be the boot seal. When you have windows or sun roof open this will be alot worse.
          Hey thanks alot UK.....But what exactly is the boot seal??? Does that have something to do with the rubber around the shifter rod maybe?????

thanks
          Joey

Comment

Sorry to jump in here UK215M3, just a thought on your post....

The boot seal could be 1 of 2 things, the rubber gasket around the trunk(boot in the UK) lid or the 'vents' on either side, inside the trunk. Take a look at the battery area in the trunk and just above you will see a rectangular hole....item 10 on the picture below.....if these get blocked, then the inside of the car cannot 'breathe' - They also contain a non return flap which will work the opposite way but allowing fumes to enter if this flap has perished......

Link to this picture Online ETK Part...
            Last edited by Nostrils; 10-17-2004, 04:06 AM.
            Phil
            E30 M3 - The Original Inspiration

Comment

my thought: the heather radiator ... had the same thing going on ... next step is coolant on the carpets

Comment

Check the coolant hoses that go into the firewall behind the motor. The HVAC intake and fan is just above them and it might be the place to look for wetness or staining.

Comment

Bumping this 'cause I just started getting a fuel smell the other day...

Magnus' reply interested me because when I got home after first smelling gas, I got out of the car and heard what sounded like a small exhaust leak. I take it that for that to lead to smelling gas, the leak would have to be upstream of the cats, correct?

When I was checking under the hood for fuel leaks (I couldn't see anything obvious), the smell was pretty strong on the driver's side. Almost non-existant on the passenger side. When driving, I only smelled anything while stopped. Windows and sunroof were open... finally some nice weather!

Does this sound like the exhaust leak is causing the gas smell?

Thanks,
                  Mark
                  Mark

Comment

Not on an M3 but on another car, I had a similar issue. It turned out to be a plugged fuel filter that was overflowing/leaking. Check fuel lines under the car?
                    -kevin

Comment

Originally posted by mssVT98
                      Bumping this 'cause I just started getting a fuel smell the other day...

Magnus' reply interested me because when I got home after first smelling gas, I got out of the car and heard what sounded like a small exhaust leak. I take it that for that to lead to smelling gas, the leak would have to be upstream of the cats, correct?

When I was checking under the hood for fuel leaks (I couldn't see anything obvious), the smell was pretty strong on the driver's side. Almost non-existant on the passenger side. When driving, I only smelled anything while stopped. Windows and sunroof were open... finally some nice weather!

Does this sound like the exhaust leak is causing the gas smell?

Thanks,
                      Mark
                      Lay on the floor next to the drivers door, peek under where the rear of the door meets the body. Your fuel filter is right there, when the car is running you might be leaking fuel there. It's happened to my car in the past.

Comment

Thanks guys... I'll check the filter. I hope it's that easy.

Mark
                        Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X