Tow Hook Cover install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow Hook Cover install

ok, So i know this should be incredably easy, but in my usual mess up every thing easy way i can not figure out how the are sopposed to go in. do the just snap into place? my car is a 1990, What do i need to do to install them. where do the metal clips/straps go? Thanks.

WOW...we dont even have this covered...i cant even say search...i so wanted to tho...damn...

Its pretty easy...have you tried it yet? You should be able to figure it out by looking at it...thats about the best i can explain

Comment

Looking at the back of the ETH cover w/ part number facing you- Metal clips slide down into top 2 sections & snap into place- The black straps pull through the 2 lower cut-outs on the bottom, then push through your bumper cover (the straps hold them from flying off, if ever popped off during spirited driving)

The 928 cover is the passengers side, 927 is the drivers side-

HTH-
      Don
      Don McAdams
      1988 E30 M3
      "E30 M3 Owner & Enthusiast"

www.McAdamsAutoSport.com

Comment

Just get Euro tow hook covers and be done with those.

Comment

ADA///M- I know how much you like to tell people to search. Sorry, better luck next time:p

Don- Thanks, my problem it that there was paint in the top slots so the clips would not slide in so i figuerd i was doing it wrong.

Comment

have you also changed your air intake?
            The stock intake uses those slots in the stock tow hook cover (on the driver side)
            bruce

Comment

with the euro tow hooks it's best to go w/ the evo lower airbox and intake tube. i have all these part in a box and it is my understanding i have to pull the bumper off to install the snorkel. 2 bolts and a couple electrical connections is all right?
              James
              sigpic

Comment

yup, put something under the bumper when you undo the bolts so it doesn't drop too far before you can get to the light connectors.

bruce

Comment

Originally posted by jht3
                  with the euro tow hooks it's best to go w/ the evo lower airbox and intake tube. i have all these part in a box and it is my understanding i have to pull the bumper off to install the snorkel. 2 bolts and a couple electrical connections is all right?
                  Just did this today.
                  you can get to the light wires from the engine bay, just remove the plastic covers. there are 3 connections on each side. a round plug, a blue rectangular plug and the turn signal plug directly on the back of the turn signal/running lights. (these have enough wire to remove the bumper befor disconnecting.)
                  the temp sensor, just under the left fog light, it has a connector inboard of the left tow hook cover, or you can just pull it out of the bumper cover from the back.

remove two hex screws in from the bottom just forward of the tires
                  remove the 2 square covers over the mount nuts
                  remove the 2 ea 19mm nuts
                  gently slide the bumper forward.

I reattached the bumper gasket to the top of the bumper with 2 sided tape (restreched it to fill the gaps, we will see if it holds up)

check the screws that hold the side brackets to the cover. (the ones that slide on the side frames) there are 4 screws per side, I was missing two upper ones on the left side.

you might want to tap the metal side supports in a little to tighten up the sides. you will see what I mean when you look at it.

reverse for installation
                  GraemeD

Comment

Didnt the 1990 cars already come with the evo box and snorkel?
                    1990 BMW M3
                    1988 Lamborghini Countach
                    2004 Mercedes Benz S500 Lorinser
                    2005 Mercedes Benz ML 500
                    2006 Mercedes Benz ML 500

Comment

Evo airbox yes, snorkel no.

Comment

Is part #8 instead of the foam ring or in addition to it? I dont know that I have this part. My airbox butts up against the foam ring but #8 looks like some type of rubber joint between the airbox and intake tube.

Any ideas?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=13&fg=20
                        Petro

Comment

the picture is wrong, but if you order the part you will get the correct foam donut. now i haven't actually verified if the part number shown is the RIGHT one, you'll have to search around for the part list. i'm just saying don't always believe the pictures in the ETK

i have a question though, how many rubber bumpers are supposed to suspend the airbox? i've got the long skinny one on the frame rail, but my friend says there's supposed to be another one on the airbox support bracket.
                          James
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by petro
                            Is part #8 instead of the foam ring or in addition to it? I dont know that I have this part. My airbox butts up against the foam ring but #8 looks like some type of rubber joint between the airbox and intake tube.

Any ideas?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=13&fg=20
                            Petro,

I ordered the part shown on realoem and received the correct foam donut from the dealer. FIY...
                            Anders

"Objects in mirror are losing..."

Comment

And a few more pointers I copied the last time this was kicked around......

Looking at the back of the ETH cover w/ part number facing you- Metal clips slide down into top 2 sections & snap into place- The black straps pull through the 2 lower cut-outs on the bottom, then push through your bumper cover (the straps hold them from flying off, if ever popped off during spirited driving)

The 928 cover is the passengers side, 927 is the drivers side-

yup, put something under the bumper when you undo the bolts so it doesn't drop too far before you can get to the light connectors.

Good Luck,
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X