Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• erik bernstein
    replied
    if your still having problems pm or email me your # and I,ll talk you through it.

Leave a comment:

• erik bernstein
    replied
    I run the complete evoIII front end, and it looks like the piece you don,t have is the vertical part that may or may not have the cutouts for brake ducts. the rear portion of part#1 mounts to the forward portion of the fender liner. the cage nuts mount the bottom of the bumper to the piece that has the brake cutouts in it, kinda like a bellypan. I hope that helps

Leave a comment:

• Ratinoff
    replied
    Originally posted by anonymer View Post
    i apologize for not reading the thread thoroughly Ratinoff but check out p/n: 51712233043

its the "other" sport evo undertray for heat/overspray and i think its the belly pan your wondering about.

No first hand experience with these parts (yet!) so i cant tell you if it completes the puzzle in the mounting department.
    Thanks for the input. I found this thread to be very helpful:

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...highlight=tray

I still haven't solved my problem, but have made some headway.

Leave a comment:

• The///MadCircle
    replied
    Originally posted by S14E30 View Post
    The rubber piece goes into the bumper like a plug. It has a nut in it. Then the screw and washer are bolted to it holding the lip and under tray to the bumper. You may also want to get some loneger screws, since some were hard to catch on the nut due to the length.
    I believe what you are referring to is called a Well-nut... Compressing the well nut gently from behind as you thread the screw helps, if you have the access.

BTW, Was the part you are describing P/N 7129926512, or something else?

Cheers,
    Erik

Leave a comment:

• anonymer
    replied
    i apologize for not reading the thread thoroughly Ratinoff but check out p/n: 51712233043

its the "other" sport evo undertray for heat/overspray and i think its the belly pan your wondering about.

No first hand experience with these parts (yet!) so i cant tell you if it completes the puzzle in the mounting department.

Leave a comment:

• Ratinoff
    replied
    Originally posted by paintpro21 View Post
    I have a brand new factory evo 3 splitter I'm trying to install. it came with a baggy of screws washers and plugs. The PO bought all these parts but never put it on. There doesn't seem to be the right amount of any of the parts to install this so I need to go to the dealer and pick up a lot more screws and what not to mount it. My problem is the diagram that you can find on realoem.com is not clear at all. Specifically I don't know what set of parts I need to mount it to the front bumper itself. and then what parts mount the splitter to undertray part. also it seems there are two setting the little rectangle opening can be set to. but neither one is totally closed. do people even mount that part, and if so what holds it up and what position?

If there was a good diagram of what parts went were (other then the realoem one) that would help a lot.
    I'm currently installing a Sport Evolution Front Splitter (BMW Part # 51112233041) and Spoiler Front (BMW Part # 51112233040) and have run into the same issue as you. RealOEM.com does not provide an accurate quantity numbers for hardware required to mount the Sport Evolution Front spoiler assembly. Once my installation is finished I will list all of the proper quantities.

The only thing now stopping me from installing the Sport Evo Front Splitter assembly is that I'm unclear as to how to mount the rear portion of Spoiler Front (see item 1 in diagram below) More specifically, what do the holes at the rear of this part mount to? (Please note that all of the parts are BMW OEM, ordered from my local BMW dealership, so there should be no fitting issues, which so far there have not been.)

What makes this installation so peculiar is that according to the digram you are supposed to use cage nuts (Item # 9 in the digram seen above) to mount the rear portion of spoiler front to the somewhere on the car, but cage nuts are used to mount something/anything to metal, however, if you remove the belly pan there is no metal to mount the rear part of the spoiler front to. In fact, there is nothing to mount the rear spoiler front to if the belly pan is removed.

So the next logical step would be to drill holes in the belly pan and use the cage nuts to mount the rear portion of the spoiler front to the belly pan. But that makes no sense because that would require you to disassemble the front spoiler assembly just the get the belly pan off, and BMW engineers would never design something to operate like this considering that it would increase time required to perform even the most basic service.

So this leads me to my main question, how do you mount the rear portion of the spoiler front to the car? I'm I missing some mounting bracket only found on a Sport Evolution model. If anyone on this forum owns an genuine Sport Evolution and has had the front bumper removed from the front of car, can you please tell me how the rear part of the spoiler front is connected? Do Sport Evolutions have different belly pans than all other E30 M3's?

I'm really in a quandary right now so any help would be appreciated. Please feel free to PM or post a reply. I would even be happy to speak to someone of the phone, even if they were in Europe if that could explain to me how to resolve this mounting issue. Thanks for the help in advance.

Leave a comment:

• Ash
    replied
    rvuorenr, you are correct. It is related to engine bay pressure.
    However, just how effective it is is hard to say.

Ash

Leave a comment:

• rvuorenr
    replied
    Should have perused the factory documents first...

"Alle Karosseriespalten im Bugbereich (Scheinwerfer, Frontziergitter und Frontklappe) sind zus√§tzlich abgedichtet, um eine noch g√ľnstigere Aerodynamik zu erreichen" - BMW AG Presse

But I'm still wondering if the seals did have something to do with the airflow through the front to under car.

Leave a comment:

• rvuorenr
    replied
    Well, I thought the seals around headlights, front grille and hood were there to reduce the airflow through the engine compartment in order to maximize the pressure difference. This was my initial thought when I first time saw them on a genuine Sport Evo. Never thought they were to reduce the drag, at least the ones at around the front parts of the car. But this is just my reasoning without any knowledge.

I wonder if there's any factory data concerning these seals ?
    Last edited by rvuorenr; 10-30-2006, 09:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AlpineRunner
    replied
    I don't see the connection. Are you saying the splitter works with the hood seals somehow? The splitter is for downforce and the hood seals are to reduce drag over the car. There is merit in matching the E3 splitter with the E3 rear wing, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Ash
    replied
    Most people feel they are essentially cosmetic with minor/negliable performance gains. For a set of seals and grills you could get a Sport Evo airbox bottom end and a new filter.

But what do I know, BMW thought it was worth doing...

Ash

Leave a comment:

• rvuorenr
    replied
    I notice a lot of people adding the splitter but not sealing the engine bay with evo seals around bonnet, lights and grille. Any spesific reason for this ?

Leave a comment:

• JEDM3
    replied
    Yes, Don can hook you up...

Originally posted by AlpineRunner
    Is it possible to buy just the piece that goes against the bumper? I want to get that from BMW, but mate it to an aftermarket CF splitter. Where can I buy just the middle piece? Don?

Leave a comment:

• AlpineRunner
    replied
    Is it possible to buy just the piece that goes against the bumper? I want to get that from BMW, but mate it to an aftermarket CF splitter. Where can I buy just the middle piece? Don?

Leave a comment:

• AlpineRunner
    replied
    This may help http://www.bayareamotorsport.com/spl..._splitter.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X