Evo 3 Splitter Removal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evo 3 Splitter Removal.

My evo 3 splitter has a split in it, As I hit a bump last summer, I bought me a new one, And want to install it in the next few days, So i got under the car last nite to try and undo the bolts under the splitter. But ALL of them just 'turn', They didn t seem to undo, So i went to the shed and found my bottle of WD-40, Thought this would do the trick, But no luck same old thing, just turn and turn, Am I missing somthing??.
    The frunt end will be on axale stands this weekend, So maybe I can get a better look then.
    Can take a pic if it helps
    But anyone got any ideas? Rusty bolts?
    Many Thanks
    Evo

There are threaded rubber inserts that push in to the undertray and it is likley that these have seized. There is a padel in the front edge of the wheel arch that I removed in order to gain access and held the bushes with some pliers. When I replaced my splitter I used new fasteners.

see here for a diagram

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...05&hg=51&fg=15

Steve
    Last edited by stevesingo; 03-30-2006, 10:23 PM.
    Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

When I was installing my splitter, the bolt (#5 in the pic) that goes in the rubber plug (#11) required that I hold the plug while tightening the bolt as the plug would simply turn in the bumper cover.

Of course I had the bumper off the car when doing the install, so you can simply grab the plug on the inside of the bumper cover and hold it.

If the bolt has seized in there, then the actual metal insert in the plug is probably just turning within the plug itself...maybe some good vise grips will help hold it in place.

Nick

Comment

oh i got a good idea now, Will give it another go this weekend
        Thanks Guys
        Evo

Comment

I removed the padel in the front edge of the wheel arch to gain accses to the bushes, I used a pair of pliers to held them, But they just kept on slipping, I even went and bought a second pair of pliers, But that didn t seem to do the trick either..
          I think they are well and truley seized.
          So what would be the next best thing to do?
          Remove frunt bumper??
          Many Thanks
          Last edited by Evolution; 04-02-2006, 01:47 AM.
          Evo

Comment

If you can get the undertray loose it would be easiest to pull the front cover then you can easily work on everything. I am just glad I don't live in merry old england where even the plastic fasteners get stuck
            Good luck with it.
            John
            88M3 henna

73T100C
            97 540\6-Gone
            2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

Working...
            X