EVO III wing install HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVO III wing install HELP!

hey there guys. i bought a evo III replica rear wing made of fiberglass from some dude in England, it came off of a track car and has no studs to mount the wing the way the factory one is. Has anyone had the same issue? how would you go about mounting it on the trunk lid? Keep in mind that I have a larger CF Gurney flap that worries me when im gonna be driving, and here in germany on the autobahn if your not doing a min of like 60 or 70 wow buddy get off the read ya know... any help would be greatly appreciated.

I thought of using serious self taping screws and automotive body glue but thats my last resort... please help.

A special thank you to:
    archie, chutrain, carfantiti, ///M3 Terr, Jake, G2NY, Justin(OKC), Andyman746, dllance, NameIsStanley, JP, Speedvill, blyguy, MTLALEX, ///M0F01SD, Tom64, GK-E30M3, L James, ///CRISS, Das Boots, e30polak, DrWillb, Cactusjacks1, E30terry, S14E30M3 and all the S14 members who have showed support and contacted me.

Yan, I bought one of the same ones and i would recommened you not to mount it. very weak, and thats its fiberglass it doesnt fit right. Its seems to be smaller in size.. Now if you decide to use it i bought some 6mm bolts about 1 inch in lenght or so. remmember that the front of the wing is not as deep as that back so be careful you dont drive the bolt through the fiberglass.
    Good luck
    Tony

Ps. does you wing not have bolts moulded into it?
    -Tony-
    1991 M3 10Km
    1989 M3
    BEGINS HERE

Comment

I have one of these wings en route.
      www.ubertechnik.com

Comment

tony it doesnt have bolts mounted in. i took the factory one off and saw how they stick out, the one i have is flat on the bottom of the ends. the guy said they were not hollow and that it is a 1:1 replica of the evo wing. I hope he was telling the truth. any other ideas guys?

by the way what did you do with ur wing tony? sell it? got any pics of it mounted or in the process of it?

A special thank you to:
        archie, chutrain, carfantiti, ///M3 Terr, Jake, G2NY, Justin(OKC), Andyman746, dllance, NameIsStanley, JP, Speedvill, blyguy, MTLALEX, ///M0F01SD, Tom64, GK-E30M3, L James, ///CRISS, Das Boots, e30polak, DrWillb, Cactusjacks1, E30terry, S14E30M3 and all the S14 members who have showed support and contacted me.

Comment

Originally posted by OPTIMO
          I have one of these wings en route.
          Optimo, these guys havn't bought one from me, mine use a 13mm counter sunk bolt so they havn't come from me so no need to panic.

Comment

martin, what does it look like? can i do it to my wing? do you have photos you can share??? please if so i want to know, maybe i can still save it.

Originally posted by martin
            Optimo, these guys havn't bought one from me, mine use a 13mm counter sunk bolt so they havn't come from me so no need to panic.

A special thank you to:

Comment

Originally posted by Yan V. ///M3
              martin, what does it look like? can i do it to my wing? do you have photos you can share??? please if so i want to know, maybe i can still save it.
              am i right in saying your spoiler has a rivet nut type fixing for the flap ? witha small thread, if that is the case there is nothing you can do i'm afraid the ones i do use a moulded in 13mm spider nut bonded from the inside before moulding together., mine are an exact copy of a e3 spoiler as they are taken from a mould of an oem part, so the same dimensions just a lot lighter and made from 450g matting so strong aswell.
              regards
              Martin

Comment

You are my hero, Martin. Thanks for the quick response and saving me the panic freak out.
                www.ubertechnik.com

Comment

dang im not sure its at the paint shop right now. if so them im screwed is what your saying, and if not??? do you have pics you can post Martin or maybe email them to me if its easier for ya.

[email protected]

A special thank you to:

Comment

Yan, if there are no studs on the bottom of the wing, and it has a solid-core, you should be able to drill and install a helicoil. This would allow you to install a bolt from the inside of the trunklid up into the wing.
                    You would need to drill the bottom of the wing, resin coat the holes and then install the helicoil.

It sounds very strange that there are no holes on the bottom of the wing, especially if there are no studs. Maybe when you get it back from the paint shop you can post some pictures of it...

Comment

i will, ill try to get it or at least photos of it next week. maybe that will help.

A special thank you to:

Comment

i was worried for a second too, yan you need to watch what your saying and be more specific for future reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougy Fresh
                          i was worried for a second too, yan you need to watch what your saying and be more specific for future reference.
                          i have sent pics of my wing to Yan and his is different to the one's i supply, i will try to sort his one out if i can and it's not to late as in painted, don't worry this post is a bit confusing as to whos wings these are i will find out once i receive pics or the wing to sort ?
                          regards
                          Martin
                          m3grp.co.uk

Comment

Then all you guys are lucky... The one i bought Was fiberglass (hollow) and cracked when i mounted it
                            -Tony-
                            1991 M3 10Km
                            1989 M3
                            BEGINS HERE

Comment

martin thanks for all your help so far, i gotta get you photos this coming week.

A special thank you to:

Comment

Working...
                              X