No announcement yet.

Tow Hook extending too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is what I figured. I have already ordered a set of Euro Tow Hook Covers from Don McAdams. What I will do is to make a template first with all measurements and cut out a small opening for the tow hook to protrude. When I know all are set, then have the covers painted and install. I figure, a small protrusion over the cover will be fine. I will be using a Dremel tool set to have the hole done and have a professional look. I will have the hook in place to retain the stock M3 look.
    Lawrence

BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742
    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen
    '09 540i Touring 6 Spd - Son's DD
    '03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD
    '03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - My DD & Range truck
    '05 330i ZHP 6 Spd - Alternate DD
    '15 Honda Pilot - Daughter's & Grandkids Hauler

Comment

I think the tow hooks are just kinda weak. i had my car towed once with it, and the cover never fit right again.
      1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

Morale of the story.......NEVER have your M3 towed by the hook. But what are the alternative(s) to the hook??? Anybody???? Hooking up under the carriage will damage the front air dam and/or spoiler and splitter if available.
        Lawrence

'03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD

Comment

Hope you guys are using flatbeds when towing your cars. You best bet when winching the car up would probably be the rear tow hook. It's easier access without having to remove the covers. Also, you need to make sure the tow truck operator lowers the bed to the lowest angle to make the trip up the ramp.

Comment

Originally posted by chutrain View Post
            Hope you guys are using flatbeds when towing your cars. You best bet when winching the car up would probably be the rear tow hook. It's easier access without having to remove the covers. Also, you need to make sure the tow truck operator lowers the bed to the lowest angle to make the trip up the ramp.
            thanks mr. wizard.
            1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by aaronmjr View Post
              thanks mr. wizard.
              Hey, my covers fit without a problem. Just thought others might want to know.

Comment

just messin with ya. :
                1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by aaronmjr View Post
                  just messin with ya. :
                  I know. It just seems like everyone is going after me today. Anyways, I get to use some of the smilies.

Comment

The same is happening with mine! somehow I mange to put in place the cover twisting a little the cover brackets, but it doesn´t seem to be properly adjusted... at least it´s not falling every time!

Comment

Am I missing something...instead of pushing the tow hook back, move the bumper forward a bit.

I'm assuming people have tried to put an extra washer between the bumper core and where it mounts to the frame? This would let the bumper sit forward a few mm and maybe allow you to get the tow hook cover on.
                      Pat

Comment

When I reassembled my M3 about 10 years ago, I ordered brand new bumper shocks. Upon installig them it was obvious there was a problem. After measuring, I found that all bumper shocks were not equal in length. The old pair was not the same length as the new pair. Perhaps by 3 or 4mm. The parts were sent back and the replacement pair was just the same. Not to spec. Anothr set reoerwd. Same result. BMW Germany was advised of the situation. Different jigs. Different parts. Therefore, if you mix an old and a new bumper shock, chances are that the bumper will end up crooked, or that the tow hook won't clear.

Just sayin' ;-)

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                        1989 M3 racecar
                        e39 Touring

Comment

^^That's interesting information Lee. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
                            When I reassembled my M3 about 10 years ago, I ordered brand new bumper shocks. Upon installig them it was obvious there was a problem. After measuring, I found that all bumper shocks were not equal in length. The old pair was not the same length as the new pair. Perhaps by 3 or 4mm. The parts were sent back and the replacement pair was just the same. Not to spec. Anothr set reoerwd. Same result. BMW Germany was advised of the situation. Different jigs. Different parts. Therefore, if you mix an old and a new bumper shock, chances are that the bumper will end up crooked, or that the tow hook won't clear.

Just sayin' ;-)
                            +2, Lee...Now, how are we suppose to know if the the length are up to specs unless they are installed? More like trial and error. No way to find out on manufacturing dates or even manufacturer? BMW Germany should have better QA inspections.
                            Lawrence

'03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD

Comment

^^^I had several pairs shipped from Germany. And it seems that they were all the same unproper lenght. So, the only way to have bumper supports of the proper length is most likely to get original ones that were produced "back in the days" along with your car. Oh shit. Suddenly all the old rusted bumper supports will sell like gold... ;-)

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                              1989 M3 racecar
                              e39 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
                                ^^^I had several pairs shipped from Germany. And it seems that they were all the same unproper lenght. So, the only way to have bumper supports of the proper length is most likely to get original ones that were produced "back in the days" along with your car. Oh shit. Suddenly all the old rusted bumper supports will sell like gold... ;-)
                                Dealer or Maximillian would be able to get those?
                                Lawrence

'03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD

Comment

Working...
                                X