Need help mounting front bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help mounting front bumper

I have never had to do this before and when I received my m3 it was held up with some bolts and stuff though the kidney grill area. I need to know what all I am miss so here is the picture of what the car looks like now other than this I have the bumper skin and carrier but I don't know how much more there is to it but as of right now doesn't seem like it would work. I also don't have a Bentley manual. (yet)

OT but what motor you got in there?

Comment

Hi my friend. Installing a Euro S52?

Looking for diagrams?
      www.realoem.com
      www.bmwfans.info - Even allows to hotlink diagrams

Last edited by LeeVuong; 12-25-2007, 11:54 AM.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
      1989 M3 racecar
      e39 Touring

Comment

Does this look like I am missing a lot of parts like I said the car came with nothing and I have never had an e30 before all links and info is very appreciated
        I have looked at real OEM a lot and still can't figure it out also can't fine decent pictures on the net with Google I feel stupid that I swapped the car and cant figure out the damn bumper haha
        Last edited by base146ball; 12-25-2007, 12:18 PM. Reason: forgot text

Comment

From the picture, it is clear you are missing the foam pad behind the fusebox and the insulating panel on the firewall. The swap seems to have been done nicely though. What type of brake booster/MC is there in?
          Last edited by LeeVuong; 12-25-2007, 01:00 PM.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
          1989 M3 racecar
          e39 Touring

Comment

I am using Tilton floor mount pedals. Just got them installed this week I am very happy with them its the 3 pedal floor mount setup.

but back to my problem I can't seem to figure out what pecies I am missing to install the front bumper I have the black plastic guides a new bumper carrier. I have noticed that on real OEM the M3 front bumper shocks look different than what a regular e30 would use. Can anyone tell me if this is true and if so do them M ones have a threaded stem that stick out if so this all would make sense.

Comment

It looks as if the metal brackets that drop down from the the inner fender are missing, they should be in front of the front wheels, they are a welded piece, this is what the plastic brackets slide into. That picture from realoem shows the e30 nose. On the ETK it's called "Bracket Lateral Bumper left/right", my version didn't show a PN
              IIR the M cars and the later e30's had the same brackets, the early e30s with the thin bumpers didn't have them. You may have had bodywork done and e30 parts used, one indicator would be the tow hook, if it is placed vertically, they used M3 parts, if it's horizontal, they're early e30 parts.
              I had to replace one of the metal brackets, I got it from Bavauto for about $30, needs to be welded in though.
              Looks sharp, good luck.

Comment

Thank you very much I will see what I can find for part numbers and the tow hook was mounted vertically also do you recall if the mounting shocks are the same as an e30 or not?

Comment

Also should the front of my M look like this?
                  without the bottom part with the fog lights int it.

Comment

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                    1989 M3 racecar
                    e39 Touring

Comment

Sorry that I am so lost but the pictures helped soo soo much do you have anymore pictures closer sorry to be a pain but that looks so different than mine and sweet car if that is yours.

Comment

The above car is not mine. It is in England.

A quick Google should bring you tons of descriptive pictures. There are so many projects out there.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                        1989 M3 racecar
                        e39 Touring

Comment

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2882...91133688SGxwkS
                          http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2049...91133688xdhyEA

Use the view full size button to see the details. It's a big picture. These pictures are of everything that should be there except the bumper and the grills.

You are missing A LOT of pieces besides just the bumper like the metal bar that goes above the bumper and under the grills. The only things you need to actually mount the bumper on the car are those black plates with screws coming out of them at the end of the frame rails, and the brackets on the side of the car where the "wings" of the bumper slide into.
                          Last edited by AlpineRunner; 12-26-2007, 04:42 AM.
                          "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

This is most helpful thank you very much I am sorry about not knowing much about these cars but I just converted I had an e36 for a long time.

Comment

No worries at all, we're glad you've seen the light and are here.
                              "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Working...
                              X