Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fixin to be new owner! is this a good deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixin to be new owner! is this a good deal?

Hello all! first off, I want to say what a fantastic website this is and how civil and knowledgeable everyone is. Ive been lurking for quite some time now and gathering my info and it has been wonderful. I believe Ive found my baby and I wanted to get some thoughts.

car is a 1988 henna car 2nd owner. 139k on the clock, body is great cept' it was hit way back and most of the front has been replaced by oem parts, frame is straight no other body damage. it could use a coat of paint and some new badges, interior is nothing more than normal wear and tear, just a cracked dash and a slightly cracked windshield. Also it has no a/c and no glove box.

here is where it gets interesting, mechanically, its amazing. The gentleman who im buying it from is a BMW mechanic at the dealership I work for and a stud mechanic at that. He rebuilt the motor 12k ago and did the 2.5 conversion himself, and had a stage III pp job on the head done by turner. cams done by shrick, oversized valves, race springs, the upgraded oil pan (gruppe A?), 2 piece race header and supersprint exhaust w/no cat, evo III crank which he said was shot peened and knife edged, custom aluminum radiator, replaced timing chain, tensioner and motormounts also custom made forged rods and pistons

suspension has been overhauled as well w/ koni adjustables, adjustable rear sway bar, front strut tower brace etc. car has no power steering as well. he drives it daily 42 miles one way and gets 33mpg. hes not actively selling it but would like to sell it so he can get a small pickup to cart his race bike around with. He offered it to me along with all part numbers, receipts, suppliers for parts he bought from, settings on all parts (sparkplug gap etc.) stock exhaust, stock front seats and he will work on it needs something for $25 an hour and I get parts at cost because of where I work. He promised I should not need to do anything mechanically other than change the oil every 3k for quite some time.

My question is weighing the cosmetic needs vs the substantial mechanical mods, is 12k a good price? Thanks in advance for your responses! hopefully I'll be a member soon!

Good to have you. I can't say much about what the car is worth unless you have some pretty detailed pictures. Judging from your description...I would say that 12 is a little high. I would expect to pay around 10 for something like what you described. Keep us posted.

Comment

I shall! thanks for the response and keep em coming!

emery

Comment

How do you plan on using the car? If you want a pretty daily driver this might not be the one.

I'd give it high points because you know and trust the builder. Sounds like he was prepping somewhat of a track rat though, nothing wrong with that. The accident is a bummer but if it was repaired correctly and the chassis is straight it could be a good buy. Hard to say without seeing it though.

Comment

yeah, i understand its hard to say w/o seeing it, but also he also has replaced the oil pump and both fuel pumps and given it steel braided brake lines. it'll be my daily driver and it has been his as well since 98, believe it or not he doesnt track it and never has, he just doesnt care that it didnt have a/c and he preferred not having the power steering. Ive owned cars like this before and I love and prefer this type of car. BUT, altho its not hideous driving it in this condition, I would like to give it a fresh well done coat of paint, fix the cracked dash and windshield and add a/c at some point, and im looking at a few grand easy for these things, so I was wondering if it would be reasonable to offer him 10k or 10.5k and not insult the work he's put into it. dont know if this helps but he payed 8k for it. Thanks again for all your help!
          Last edited by GLiguy; 01-14-2005, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Well -- I've spent $13K on my 2.5L engine. That's just the engine. If the engine is well done, then I'd say $12k is very fair, even if the exterior is kinda ruff. I don't like the P-steering delete, especially on a daily driver. (Then again, I don't like M3 daily drivers.)

In short, I'd say it sounds like a good car for the money - but maybe not the car for your purposes. This car belongs on the track. JMHO.

Best wishes no matter what you decide.

-Dietrich

Comment

Originally posted by Mick
              How do you plan on using the car? If you want a pretty daily driver this might not be the one.

I'd give it high points because you know and trust the builder. Sounds like he was prepping somewhat of a track rat though, nothing wrong with that. The accident is a bummer but if it was repaired correctly and the chassis is straight it could be a good buy. Hard to say without seeing it though.
              I agree with Mick on this one. If you just want it for events, then it sounds pretty good. But if you want to make it into a nice looking daily driver, you need to plan on spending quite a bit of money on paint, etc

It is nice to know the history of the car and that it was owned and cared for by someone who appreciated it and knew how to take care of it.

Comment

thanks for all your help and responses, I was just wanting to make sure what he was asking was not out of line, I can get a good deal on paint and all the little stuff, so im not to worried about it, and ive owned and daily driven cars more extreme than this, so its kind of mild in comparison, again thank you all!

Comment

Well I think that is a great price not necessarily from that standpoint of traditional "value" of a car. But for what you are getting and what you are paying it is awesome! Usually you look at a car like that and see rough exterior, non-original bodywork, missing cosmetic and mechanical parts and it would be worth $8000 because mods are worth nothing.

However, you will have saved thousands!! on mechanical work. I think that the mods he put into it are worth every dime to you that it cost him...if that makes sense. The work he put into it I would estimate at $15,000, plus it's reliable enough to be his dialy driver, so yea, you are getting a great deal.
                  "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Working...
                  X