Front Suspension Help Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Suspension Help Please.

Reported last week that I installed my new Koni Shocks and koni springs, also replaced the tie rod assemblies and sway bar links. Everything was going well, but I didn't have it aligned yet. when I did get it aligned the following happened:

When I make a hard left the car tends to pull to the left after the hard 90 degree turn

When I turn right all the way it pulls hard right after the turn

If I don't exaggerate the turns it is fine?

When I turn the steering lock to lock I can see the upper perch streaching at the extreams of the turns. The alignment numbers are correct, everything else is good, the steering rack and its bushings are good. The only questionable part I did not replace are the top perches, I repacked the bearings, they were ok. but could have been better.

Execpt for this the care rides well, and is lowered a little less than 1.5 inches.

I did a search under binding, front suspension, spring perch binding, but nothing like this was found. Looking for direction
    STAN IN SARASOTA

I did another search on upper strut tower bearing, and found Micks problem of binding between the perch and tower. How did you fix this?
    STAN IN SARASOTA

Comment

Why not get the toe reset to spec first as it sounds like you may have so much toe..In or -out that the steering cannot recenter.
      Take it to a place where you get a readout of 'before' and 'after 'spec so you can see what the camber and caster looks like.
      If the shop is worth their salt, they may well tell you if your steering "bind" has another cause other than the toe setting.
      Don't tell them that the reason you're bringing it in is the steering problem as they'll charge you for diagnosis.
      m

Comment

left toe 0.14
        right toe 0.15

left caster 8.7
        right caster 8.8

frontcross caster 0.4
        cross camber 0.2
        total toe .28

they did a visual and tested the rack bushings, said everything looked ok. Test drove it and felt the problem, but really without them tearing things down that is all I can expect. If this info helps you to any further conclusions please let me know. thanks
        STAN IN SARASOTA

Comment

Did you fit the tie rods and set them to the correct length? I don'ty know about ours as I've not had my rack apart, but on VW racks, you have to make sure both tie rods are screwed on to the rack the same amount and to give a set length. Do you get the same number of turns left andright from centre position, and do the wheels appear to go to the same postions at full lock in both directions?
          Steve
          Scottish Cecotto

Comment

Problem solved.....................The dumbass who put the strut back together, put the concave washer which goes under the bearing under the spring retainer. There was nothing for the bearing to spin on. Glad I work cheap, will stop working so late at night. thanks all.
            STAN IN SARASOTA

Comment

Originally posted by SALTYKRACKER
              Problem solved.....................The dumbass who put the strut back together, put the concave washer which goes under the bearing under the spring retainer. There was nothing for the bearing to spin on. Glad I work cheap, will stop working so late at night. thanks all.
              I was just going to post that. Good work Kracker!

Jordan
              "Never lift"

Comment

Working...
              X